Youtube 8k support?

dylanstevens112

Bulk orders make fiber surprisingly cheap. Along with increased manufacturing. It actually doesn't cost all that much to make the lines. So ISPs can't complain that they're spending boat loads of money when they're really not.

Was talking with a buy from Bell a month or so ago about just that, he claimed that including installing it on average it costs about $50 per foot, so while that is expensive it will be recouped in the next 5 years in cities and 20 in the country, but buy the time fiber becomes standard he thinks it will be under $20 a foot. Mind you this is Canada pricing so like 1.3x the US

YouTube, we dont want higher resolution, can we just get a better bitrate pls

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Most likely a bug, who would shoot at 8k and upload it to YouTube when we don't have 8K screens yet (for public).

Technology advances pretty fast but ISPs and all the work required to upgrade the infrastructure is moving at turtle speed...

Decent 4K screens are still pretty pricey and relatively new.

I only upgraded to 1080p last year.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Was talking with a buy from Bell a month or so ago about just that, he claimed that including installing it on average it costs about $50 per foot, so while that is expensive it will be recouped in the next 5 years in cities and 20 in the country, but buy the time fiber becomes standard he thinks it will be under $20 a foot. Mind you this is Canada pricing so like 1.3x the US

Yeah it most certainly does not cost $50 a foot. That's charge cost, not production cost.

Always trying to find reason.

So now tv manufacturers can upload their 8k demo videos to youtube, great!!. Beside the fact that no one has a 8k monitor/tv, does anyone know a youtuber that actually has an 8k camera..

Marques has I think. Though might be 6K. I forget.

I'm Out. I'll only post to update build/mod logs.

liar

8k, would make my router explode

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Yeah it most certainly does not cost $50 a foot. That's charge cost, not production cost.

He was talking about the cost to buy transport and install. Not to produce...

liar

8k, would make my router explode

PS: before you yell at me I'll post to things that interest me..

shush

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Not even google fiber could handle that, at the moment anyway I think.

It can 8k is only about 120 down I would think... yeah that is high but google fiber should be able to handle it, I have 55 down and loaded about a third of a video then hit play and it was smooth all the way through so it is not a super far stretch, but data caps are where this would be an issue if we had monitors to support it.

Marques has I think. Though might be 6K. I forget.

it is 6k not 8k, i don't know any consumer grade cameras that can shoot 8k!

He was talking about the cost to buy transport and install. Not to produce...

Ah, even then I can't justify $50.

Always trying to find reason.

it is 6k not 8k, i don't know any consumer grade cameras that can shoot 8k!

His camera is not exactly consumer grade :P

There's only one or two that are capable of it at all.

His camera is not exactly consumer grade :P

There's only one or two that are capable of it at all.

Good point, i was just trying to exclude imax grade cameras etc.

It's not as pointless to watch 4K on a 1080p screen as a lot of people think. The video codec used for 4K has much higher quality. Of course the video is scaled down to fit 1080p but you get rid of the annoying compression artifacts of YouTube's 1080p codec.

I'm sure the majority of internet users has at least 10 down.

Must be nice in that bubble.

Wish i could return, but that would require a lobotomy.

Still, even then, YT compression is awful. I find some 720p videos better than 4K, and ofc both shot with pretty good equipment. I know they do bitrate compression otherwise no one would be able to watch HD, but going above 4K will be useless until most of internet users can have gigabit internet connection.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

If I have the bandwidth for this I'll use it and downscale. YouTube's compression is pretty fucking noticeable, even at 4K.

omg thank you for this post, the experimental player fixes the stuttering @ high res problem ive been having with youtube for quite some time

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

It does require a lot if you have 5/0.5

I'm sure they do, but they don't use their internet alone at home.

And downscaling for the win by the way.

Are you sure? I can buffer a video easily at 2.2 Mb/s at 720P, doing more than double would mean 1440P.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Are you sure? I can buffer a video easily at 2.2 Mb/s at 720P, doing more than double would mean 1440P.

I was just 'eyeballing' it. I've always had good internet, so I don't know what would cause YouTube to buffer a lot :S

But as I said on another post on the first page, you may have parents who are on the WiFi or a brother, etc.

And by the way, 1440p may be double 720p, but it's 4 times the pixels :P

The width is doubled and the height is doubled. That makes 4 times the amount of pixels

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8K? 

Of course. Because I had access to the backbone fibre lines to download the video and I have 3 Xeons to actually play it back off a CPU and not cause the system to crash. 

Impossible. Useless. And probably a bug.

Many people can't watch 1080p right now (or don't have enough bandwidth for it). Not even talking 4K..

People should stop thinking that just because they or people in their region can't do something that nobody else is capable of it either.

YouTube recommends 8 Mbps for 1080p. 35-45 Mbps for 4K. Knowing 8K is 4 times 4K we can know that 8K would require between 140-180 Mbps. I personally have a 175 Mbps connection with no data cap, living in Atlantic Canada. So I would be able to stream 8K, if I had an 8K monitor.

But you have to remember that 8K monitors will come. Microsoft is already building Windows 10 with native 8K support. Apple is rumored to be making an 8K iMac. Display manufacturers already have working 8K displays. We have video cameras capable of recording 8K.

YouTube needs to do their part and develop the capability to stream it. Even if its not a reality for a few years they need to do the R&D today to be prepared.

Lets not forget that YouTube also serves a global audience, not just North America. There are countries in the world where blazing fast internet is ubiquitous and bandwidth isn't a problem like it is for many in the USA. Hell, look at Japan where they are testing 8K TV broadcast next year and plan to have full service 8K TV broadcasting by 2020.

8K is already past the "can it be done" phase. It is now in the "cost reduction" phase. Then after that it will come to the "mass adoption" phase, until it is ubiquitous.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

-snip-

I know there are people whose internet can handle it. My internet can handle 4K just fine.

But not all PC's can. I know technology goes very fast nowadays and my post was kind of overreacting :P

By the way, I am not from the US, but that market is kinda really big  and doesn't have the best internet at the moment.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/