Experiences with non-techies

Aside from some aesthetic choices (that case looks too much like a "LOOK AT ME case) I only heard two things that I drew issue with.

1) Saying intake fans didn't need a filter is plain wrong

2) That thing with the power supply has me in two minds. MOST people who have built two~three systems don't really have (IMHO) a VALID opinion as regards what type of PSU to use, whereas someone who has built LOTS fo systems has.  I first heard someone (who had built a lot of systems) say you should use a quality recognisable brand PSU, and I listened to it and agreed with the points.  Listening to Will (who has also built lots of systems) has me in a quandry as he states you should just use the cheapest there is Now I am not sure what to do, but methinks that unless there is a HUGE saving I will continue to go with the well known better quality supplies.

His cable management strikes me as OK (certainly better than Slick's :P ) for a working rig, mind you as long as the cables are not impeding airflow and not dangling in fans it is OK by me. ;)

Also the vast majority on here seem to be gamers so maybe they look on this rig with a gamers viewpoint. Remember this is an editing rig (which makes his choice of a windowed case even stranger to me).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I honestly don't think the cables affect performance unless you let a connector go into your CPU fan. Not like I've ever done that. <_<

Also, he, literally, picked the most expensive AMD CPU. Selecting the second most expensive would have afforded him an SSD scratch disk.

On a slightly different note, one of our school's computers in the music department (current gen Pentium, 2GB ram, and 19" 1440x900 monitor) has one of its molex connectors stuck in the CPU fan. You can hear it making this noise. Its being doing that for half a year and I've said what the problem is and that given a screwdriver to open the case I could fix it, but it's still making that noise and the universal solution is to not use that computer in case it blows up or the sound is caused by a virus or whatever else non techies come up with. I just leant the tower forwards so it stopped making the noise.

Why two different brand/size HDDs?

He explained that the scratch disk only needed to be a fraction of the size of his media drive.

Why not use SSD or RAMDisk for a scratch disk?

This was a rig for his intern it was built down to a price to get anything like that size with SSD would have cost a fortune.

Who is KingWin

He didn't know either, his philosphy on PSUs seemed to be the cheaper the better as IN HIS EXPERIENCE they seldom went wrong and if they did they didn't hose your entire system it was just a case of replacing it. Electricity was included in the rent so any increase in efficiency didn't lead to cost savings.

"This too shall pass"

On a slightly different note, one of our school's computers in the music department (current gen Pentium, 2GB ram, and 19" 1440x900 monitor) has one of its molex connectors stuck in the CPU fan. You can hear it making this noise. Its being doing that for half a year and I've said what the problem is and that given a screwdriver to open the case I could fix it, but it's still making that noise and the universal solution is to not use that computer in case it blows up or the sound is caused by a virus or whatever else non techies come up with. I just leant the tower forwards so it stopped making the noise.

Does the side panel on that machine not use thumb screws?

Does the side panel on that machine not use thumb screws?

A lot of older cases don't have thumb screws and schools don't like thumb screws because anybody (like me) could open the case.

Different strokes and all that. 

Maybe it is just a font size thing but squinting I can make the top one dissappear before the bottom one.

To me there should be lots of different shapes .

Take the As and Es  very different in the second example

pretty much the same in the first.

When it comes down to fonts i pretty much prefer those that are basic shaped ( since i started studying japanese ) also, each person has a different point of view ( what makes me think everyone's eyes "see" in a different way) for example, one the easiest fonts to read even in small sizes for me is "engravers", all of my friends hate it though.

Don't get mad, get even...

A lot of older cases don't have thumb screws and schools don't like thumb screws because anybody (like me) could open the case.

Also, the majority of OEM computers won't have thumbscrews due to the fact that they don't expect people to open up the computer for any reason or at least not frequently enough for not having thumb screws to be a problem. I know that Dell has latches that make their computers easy to open on their enterprise and high end desktops, where replacing/upgrading occurs more often with those types of machines. 

stupid move, very stupid, thought i ordered a both of parts last friday, i didnt, extreme facepalm

furthermore thought they would come today, these imaginary parts, on a bank holiday

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Also, the majority of OEM computers won't have thumbscrews due to the fact that they don't expect people to open up the computer for any reason or at least not frequently enough for not having thumb screws to be a problem. I know that Dell has latches that make their computers easy to open on their enterprise and high end desktops, where replacing/upgrading occurs more often with those types of machines. 

What about their consumer grade computers?

Can we please stop talking about fonts?

Thank you

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Can we please stop talking about fonts?

Thank you

Is there a back story to this?  Enquiring minds want to know.

"This too shall pass"

What about their consumer grade computers?

The Optiplex GX2xx series actually had a case that would open like the hood to a car, you pushed in two buttons and raised the case.

The Optiplex GX2xx series actually had a case that would open like the hood to a car, you pushed in two buttons and raised the case.

Those, some of the Dimensions (8400's?), and the 170L does. I have my 170L right now (I'm using it).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

He explained that the scratch disk only needed to be a fraction of the size of his media drive.

That doesn't explain using different brands.

This was a rig for his intern it was built down to a price to get anything like that size with SSD would have cost a fortune.

You can get a 120GB SSD made by a reputable brand from a reputable seller for under 100 USD. As I said, he could have gained that amount by not being stupid about CPU choice.

People that would literally wait a month for their External Hard Drive or USB to safely eject from their PC even though the device clearly has no data being read or written from it.........

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

Is there a back story to this?  Enquiring minds want to know.

What?

Oh and this too: 

Oh god no.....

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

I have this old Holocaust teacher, great guy, retiring this year.

My school system has a really poorly programmed portal grading system that has huge performance issues when the middle and elementary schools open due to the increased load, and just about evry single day in class the guy says "our computers wouldn't be so slow if the school just bought Macs".

Makes me cringe in the back of the room.

Also this isn't necessarily techy but I'm really good at math and enjoy higher level math problems, and I also hate it when I hear from mostly English teachers "nobody likes math", or "nobody really understands Calculus".

I'm pretty sure everyone has done this before: When submitting an assignment at school, you accidentally put the shortcut on the USB flash drive, not the actual document file. 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I'm pretty sure everyone has done this before: When submitting an assignment at school, you accidentally put the shortcut on the USB flash drive, not the actual document file. 

This has not happened to me or anyone i know though... 

This has not happened to me or anyone i know though...

haven't ever done that or known everyone that's done that either I think lol

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

I was exaggerating when I said "everyone".

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I have this old Holocaust teacher, great guy, retiring this year.

My school system has a really poorly programmed portal grading system that has huge performance issues when the middle and elementary schools open due to the increased load, and just about evry single day in class the guy says "our computers wouldn't be so slow if the school just bought Macs".

Makes me cringe in the back of the room.

Also this isn't necessarily techy but I'm really good at math and enjoy higher level math problems, and I also hate it when I hear from mostly English teachers "nobody likes math", or "nobody really understands Calculus".

Tell him, "you really shouldn't discredit a whole group of things just because you don't like them".