Experiences with non-techies

21 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

My parents (who are actually very good with tech but I still help them sometimes. Saves me a lot of time though and they know what I am talking about when I talk computers) think iphones are better and have made me get an iphone every time I got a new phone almost as if android is something they needed to protect me from. Luckily I convinced them to let me get an android next time I upgrade so Pixel XL here I come :D 

To be fair, for some people iOS is better, and for others Android is better. While I personally prefer android, I can see why some people might prefer iOS. Lots of people like to call it "trash" and "limited," but for some people it's what works for them. Especially since a ton of android phones have crap tons of crap on top of android bogging it down.

Lucky duck, getting a Pixel XL :D. I'll probably get the Pixel 2 or Pixel XL 2 though. I prefer android over iOS but like that you actually get your software updates on time with Pixels *cough* got marshmallow in May on OP2 *cough*.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, AA-RonRosen said:

My parents (who are actually very good with tech but I still help them sometimes. Saves me a lot of time though and they know what I am talking about when I talk computers) think iphones are better and have made me get an iphone every time I got a new phone almost as if android is something they needed to protect me from. Luckily I convinced them to let me get an android next time I upgrade so Pixel XL here I come :D 

There was also a guy I saw at walmart trying out the PS4 they had on display. However, he had no clue how to use the controller and tried to use the TV as a touchscreen. I go up to him and point to the controller and tell him that's how you use it. He had the most confused look on his face and continued trying to use the tv as a touchscreen. I use the controller and he looked at me like I was a wizard. 

Then there was the one kid who tried to plug his mouse into the HDMI port. I told him that it goes in a usb port and showed him where. This was a computer science student by the way. He should really know better.

iv shoved USB plugs into the DP out from my laptop sevral times...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

To be fair, for some people iOS is better, and for others Android is better. While I personally prefer android, I can see why some people might prefer iOS. Lots of people like to call it "trash" and "limited," but for some people it's what works for them. Especially since a ton of android phones have crap tons of crap on top of android bogging it down.

Lucky duck, getting a Pixel XL :D. I'll probably get the Pixel 2 or Pixel XL 2 though. I prefer android over iOS but like that you actually get your software updates on time with Pixels *cough* got marshmallow in May on OP2 *cough*.

OnePlus really messed up the OP2 OS after the last update, no fast swap for wifi and they added another phone and text app for some reason... makes my life hell because i need to open the network menu every time i go downstairs because my network is split in two so i can keep tafic on the upstairs one low

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

OnePlus really messed up the OP2 OS after the last update, no fast swap for wifi and they added another phone and text app for some reason... makes my life hell because i need to open the network menu every time i go downstairs because my network is split in two so i can keep tafic on the upstairs one low

Honestly I've had good experiences with oxygenOS 3.5... Though it does suck that I can't just tell my phone to stop using the out of range wifi. I do remember last year though when for a few months my phone would randomly freeze up when I started using it after not using it for a few hours. Definitely not getting another phone from them until they step up their game.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Honestly I've had good experiences with oxygenOS 3.5... Though it does suck that I can't just tell my phone to stop using the out of range wifi. I do remember last year though when for a few months my phone would randomly freeze up when I started using it after not using it for a few hours. Definitely not getting another phone from them until they step up their game.

yah i was really happy with my OP2 and then this update dropped and now not so much. its still great and works just fine, but there are lots of problems now. also OTG is just not a thing aparently unless you buy the adapter specifically made for the OP2 by OnePlus. got a type C to type A adapter only to find that out -_-

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Organized said:

Maybe you guys should go for a custom ROM? I'm perfectly happy with my OP3 + custom ROM (forgot which one). OTG works fine with an adaptor from Anker.

It isn't easy to fix a bricked phone if you mess up tho. You need access to the stock rom as well as JTAG equipment unless you have a samsung, then you just need the stock rom but that's still hard af to get

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

15 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

It isn't easy to fix a bricked phone if you mess up tho. You need access to the stock rom as well as JTAG equipment unless you have a samsung, then you just need the stock rom but that's still hard af to get

Well, I soft-bricked my OP3, filesystems were corrupted and it didn't even boot into the TWRP recovery anymore. Still I just had to flash the stock ROM via adb sideload. You can download the stock ROMs here: http://downloads.oneplus.net/

The most important thing is, at least for the OP3, to backup your IMEI information in case this partition gets corrupted. Then you wouldn't be able to use your modems ever again. There are good tutorials for almost every popular device on xda-developers, you should give it a try if you feel confident :) If you really don't know what you are doing, then you probably shouldn't do it.

1 hour ago, Organized said:

Maybe you guys should go for a custom ROM? I'm perfectly happy with my OP3 + custom ROM (forgot which one). OTG works fine with an adaptor from Anker.

I've always been too lazy to do that but I'm thinking about something like Cyanogen... I'm new to the custom ROM thing, so just wondering, if I flash a custom ROM will it wipe all my data?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I've always been too lazy to do that but I'm thinking about something like Cyanogen... I'm new to the custom ROM thing, so just wondering, if I flash a custom ROM will it wipe all my data?

Well I'm not a big fan of Cyanogen because it's a bit bloated IMHO, but as it's really popular it shouldn't be that bad. It now has a different name though, but I forgot it.

I'm using a ROM called "Experience ROM", maybe that's available for the OP2 aswell. I highly recommend it :) And yes, you should do a full wipe before installing a custom ROM, otherwise it may not work. Sometimes it does, but it's not recommended.

2 minutes ago, Organized said:

Well, I soft-bricked my OP3, filesystems were corrupted and it didn't even boot into the TWRP recovery anymore. Still I just had to flash the stock ROM via adb sideload. You can download the stock ROMs here: http://downloads.oneplus.net/

The most important thing is, at least for the OP3, to backup your IMEI information in case this partition gets corrupted. Then you wouldn't be able to use your modems ever again. There are good tutorials for almost every popular device on xda-developers, you should give it a try if you feel confident :) If you really don't know what you are doing, then you probably shouldn't do it.

Shouldn't the IEMI info be on the phone somewhere? Also, isn't the IEMI in the hones boot loader as well?

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

It really depends on the rom. If you just use TWRP to flash the Zip file, you probably won't but no guarantees it will be able to load the new rom because sometimes, some data from the previous rom will mess with it although that doesn't happen often because it will likely only reference the files it needs. Make a backup first though. Especially your IEMI info if you don't want to loose cellular functionality.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

47 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

Shouldn't the IEMI info be on the phone somewhere? Also, isn't the IEMI in the hones boot loader as well?

Well yes, but in some cases the particular partition gets corrupted on the OP3, so the data on it will be lost. In that case, the modem doesn't know it's name and cannot connect anymore to a radio tower. Actually the OP3 is the first phone I heard about that problem.

On 23/02/2017 at 10:42 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

im going to take it with me wherever i move in the world to remind me what pushed me into computers lol

i'm going to do the same with my current rig (first build) because yeah. I don't have my first computer though, stupid younger me took it to be recycled.....

Desktop: Core i5-6400, 16gb DDR4, Asus H110M-K, GTX 970, 240gb Crucial BX200, 1TB 5200rpm Samsung Spinpoint, 1TB WD Green, 250gb WD Scorpio Blue, Corsair CS550M, Zalman Z1 Neo, TP Link TL-WDN4800.

Laptop: HP Stream 13: Intel Celeron N2840, 2GB DDR3, 32GB e-mmc, iGPU.

"Test Bench": Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, Dell Dimension 8400 Mobo and PSU, ATI X550, random hard drives

On 23/02/2017 at 10:43 AM, themctipers said:

I went from a 2500+ sempron to a p4 3.4ghz to a pd 3.4ghz to an i5 760 (rip 2010-2015) to an i7 3770k

I went from a PPC G4 733mhz to a 1.4ghz athlon to a c2d 6300 (which died) to a p4 3.4ghz to an i5 6400.

Desktop: Core i5-6400, 16gb DDR4, Asus H110M-K, GTX 970, 240gb Crucial BX200, 1TB 5200rpm Samsung Spinpoint, 1TB WD Green, 250gb WD Scorpio Blue, Corsair CS550M, Zalman Z1 Neo, TP Link TL-WDN4800.

Laptop: HP Stream 13: Intel Celeron N2840, 2GB DDR3, 32GB e-mmc, iGPU.

"Test Bench": Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, Dell Dimension 8400 Mobo and PSU, ATI X550, random hard drives

The greatest non techie is me. I fuced my my bios. My third time flashing in a month lol. I love ocing too much. So much that i fuck up bioses 

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

The greatest non techie is me. I fuced my my bios. My third time flashing in a month lol. I love ocing too much. So much that i fuck up bioses 

i do and have done a lot of overclocking and have never managed to break my BIOS... what are you even doing to the poor motherboard man? :o 

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

i do and have done a lot of overclocking and have never managed to break my BIOS... what are you even doing to the poor motherboard man? :o 

Well i have a i5-6500. So i was joping to go to the F2 bios to reflash the microcode.....well that f2 flash does not work :/

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

25 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

I've had someone on Apple discord try to hackintosh a z77 motherboard (problem was that he used rufus to put MekOSS Siri onto the USB) so the PC wouldn't boot onto the USB 

so he flashed a unofficial bios and that fucked up his CPU, GPU, ram, motherboard. :( 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

I've had someone on Apple discord try to hackintosh a z77 motherboard (problem was that he used rufus to put MekOSS Siri onto the USB) so the PC wouldn't boot onto the USB 

so he flashed a unofficial bios and that fucked up his CPU, GPU, ram, motherboard. :( 

shit....well my compter just booted

but i dont have my cmos battery

that goes under the gpu.

ill do it later

Build

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

shit....well my compter just booted

but i dont have my cmos battery

that goes under the gpu.

ill do it later

If you fucked up

theres always Apple discord to show you no, you haven't. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

If you fucked up

theres always Apple discord to show you no, you haven't. 

lol. I think ill be active there again lol

Build

Spoiler

this 

VR-NoGame.jpg

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

53 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

I have done that before. I wanted to oc my laptop so I modify the intel management engine in such a way that the clock source points to nothing so my computer tried to boot with no clock. Also, when I hook up my spi programmer to fix it, I find out that instead of flashing it, it wiped the descriptor region. The lesson I learned is that it's not worth it anyway because I won't be able to change it much. Maybe someday, I will try again though because I have the equipment to fix it 

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

3 hours ago, Organized said:

Well yes, but in some cases the particular partition gets corrupted on the OP3, so the data on it will be lost. In that case, the modem doesn't know it's name and cannot connect anymore to a radio tower. Actually the OP3 is the first phone I heard about that problem.

I don't think it should be stored on a partition. The bios (phone has one. It's just very basic because most of what the bios does on a pc to enable features are done through software. The rest is hardcoded in) would be a better place for that info because the storage itself can be affected by software while the bios on phones are read only so it can't be overwritten 

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):