Experiences with non-techies

My mom called technology "useless shit that you will never need" and said that Linus' videos were "hahahaha videos (saying that I was always laughing when watching them (NOT TRUE)) and watching them is useless".

Sure, I wonder what will happen when the nontechies cannot get jobs because of their technological illiteracy while I can get a job in tech. Let's see where my understanding takes me...

Even if all you did was laugh, they could be the most useful video to a person.

Does your mother have mental, behavioral, or depression/anger issues?

PS: Yes, I realise all those other things are "mental issues".

In my computer class we learned how to use Word and Excel in addition to HTML, the teacher let me play with his[...]in the back of the room while the class struggled to use Word.

Abridged for humor.

What irks me is that my mom and dad denounce my love of tech and say that me learning it is useless but they don't tell me what I should get into. They think that watching Linus does not help me learn stuff but I have learned craploads from Linus, and I want to get into tech. I guess I will have to do what @LinusTech said:

#Man-Up

I could understand someone saying art or music is a dead end, but it sounds like your parents have sort of jealousy towards you or they have some sort of malice towards you. Maybe it makes them feel better?

-a very beautiful snip-

My mom was just angry over a grade at Saturday school today and was ranting. She normally is very nice but maintains her anti-tech position and says that I should follow journalism or (Warning! Asian stereotype coming!) become a doctor, even though I am an excellent writer I hold no interest in those professions.

My dad is a techie, mind you, and I know a smidgen more about hardware than him but he is the software geek. I schooled him on SLI/CFX and my dad says that I should come over to the software side and abandon hardware. I would like to correct my post and say that he somewhat does support my tech love but won't let me build a rig (that's a biggie) and thinks that my laptop is good enough for video editing, mind you I clicked on "Create New Project" in NetBeans IDE v8 and my entire computer froze, and it takes me an hour to render 5 minutes of 1080p video. I live a sad tech life.

In my computer class we learned how to use Word and Excel in addition to HTML, the teacher let me play with his Socket 7 rig in the back of the room while the class struggled to use Word.

But HTML is so easy. (for the most part)

My mom was just angry over a grade at Saturday school today and was ranting. She normally is very nice but maintains her anti-tech position and says that I should follow journalism or (Warning! Asian stereotype coming!) become a doctor, even though I am an excellent writer I hold no interest in those professions.

My dad is a techie, mind you, and I know a smidgen more about hardware than him but he is the software geek. I schooled him on SLI/CFX and my dad says that I should come over to the software side and abandon hardware. I would like to correct my post and say that he somewhat does support my tech love but won't let me build a rig (that's a biggie) and thinks that my laptop is good enough for video editing, mind you I clicked on "Create New Project" in NetBeans IDE v8 and my entire computer froze, and it takes me an hour to render 5 minutes of 1080p video. I live a sad tech life.

My parents want me to make an Android app so they can become millionaires.

NEWSFLASH: not every app becomes as popular as Flappy Bird or Snapchat.

While I used to write complicated .inf files for FSX, software related stuff does not interest me anymore.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

While I used to write complicated .inf files for FSX, software related stuff does not interest me anymore.

Remind that writing entertainment software is an art. Tell them that profiting on writing Android games is like profiting off being an artist or a musician.

That is so illogical for them lol. That would mean millions of devs would be millionaires. Lol

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

My mom called technology "useless shit that you will never need" and said that Linus' videos were "hahahaha videos (saying that I was always laughing when watching them (NOT TRUE)) and watching them is useless".

Sure, I wonder what will happen when the nontechies cannot get jobs because of their technological illiteracy while I can get a job in tech. Let's see where my understanding takes me...

She thinks tech is useless shit? She needs to go back to her cave until she learns...

Maybe you should get more into software side too, not just hardware. Focus on both (in varying amounts depending on interests) and don't abandon the other one. Even small coding skills in a language or two (like HTML and C++) could become useful.

But HTML is so easy. (for the most part)

It may be one of the most beginner friendly coding languages there is, but it's a bit difficult IMO. Though I'm just a beginner and last time I was learning it few months ago...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Did they ask what a mobo is or a motherboard? Because if it was a mobo, that's pretty justified - there's no reason someone who's not into tech should know what one of our abbreviations are. If they asked what a motherboard is, it's slightly more surprising but still there is no real reason for people not into tech to know about a specific component that isn't really spoken about and to them has no clear purpose (I know it's incredibly important, but most people can easily understand what a CPU, GPU or HDD are for whereas a motherboard is less obvious).

I understand what you mean, but they're not really that funny. The fun is this thread has died down FOR ME (maybe not for you) because all of them are things like "ermahgerd this is weird once i was dere and someone asked me what a pci slot was lawl lawl lawl" Issnotfunnyanymore and won't be FOR ME (maybe not for you).

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

I understand what you mean, but they're not really that funny. The fun is this thread has died down FOR ME (maybe not for you) because all of them are things like "ermahgerd this is weird once i was dere and someone asked me what a pci slot was lawl lawl lawl" Issnotfunnyanymore and won't be FOR ME (maybe not for you).

One time I asked a jock what ISA was and he didn't know! OMG, what a stupid idiot! I'm so much smarter than normal people. Sometimes it depresses me. I bet the girl in my class doesn't even know the difference between DIMM and SIMM! I doubt she'll graduate highschool.

1. Everyone, LITERALLY EVERYONE, in my school who uses a mac doesn't understand that when they plug in the display connector/adapter, the screen doesn't duplicate but rather extends to the projector. 

2. 90% of the people who use a mac in my school doesn't know how or where to plug in the display connector/adapter.

3. Nobody in my school has this adapter except me, because my Acer has a thunderbolt-shaped connector used for not thunderbolt, but for vga output and some proprietary docks/connectors.

4. People in my school convinced themselves that if it wasn't made by apple the connector/adapter won't work. I had to fight someone to plug the connector into their thunderbolt port so they could do their presentation. 

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

1. Everyone, LITERALLY EVERYONE, who uses a mac doesn't understand that when they plug in the display connector/adapter, the screen doesn't duplicate but rather extends to the projector. 

You have to change that from " Everyone, LITELRALLY EVERYONE"  to 'ALMOST(virtually, nearly etc) EVERYONE'.  As there is PROBABLY a mac user out there that does know .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

You have to change that from " Everyone, LITELRALLY EVERYONE"  to 'ALMOST(virtually, nearly etc) EVERYONE'.  As there is PROBABLY a mac user out there that does know .

Whoops, I meant in my school  :P

There, I added "in my school" wherever necessary to restrict the domain of the statements

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

She thinks tech is useless shit? She needs to go back to her cave until she learns...

Maybe you should get more into software side too, not just hardware. Focus on both (in varying amounts depending on interests) and don't abandon the other one. Even small coding skills in a language or two (like HTML and C++) could become useful.

It may be one of the most beginner friendly coding languages there is, but it's a bit difficult IMO. Though I'm just a beginner and last time I was learning it few months ago...

She thinks that if I laugh at a video then the video has no educational value of any sort, however Linus does combine humor and education into one.

I started HTML and I am okay at it, and maybe will start C or one of it's variants too, but I always love hardware. <- sounds wrong

She thinks that if I laugh at a video then the video has no educational value of any sort, however Linus does combine humor and education into one.

Laughter kills braincells. These are facts.

happyfactsphere.png

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

[snip]

Funny that just earlier today I played Portal 2's single player all over again...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

happyfactsphere.png

Where'd you get that?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Thats a funny site, but it makes good points.

If you have been raped, please call 555-555-5555 

vs

If you have been raped, please call 555-555-5555

the top one is superior.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Where'd you get that?

Umm, Portal 2.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

the top one is superior.

Eh‽ Surely the top one makes it seem a lighthearted almost childish thing.  And it is not so clear, probably have more difficulty reading that on a poster across the street than you would the second example.

"This too shall pass"

Eh‽ Surely the top one makes it seem a lighthearted almost childish thing.  And it is not so clear, probably have more difficulty reading that on a poster across the street than you would the second example.

I actually read the first one easier, i'ts like, more defined; 2nd font has many different shapes.

Don't get mad, get even...

I actually read the first one easier,

Different strokes and all that. 

i'ts like, more defined

Maybe it is just a font size thing but squinting I can make the top one dissappear before the bottom one.

2nd font has many different shapes.

To me there should be lots of different shapes .

Take the As and Es  very different in the second example

ae

pretty much the same in the first.

ae

"This too shall pass"

Many of the things he states as well as some hardware choices:

I have to say that I generally think that Will Urbina is pretty damn awesome and has done some really cool things with computers, but some of the things he say in this annoy me. 

Many of the things he states as well as some hardware choices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkM_tlunb0w

I have to say that I generally think that Will Urbina is pretty damn awesome and has done some really cool things with computers, but some of the things he say in this annoy me. 

I didn't feel like watching a 90 minute video, but the I read the parts list.

Why two different brand/size HDDs? Why not use SSD or RAMDisk for a scratch disk? Rosewill, really? Who is KingWin?

I didn't feel like watching a 90 minute video, but the I read the parts list.

Why two different brand/size HDDs? Why not use SSD or RAMDisk for a scratch disk? Rosewill, really? Who is KingWin?

Also  his choice of case and general cable management too annoy me. He also really messed up a ton of his terminology and  other things as well. 

Also  his choice of case and general cable management too annoy me. He also really messed up a ton of his terminology and  other things as well. 

I honestly don't think the cables affect performance unless you let a connector go into your CPU fan. Not like I've ever done that.  <_<

Also, he, literally, picked the most expensive AMD CPU. Selecting the second most expensive would have afforded him an SSD scratch disk.