Experiences with non-techies

11 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

My friends that think my pc is hella slow bc it takes ~2 minutes to boot.

(not to flex, but for reference) I've got a 16 core hyperthreaded CPU and a Quadro m5000, and I boot from an SSD. And I only have like 4 programs that run on startup (Bing Wallpaper, Discord, and drivers for my sound and USB cards). For some reason it just takes a very long time to boot into Windows because the POST takes a while.

I find my system to take awhile to boot, longer than I'd expect from a SSD (even NVMe). I don't have too many programs at startup and booting takes awhile. BIOS takes like ~30 for some reason, even after disabling startup programs. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

On 4/26/2021 at 10:52 AM, Hetzer21 said:

And that my friends is why I quit working on friends computers. I was blamed for a friend formatting his OS drive, it was my fault for not telling him not to. 

I wrote that post 8 years ago and since then I have started working on friends computers again. I work in IT (MSP) so I am better at setting expectations than I used to be. And I get free food/drinks!

58 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I bet that PS4 is completely filled with dust, has never been re-pasted, and is thermal throttling to 500 MHz while playing Cyberpunk 2077.

Probably. It runs like a Pentium III with a Riva TNT2. And also his 'wifi thing' isn't even that close to the PS4.

33 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

On the complete opposite of the spectrum:

"My computer's been running slow, can you help me with it?"

*hands me a computer with an uptime of eight months*

Worst I've seen was 1 year uptime. Also I remember a guy from way back in Primary and High School who literally left his PC running all the time.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Don't know if anybody else saw this, but I remember some people at my old school used to print several copies of a blank word document as a means of obtaining blank pieces of paper - seemingly they couldn't figure out how to open the tray of the printer to just take out blank unprinted sheets.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Don't know if anybody else saw this, but I remember some people at my old school used to print several copies of a blank word document as a means of obtaining blank pieces of paper - seemingly they couldn't figure out how to open the tray of the printer to just take out blank unprinted sheets.

I've seen places where the paper tray is actually locked. I don't remember if this was at my old university or elsewhere, but this can be a genuine problem if you're trying to score some sheets of printer paper.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

21 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

I'm sure they just wanted warmed up Sheets of Paper. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

My parents were having trouble getting Facebook Watch streamed on the TV from their phones after it stopped streaming. I asked, "What do you mean it's not working," and they said, "You're the tech genius, you should know and figure it out!". All I did was reconnect the stream to the TV from the phone and it started working again. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

One of my Coworkers once asked me what a Password Managers was and only two Sentences in they already got mad at me for me apparently making the Topic too difficult to understand and yet again using English words which are by the way Universally used in the German language. That's like telling the Teacher to shut up who's trying to explain something to you which you have to learn. No wonder they lost a Password from an Online Store we as a Company buy our goods from, and then had to call their Supervisor to get the Password again. That individual in particular is one of the dumbest and most Ignorant people we have on Staff, lmao.

"What are you doing?"

"Burning a CD"

"Don't do that"

"Why not?"

"The fire will get out of your computer and burn the house down"

This happened last night.

I've also learned not to use the term 'ripping' around my mom either, because she thinks it'll break the CD. I have no idea how she was alive in the 90s and 2000s and doesn't know these things.

On 5/1/2021 at 12:29 PM, pythonmegapixel said:

I have seen that too and it is pure pain.

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

I have seen that too and it is pure pain.

Just keep holding that Enter key on your Word document before you print it out!!!

1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

"What are you doing?"

"Burning a CD"

"Don't do that"

"Why not?"

"The fire will get out of your computer and burn the house down"

This happened last night.

I've also learned not to use the term 'ripping' around my mom either, because she thinks it'll break the CD. I have no idea how she was alive in the 90s and 2000s and doesn't know these things.

The only time my mom's ever been confused by something is when I got really technical (explaining why my P3 system wasn't booting), but other than that she can understand most things I explain to her easily.

I've never been able to stump my dad. Ever.

elephants

1945281110_ScreenShot2021-05-03at10_44_27AM.png.e97c72a179aa94966b3d20724560333b.png

This happened in a Google Hangout... bruh. My friend was complaining about how the Gmail emojis suck. (They do.)

Also btw with the insults, it's a joke we have because troglodyte is a funny word. He's OK with it, and he later roasted me with something in French that I wish I didn't put in Translator.

1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

959208393_ScreenShot2021-05-03at10_52_38AM.png.fcf4887841d443a84a14993e4f6aea11.png

From the same friend. Trying to explain that his Switch is superior to my PC because he can play Legend of Zelda.

Tell him that you can play BoTW on your PC if you emulate it (Cemu for Wii U version).

Once I get home I'll screenshot it for you if you like.

elephants

Just now, Schnoz said:

Not just that, Yuzu (Nintendo Switch emulator) has made significant advancements recently, and most of the Switch version of BoTW is fully playable if you have a really beefy PC.

I knew there was a Switch emulator, but I couldn't remember what it's called (and my school filters out things like that for some reason).

I know Mayro uses it to test her 3D World + Bowser's Fury mods (-1x speed was really funny), and if I feel like living dangerously maybe I'll nab a 3D World + Bowser's Fury ROM.

Or more likely, I'll buy the retail version.

Not sure.

elephants

Just now, Schnoz said:

Some people at my school: "How do you even manage to carry your phone with such a thick case?!"

Those people's phones:

image.png.7b4d87f0c847cad7340be0489a89f5db.png

I don't have a phone, so my equivalent is my New 3DS XL.

Two people were talking behind me in IED (Intro to Engineering Design).

"Look at this kid. He has a DS."
"We should take it and run."
*I turn around*
"You realize that one of your phones is worth 5-10x this 3DS XL, right?"

elephants