Experiences with non-techies

One of my somewhat tech competent friends is going to kill his cpu today. He plans on overclocking it to 4.7 or something like that on a stock cooler. (It's probably a 3rd gen i5 cpu which he has at 4.2 overclock but read somewhere that someone managed to get it up to 4.7 on stock cooling)

One of my somewhat tech competent friends is going to kill his cpu today. He plans on overclocking it to 4.7 or something like that on a stock cooler. (It's probably a 3rd gen i5 cpu which he has at 4.2 overclock but read somewhere that someone managed to get it up to 4.7 on stock cooling)

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me that CPU before it is killed! Or you could just rescue it and keep it.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

My uncle once has an issue that his phone'scharge was dieing to fast. We tested it, and it turned out he didn't realise that the charge icon animated when cahrging and wasn't showing how much charge was left.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

That program is fake. You can't simply "download more RAM".

It's refereed to as Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)

Case: Thermaltake Core V71 CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X (overclocked to 4.1Ghz) Cooling: Corsair H110i GT(Push-Pull config) Motherboard: Gigabyte's Aorus AX370 AM4 K7 RAM: G.SKILL 2800Mhz 32GB GPU:  GEFORCE GTX 1080 (SLI) from Gigabyte Storage: Kingston 3K 240GB (main boot drive) Crucial M500 SSD, WD 2TB Green, 100GB HD(As backup) PSU: Sseasonic X Series 850W Gold

You're a bit late on that... Everybody here knows that it is fake and that it was mentioned as a joke...

Downloading it doesn't do anything. A loading bar just comes up and then the 'download completes.' No files are transferred to your system, it isn't anything sinister.

This kid in my film class was very adamant about anything over single core processors are unnecessary. He kept trying to tell me that games can only use one core, and that my 8320 was pointless *facepalm*

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

This kid in my film class was very adamant about anything over single core processors are unnecessary. He kept trying to tell me that games can only use one core, and that my 8320 was pointless *facepalm*

Well either outdated knowledge, or (what I think) someone not understanding threads and processes...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

It's a joke, silly.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

One time I saw someone take downloadmoreram.com seriously and felt the need to point out that it might be malware, even though it's not even software, it's a site with a graphic.

My parents are terrible with even the basic tasks. My mum could send an email with one attachment just fine but two at a time, it was too much to handle. Also, when she exits out of an app on her phone she always presses the back button instead of just pressing home. Although she is bad, my dad is much worse. Since his computer is riddled unwanted software (he never unchecked the box in the installers) his computer won't even boot into windows so he just uses safety mode with networking turnes on... But thats not all, every time, and this is no joke, he has to copy and paste something he always needs my help.

Can any one top this?

:D

My PC:

CPU: Intel i7 5820k @4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe | RAM: 32GB Kingston fury DDR4 | GPU: Asus Strix 980 | Case: Corsair 700d | Storage: 256gb Samsung 950 pro ssd - 2x 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - 120gb Samsung 840 SSD - 60gb Kingston SSD - 30gb Kingston SSD - 1tb WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair 700d | OS: WIndows 10 |

A really old man (worst example EVER), was comming to our pc store because he bought a pc that didn't work. he plugged it in, and nothing worked. ... he didn't push the power button... that said, he came back. the screen is still black. same freaking reason. he did not turn the darn thing on, we had to draw out the symbol of a on/off switch, i walked to the back and laughed reeeaaally hard i allmost cried, 3 times in a row (first for the not working pc, second for the not working monitor and third for the actual drawing) xD this has really happened :P but the guy was old (75?) and probably has never used an electrical device in his whole life (country side). that was the least tech savvy person i have ever encountered.

Sure most old people are bad with tech but i know a 70 year old guy who still builds his PC's. Didn't expect that :D

My PC:

CPU: Intel i7 5820k @4.4Ghz | Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe | RAM: 32GB Kingston fury DDR4 | GPU: Asus Strix 980 | Case: Corsair 700d | Storage: 256gb Samsung 950 pro ssd - 2x 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSDs - 120gb Samsung 840 SSD - 60gb Kingston SSD - 30gb Kingston SSD - 1tb WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair 700d | OS: WIndows 10 |

The best one I've experienced is when people call any form of internet "wifi"

That annoys me so much, especially since wifi is just a certain frequency of light... I don't think an ethernet cable transfers light...

My PC:

My parents are terrible with even the basic tasks. My mum could send an email with one attachment just fine but two at a time, it was too much to handle. Also, when she exits out of an app on her phone she always presses the back button instead of just pressing home. Although she is bad, my dad is much worse. Since his computer is riddled unwanted software (he never unchecked the box in the installers) his computer won't even boot into windows so he just uses safety mode with networking turnes on... But thats not all, every time, and this is no joke, he has to copy and paste something he always needs my help.

Can any one top this?

:D

"Home" is a global command to return to the "desktop". "Back" tell the program to go back a menu until it exits. One leaves the application running in the background unless the application is specifically programmed to terminate when it loses focus, the other commands the application to back out and has a higher chance of resulting in the application ceasing to run.

That annoys me so much, especially since wifi is just a certain frequency of light... I don't think an ethernet cable transfers light...

Dude, I would love to have a home network that ran on Optical.

so my brother stole the hdmi cable that my mother uses to connect her pc to the monitor, the cable came with the monitor so we use that, anyways he took it and she panicked as the display isnt working, take in mind all of this happened within a few hours in which i was not at home, she then throws the pc away, buys a new one(which has not been cancelled thankfully). I then had to explain for a while about displays and that under every circumstance ask me before you do anything rash.

Well i then recovered the pc from the bin and used a vga cable, just another day.

rant

Oh and i nearly forgot, a few months ago i made my aunty a pc,two weeks ago it broke and she didnt tell me about it, well it didnt break, she set up a password by accident. So she sends it to pcworld, they somehow pushed her into spending £200, they gave her new ram(because the tracer ballistics were "broken", i tested them and they worked. they then changed her power supply from the 400w xfx psu to some non 80+ brand called powercool or something like that. Lastly and what is the biggest mindfuck, they deleted malwarebytes pro because it was a "virus" and installed mcafee, fuck. So she called me because naturally the performance of her system got shit on big time and it would randomly shut down when she was making music or something of that nature. She calls me thank god because i charge less(none for family unless they abuse me) and she starts ranting about all the shit they have done to the system, luckily i have a few dell psus lying around (300w 80+ gold, cant go wrong) install that, reinstall the faster ram, which made a difference because pcworld doesnt understand that apus use ram speed a lot and that fucking 1600mhz is faster then 1333mhz,  jesus how can they be so stupid. To top that off she told me that the pcworld rep said that she shouldnt trust me because the system is more likely to break if i make it.

/rant

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

when she was making music or something of that nature.

Dude, TMI.

Dude, TMI.

no she literally makes music, bollywood bullshit, i dont understand it but she seems to be fine, i understand the amount of shit which ends up in my posts by accident, please calm your imagination

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

. So she sends it to pcworld, they somehow pushed her into spending £200, 

I had a bad experience with PC world a few days ago. I was pretty sure my motherboard was broken so I sent it in there, telling them that was what I thought. I went and looked around the shop and 2 minutes later they said it was definitely the motherboard and charged me £25 - fair enough. I then RMAed the motherboard and had the exact same issue, I managed to borrow a PSU from a friend and that fixed the issue perfectly. One strongly worded email was sent that day, mark my words!

I hate when someone calls me "hacker" or "programmer" only because I'm not bad in PCs in general.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I hate when someone calls me "hacker" or "programmer" only because I'm not bad in PCs in general.

I hate when they(FPS guys) are calling cheaters a hackers. :/

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

I hate when they(FPS guys) are calling cheaters a hackers. :/

Also when being better than a certain loud player automatically makes you a cheater with an aim-bot or something along the lines of that. That really pisses me off.

"Home" is a global command to return to the "desktop". "Back" tell the program to go back a menu until it exits. One leaves the application running in the background unless the application is specifically programmed to terminate when it loses focus, the other commands the application to back out and has a higher chance of resulting in the application ceasing to run.

Dude, I would love to have a home network that ran on Optical.

What I meant was she always presses the back button multiple times when she wants to get home and then she goes back into the app and navigates back to where she was, its just a waste of time.

Also I meant that WiFi is used to transmit the signal but it is not the internet because the internet is the internet! It's like you wouldn't call the internet Ethernet because Ethernet is just a means to get access to the internet.

My PC:

Are they stupid?  They are working at PC World to make PC World money, this they did by getting your aunt to spend £200.  Reads like you facillitated them by sorting their mess.

To be honest I wouldn't expect someone who spends their day selling warranties on washing machimes and fridges to be very computer savvy.

Oh and i nearly forgot, a few months ago i made my aunty a pc,two weeks ago it broke and she didnt tell me about it, well it didnt break, she set up a password by accident. So she sends it to pcworld, they somehow pushed her into spending £200, they gave her new ram(because the tracer ballistics were "broken", i tested them and they worked. they then changed her power supply from the 400w xfx psu to some non 80+ brand called powercool or something like that. Lastly and what is the biggest mindfuck, they deleted malwarebytes pro because it was a "virus" and installed mcafee, fuck. So she called me because naturally the performance of her system got shit on big time and it would randomly shut down when she was making music or something of that nature. She calls me thank god because i charge less(none for family unless they abuse me) and she starts ranting about all the shit they have done to the system, luckily i have a few dell psus lying around (300w 80+ gold, cant go wrong) install that, reinstall the faster ram, which made a difference because pcworld doesnt understand that apus use ram speed a lot and that fucking 1600mhz is faster then 1333mhz,  jesus how can they be so stupid. To top that off she told me that the pcworld rep said that she shouldnt trust me because the system is more likely to break if i make it.

EDIT:- Wow!  What the .... happened to the formating?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

a triple pin power cable feel out of a monitor once, half the class call me a hacker when i plug it back in.

Listen if you care.