Experiences with non-techies

My grandmother who bought a MacBook because her friends said it was easier to use. (To be fair her old Windows Vista Dell laptop was in a very sorry state. Literally anything would be easier to use than that, some of the keys didn't work, the battery life was less than 15 minutes, the fan was always at 100%, covered in dust, dying HDD, etc.) But she kept calling me and asking where [insert Windows program here] was. I tried to explain that it was a different operating system and it didn't have the same software, here's an alternative you can use, but she would always pause for a few seconds and then say, "But all computers nowadays are the same!"

7 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Apple: "We are now introducing [feature] to iOS! This will revolutionize how you use your iPhone and fundamentally change the user experience!"

Android users and jailbroken iPhone owners who had that same feature for at least two years: 

-snip-

Yep. Actually my favourite phone I have ever used was an HTC Droid Incredible (2010). The UI was fantastic, Android 3.1 I believe. It had a fake call feature so that you could set your phone to ring at a certain time, "to get out of a boring meeting or bad date" as it said (or something along those lines). The widgets were absolutely fantastic too. It died of a broken charging port last year.

F

4 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

But all computers nowadays are the same!"

If you look at the number of available cpu architectures and operating systems used nowadays , she isn’t that wrong 

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, Drama Lama said:

Of you look at the number of available cpu architectures and operating systems used nowadays , she isn’t that wrong 

Technically, but pretty sure she was talking about how all OSes are supposedly the same... (Actually not wrong either, but in her case, you can't run Paint on a Mac without a bit of work.)

2 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Technically, but pretty sure she was talking about how all OSes are supposedly the same... (Actually not wrong either, but in her case, you can't run Paint on a Mac without a bit of work.)

Just get her parallels and let her run Windows ontop of her Mac and send her to the genius bar for everything else. Actually just send her there for everything. It's their problem now!

Just now, Bitter said:

Actually just send her there for everything. It's their problem now!

See if it actually deserves the name Genius Bar 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Just now, Bitter said:

Just get her parallels and let her run Windows ontop of her Mac and send her to the genius bar for everything else. Actually just send her there for everything. It's their problem now!

From what I know of the Genius Bar (and most tech support/repair places in general)... She'd have to sell at least 3 kidneys to pay for updating MacOS.

"What time do they [the postman] come to collect the emails to send?" - Innocent Grandma

Rooms in my school have 4 speakers in the ceiling and a wireless mic that the teacher holds.

*Teacher sets down mic in front of desk fan*

*makes distorted wind sound*

OH NO THE SPEAKERS HAVE A VIRUS!!!!

Someone in my advisory at school was saying his microwave had Bluetooth speakers in it. I debunked his claim by saying 1. That's pointless to have wireless speakers in a microwave since the radiation from the microwave would block the signal, and 2. Just why? Companies would lose money doing that bc no one would buy a speaker microwave.

His watertight arguement was "But that's why it beeps, all microwaves have it"...

When I was building my first rig, my father came in and asked what part I was putting in, which happened to be the power supply. I told him it was the power supply and, with seemingly genuine confusion, he said, and I quote, "Why do you need a power supply if there's a battery on the motherboard?" 

19 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

When I was building my first rig, my father came in and asked what part I was putting in, which happened to be the power supply. I told him it was the power supply and, with seemingly genuine confusion, he said, and I quote, "Why do you need a power supply if there's a battery on the motherboard?" 

Hey, props to knowing something, right?

Its funny when my family asks for a password for our streaming services. They always look at me weird over the passwords. Because I use a password manager to generate them. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Told some of my classmates today that I'm on this Forum (of course didn't mention the name) because they asked about my Social Medias. And one guy responded with "So that's the Darknet ?!?" after explaining in simple terms what a Computer Forum was. I asked him if he knows Reddit and responded with "Course I do" and I was like yeah our Forum is like a Community Computer Subreddit where us big LMG fans are on. And then further more another one asked me if I could "hack" into the Credit Suisse (a Swiss Bank) on his Notebook so that he would go to Prison for commiting those crimes and not me so that we would have a "50 50 deal". I just cringed and said that's not how that works.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Another good one from Tuesday: One Classmate getting logged out from OneNote and blaming me for apparently "hacking" him. And a Notebook from another Classmate during Class automatically installed Windows Updates and then asked me why it did what it did and in the end blaming both me and the Notebook for being "useless". 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Kid in my class DDoS'ed his friend, (from personal computer at home to the other kids personal laptop) facing suspension/expulsion. Kid who got DDoS'ed had no idea what it was, told everyone the FBI hacked him. lol

I brought my personal laptop to Design class today to use Unity, because I'm tired of making games in Scratch with drag-and-drop programming. I had to get special permission to do so and was only allowed to use it in that class, since our school provides laptops that suck on purpose so you can't do anything "bad" on them. But I get there, I open up the Unity editor, and someone screams,

He brought a special hacking computer to class!!!!!

5 hours ago, RGBoy said:

Kid in my class DDoS'ed his friend, (from personal computer at home to the other kids personal laptop) facing suspension/expulsion. Kid who got DDoS'ed had no idea what it was, told everyone the FBI hacked him. lol

The only reason people get suspended at my school is for screaming p*nis during class (that happened today). Your school sounds a lot more interesting

54 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

The only reason people get suspended at my school is for screaming p*nis during class (that happened today). Your school sounds a lot more interesting

I learned today that a friend of a friend got:

- Arrested in 4th grade for trying to stab someone

- Expelled in 5th grade for biting someone

elephants

41 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I learned today that a friend of a friend got:

- Arrested in 4th grade for trying to stab someone

- Expelled in 5th grade for biting someone

I don't think I'll be going to Not Chicago anytime soon

2 minutes ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

Sorry, but lmfao. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

I won't either, seeing as it doesn't exist 🙃

Also, another Experience with a Non-Techie today:

I'm walking down to AP Human Geo and I'm playing Bravely Default. Someone asks "Hey, what is that?" <referring to my 3DS>

I respond "It's a 3DS."
They go "It looks like someone put two phones together. What does it do?"
I respond with "It's a handheld game console. You can play games such as Bravely Second <gestures to screen>"
Them: "Can it use apps?"

Me: "What kind?"
Them: "The app kind."
Me: <walks away because I will be late to class>

elephants