Experiences with non-techies

You have to change that from " Everyone, LITELRALLY EVERYONE" to 'ALMOST(virtually, nearly etc) EVERYONE'. As there is PROBABLY a mac user out there that does know .

I have a Mac and I know that does that count? Lol also I dont use it anymore though..

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

That doesn't explain using different brands.

Maybe one brand was most cost effective at one size another at the other.  Hence one brand at 2TB and another at 1TB.

You can get a 120GB SSD made by a reputable brand from a reputable seller for under 100 USD. As I said, he could have gained that amount by not being stupid about CPU choice.

He had an SSD of 120GB (Sandisk) his scratch disk was of 2X 1TB.  A2TB SSD would be a fortune

Three storage 'solutions'

1) An SSD of 120 GB ------------- (OS and ADOBE)

2) 2X2TB HDDs in RAID 0 --------- (Media files)

3) 2X1TB HDDs in RAID 0 -------- (Scratch disk

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

What?

What is yor reasoning/thoughts behind asking for no more font posts

"This too shall pass"

Maybe one brand was most cost effective at one size another at the other.  Hence one brand at 2TB and another at 1TB.

He had an SSD of 120GB (Sandisk) his scratch disk was of 2X 1TB.  A2TB SSD would be a fortune

Three storage 'solutions'

1) An SSD of 120 GB ------------- (OS and ADOBE)

2) 2X2TB HDDs in RAID 0 --------- (Media files)

3) 2X1TB HDDs in RAID 0 -------- (Scratch disk

Why is his media disk the same size as his scratch disk? It looks like he just has more space for media but just calls it a "scratch disk" to sound relevant.

Edit: The scratch disk is smaller, but he makes no effort to buy fast or high durability drives. And his storage should be RAID 1 or 5/6.

Why is his media disk the same size as his scratch disk?

It's not ! 2X2 is not the same as 2X1.

It looks like he just has more space for media but just calls it a "scratch disk" to sound relevant.

Adobe calls it a scratch disk as well (seemingly an editing term), it needs to ne nominated..  He explains why media and scratch files are on different disks.

Once again, it is an EDITING rig NOT a gaming one.

I didn't feel like watching a 90 minute video,

Maybe you should watch it.  He explains his reasoning behind using each item .  Maybe you should listen to and understand his reasoning before commenting that he made the wrong choices.

I have no problem with someone having a different opinion to someone else PROVIDED they know why the other person holds that opinion.

"This too shall pass"

It's not ! 2X2 is not the same as 2X1.

Adobe calls it a scratch disk as well (seemingly an editing term), it needs to ne nominated..  He explains why media and scratch files are on different disks.

Once again, it is an EDITING rig NOT a gaming one.

Maybe you should watch it.  He explains his reasoning behind using each item .  Maybe you should listen to and understand his reasoning before commenting that he made the wrong choices.

I have no problem with someone having a different opinion to someone else PROVIDED they know why the other person holds that opinion.

You made your post well after my edit saying they aren't the same size.

A scratch disk is a place where the program puts raw data that is being used for resources. The faster the better. Throwing in two more 7200RPM drives is something a casual editor would do, not something you'd see on a build made for an editor.

If I felt this was a gaming rig I would not have considered any more than a single 120GB SSD and a single platter drive. And I certainly would not have increased the RAM or toned down the CPU to make room in the budget for better storage.

I'm not gonna watch his feature length movie on why he chose parts for a computer. If he wrote up an essay, I'd read it, but there is no reason why a video about such a computer would be 90 minutes.

post-38314-0-84516900-1401184447_thumb.p

Mods plz remove this post.

"This too shall pass"

I'm not gonna watch his feature length movie on why he chose parts for a computer. If he wrote up an essay, I'd read it, but there is no reason why a video about such a computer would be 90 minutes.

He explains why he doesn't use RAID 1 and doesn't really like 5 but as you are unwilling to watch his video you wont know that

It is that length because  he goes to great lengths to explain his reasoning(his final choices may well be different to others but at least he has thought about it)  The actual build is 5~10 minutes.

No point in talking to the willfully ignorant.

"This too shall pass"

Not sure if this counts...

A relatively well to do friend bought a PC from Origin with LGA 2011 and 3 TITANs in SLI together with custom water cooling which is the most expensive configuration available

Total costs including shipping and goods and sevices tax costs more than 10000 dollars.

I asked him why does he need such a powerful RIG. He said that he don't care as long as it is much more powerful than Alienware or ROG prebuilts. I facepalmed as he only games on it and does nothing productive at all to justify the costs!

I'm pretty sure everyone has done this before: When submitting an assignment at school, you accidentally put the shortcut on the USB flash drive, not the actual document file. 

At our school, where we basically do everything electronically, that doesn't work with most teachers. People try tho LOL.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

He explains why he doesn't use RAID 1 and doesn't really like 5 but as you are unwilling to watch his video you wont know that

It is that length because  he goes to great lengths to explain his reasoning(his final choices may well be different to others but at least he has thought about it)  The actual build is 5~10 minutes.

No point in talking to the willfully ignorant.

I'd be happy to read a script of the video or read a written article or essay he has written on the matter.

In my computer class we learned how to use Word and Excel in addition to HTML, the teacher let me play with his Socket 7 rig in the back of the room while the class struggled to use Word.

my teacher let me and a couple of friends mess around with an original apple macintosh, lets just say it was very cool, easily the best ICT class ever

This thread should be renamed 'the I am better at ICT then everyone else in my class thread.'

Please stop, no one cares.

Exactly.

On topic (ERMAGHERD SOMEONE ON TOPIC) I was in the Terminal on my netbook and the kid next to me thought I was hacking his iPhone, since there was a lowercase i by itself for what I was doing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This thread should be renamed 'the I am better at ICT then everyone else in my class thread.'

Please stop, no one cares.

Yeah, noobs these days.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Isn't that the same mentality as "My Razer Mamba makes me headshot more noobs"?

It's just general ignorance - he doesn't know what's inside a computer and a little bit of marketing with some 'ok' components gives a placebo effect.

Also, he sounds a combination of high and tired.

It's just general ignorance - he doesn't know what's inside a computer and a little bit of marketing with some 'ok' components gives a placebo effect.

Also, he sounds a combination of high and tired.

Sounds more like a lack of voice projection. Even with a mic, lack of projection can result in a mumbling like effect and a reduction in range that makes it hard to decipher words.

I asked a girl to predict how many members a tech forum (LTT) would have, she said 10. We have 75,000.

Nobody in my school knows what a forum is. Someone thought LTT was a blog.

I asked a girl to predict how many members a tech forum (LTT) would have, she said 10. We have 75,000.

It used to be.

Forum? Isn't that that little booklet magazine with stories sent in by readers?

Forum? Isn't that that little booklet magazine with stories sent in by readers?

No, its that place where the caesar salad dude was killed.

Him: Nice five phone.

Me: *facepalm*

Him: I said it is a nice Galaxy 5.

Me: *Thinking why people assume. It's an HTC One(M7)*

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.