Youtube 8k support?

dylanstevens112

I have recently followed MKBHD post about editing the cookies to try out the new experimental YT player, and it looks really nice!

post-65721-0-82550300-1428931678.png

I have been trying out watching it in 4k on my 1080p monitor, which i know is pointless but it was interesting! This morning though i loaded up a video and it appeared to be in 8k, now i'm sure this is the wrong thread but i thought i should post it anyway. Of course the video i was watching was actually a mere 4k video but i found it quite interesting that, even though it was a bug, there was the graphic in place for 8k. 

So i took a screenshot of the tool:

post-65721-0-27774500-1428931683.png

So i have no idea if they are implementing the feature anytime soon i was just quite surprised by the graphic placeholder being there!

If you want to check out the article about changing perimental player you can find it here:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/youtube-tests-new-video-player-for.html

Impossible. Useless. And probably a bug.

Many people can't watch 1080p right now (or don't have enough bandwidth for it). Not even talking 4K..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So now tv manufacturers can upload their 8k demo videos to youtube, great!!. Beside the fact that no one has a 8k monitor/tv, does anyone know a youtuber that actually has an 8k camera..

I highly suggest anyone to try it out looks amazing ,tutorial here  (PS: you need set your youtube language to English(US))

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8k? Are they mad? What percentage of internet users even have an 8k monitor?!?!

zero. zero is a percentage 

simpsons-zero-percent.jpg

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

RIP anyone who is unfortunate enough to have a bandwidth cap. 

Every topic I post in dies.

So now tv manufacturers can upload their 8k demo videos to youtube, great!!. Beside the fact that no one has a 8k monitor/tv, does anyone know a youtuber that actually has an 8k camera..

the best (in terms of res) film camera right now from RED is 6K and i dont think any youtuber apart from the likes of Pewds could even afford one. http://www.red.com/products/epic-dragon#tech-specs

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Probably they just made the graphic for it so in the future they don't need to, if they ever get to supporting 8k. After all, if this is their new player it's understandable they won't want to touch it for years to come except for bug fixes. I have nothing against yt supporting it to be honest, if someone actually has an 8k display for whatever reason and someone wants to upload at that resolution, let them. It's also possible that this will increase the (currently lackluster) bitrate of 4k videos.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

the best (in terms of res) film camera right now from RED is 6K and i dont think any youtuber apart from the likes of Pewds could even afford one. http://www.red.com/products/epic-dragon#tech-specs

only 50000$ damn...

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Or a tech YouTuber that begs for one

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Impossible. Useless. And probably a bug.

Many people can't watch 1080p right now (or don't have enough bandwidth for it). Not even talking 4K..

1080p doesn't require much bandwidth. I'm sure the majority of internet users has at least 10 down. Though I can't imagine why you would want to watch 8k on a 1080p screen. 4k yes, 1080p no.

zero. zero is a percentage 

Technically you are correct.

Always trying to find reason.

only 50000$ damn...

yeah, not really even in the same range as what most youtubers use, which is something akin to a EOS 5D Mk3...

Or a tech YouTuber that begs for one

Im pretty sure they would just get a no. these cameras are used by filmmakers, not youtubers. And even then, filmmakers these days tend to use 70mm IMAX film anyway, because its much better. One can easily extract detail up to a 16K resolution from it.

1080p doesn't require much bandwidth. 

It does require a lot if you have 5/0.5

I'm sure the majority of internet users has at least 10 down. Though I can't imagine why you would want to watch 8k on a 1080p screen. 4k yes, 1080p no.

I'm sure they do, but they don't use their internet alone at home.

And downscaling for the win by the way.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It does require a lot if you have 5/0.5

I'm sure they do, but they don't use their internet alone at home.

And downscaling for the win by the way.

Ah, that's a good point. I'm generally the only one using my internet so I can enjoy it. :) And down scaling is great and all but doesn't the image get grainy if it's too large for the screen?

It is not 8k it's 4k or 1080p or whatever, but not 8k check yourself, right click on video and "stats for nerds" there will not be 8k on any video :)

anyway i have 100 Mb/s connection so for me i think 10k is internet bottleneck :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Ah, that's a good point. I'm generally the only one using my internet so I can enjoy it. :) And down scaling is great and all but doesn't the image get grainy if it's too large for the screen?

Well you have to realise most people live in some sort of a family, be it with parents, spouses and or kids. and most people have TV provided by the ISP through the same connection as the internet. so realistically, you need more bandwith to stream 1080p :)

naah downscaling is cool. just not with youtube lately it seems... i dont know what algorithm they use, but images get very aliased with it when downscaling, atleast the last time i tried it

I have recently followed MKBHD post about editing the cookies to try out the new experimental YT player, and it looks really nice!

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

I have been trying out watching it in 4k on my 1080p monitor, which i know is pointless but it was interesting! This morning though i loaded up a video and it appeared to be in 8k, now i'm sure this is the wrong thread but i thought i should post it anyway. Of course the video i was watching was actually a mere 4k video but i found it quite interesting that, even though it was a bug, there was the graphic in place for 8k. 

So i took a screenshot of the tool:

attachicon.gifCapture2.PNG

So i have no idea if they are implementing the feature anytime soon i was just quite surprised by the graphic placeholder being there!

If you want to check out the article about changing perimental player you can find it here:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/youtube-tests-new-video-player-for.html

It is a bug, if you go into the quality settings it will not even have 8k, and 4k. (unless its a 4k video). every video I watch says 8k even if its 720p

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Well you have to realise most people live in some sort of a family, be it with parents, spouses and or kids. and most people have TV provided by the ISP through the same connection as the internet. so realistically, you need more bandwith to stream 1080p :)

naah downscaling is cool. just not with youtube lately it seems... i dont know what algorithm they use, but images get very aliased with it when downscaling, atleast the last time i tried it

Yet another reason we need internet providers to step up their game, roll out fiber every, and give the consumer what they want.  Because it is all entirely possible.

And it does seem with YouTube specifically that the image quality has a certain sharpness too it like an oversharpened picture does when you view much higher resolution content than your monitor can view.

Pretty sure MKBHD has one and uses it to his advantage. I am also going to bet he will get this new one as he seems pretty excited about it and is always leading with camera tech. 

At a certain point it's too much. It also depends on the size of your TV/monitor.

And yeah, as @LukaP said, people live in families with people using internet as well.

Yet another reason we need internet providers to step up their game, roll out fiber every, and give the consumer what they want.  Because it is all entirely possible.

And it does seem with YouTube specifically that the image quality has a certain sharpness too it like an oversharpened picture does when you view much higher resolution content than your monitor can view.

And have internet cost more? No thx :P

But yeah, I would appreciate optic fiber. 4K YouTube on a 1080p monitor (specifically LTT's videos) does look a bit too sharp. Like a game at native res with no AA.

Pretty sure MKBHD has one and uses it to his advantage. I am also going to bet he will get this new one as he seems pretty excited about it and is always leading with camera tech. 

Marcus lives off of tech like that so yes, of course he could get it. it would be an investment. But for a VAST majority of youtubers (im talking everyone except like one or two) this is just a gimmick

At a certain point it's too much. It also depends on the size of your TV/monitor.

And yeah, as @LukaP said, people live in families with people using internet as well.

And have internet cost more? No thx :P

But yeah, I would appreciate optic fiber. 4K YouTube on a 1080p monitor (specifically LTT's videos) does look a bit too sharp. Like a game at native res with no AA.

Bulk orders make fiber surprisingly cheap. Along with increased manufacturing. It actually doesn't cost all that much to make the lines. So ISPs can't complain that they're spending boat loads of money when they're really not.

Marcus lives off of tech like that so yes, of course he could get it. it would be an investment. But for a VAST majority of youtubers (im talking everyone except like one or two) this is just a gimmick

Well yeah, but remember what it costs YouTube to add it is next to nothing for them, so while it is a gimic to most, I can see some companies choosing to publish to YouTube over say Vimeo because of the 8k support. Many companies try to future proof stuff, I will also bet Devin Super Tramp will get it and a few more. Maybe 20 or so, that is still low but as I said low cost.