After Anti-Donation Executive Order, Bitcoin Donations For Snowden Jump

Syntaxvgm

ZDNet reports that after a recent executive order from President Obama "said to have made it illegal to donate to Edward Snowden's fund," anonymous donations to the fund have soared -- at least ones as anonymous as Bitcoin makes possible. From the article:

A new executive order signed into law this week by the president has one online community up in arms, after its loose wording effectively ruled out donating to Edward Snowden and others. In a post on Reddit's Bitcoin subreddit, members pledged to donate to the whistleblower's relief fund, despite the wording of the new executive order suggesting that doing so was illegal. In the new executive order, signed into law on Wednesday, US President Barack Obama declared cyber-threats aimed at the US a "national emergency." The order threatens sanctions against those (including US residents) who engage in cyberattacks and espionage activities that threaten US interests at home and abroad. The wording of the order specifically addresses any person whose "property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order who might have a constitutional presence in the United States." Redditors were quick to assume (likely correctly) that this includes Edward Snowden, who for more than a year-and-a-half has lived in Russia, evading US justice.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/04/05/0458256/after-anti-donation-executive-order-bitcoin-donations-for-snowden-jump

After an unprecedented executive order from the president banning donations to a man who is not only not convicted of any crime, but was threatened with execution for exposing the government's crimes. A key detail people forget, Eric Holder only promised not to seek the death penalty should Snowden return to the US because he knew at that point that Snowden could not be extradited back to America from Russia, and the gesture was either a pure PR move or a desperate attempt to get the Russians to extradite him. 

It is now illegal to donate to that man that exposed that the government was spying on Americans to the extent that, until that time, only tin foil hatters believed was possible.  

Since that executive order, anonymous bitcoin donations to Snowden have skyrocketed. 

I have noticed some comments on slashdot and reddit vowing to donate directly in name via cash, calling the administrations bluff to prosecute someone for that, as that would cause a public outrage and stir up this NSA issue again for the general public (who's goldfish memory has left this issue at a standstill.)

This law is a loosely worded anti "Cyber criminal"law that carries a penalty. Yes, the president, on his own,  made a law that carries a penalty. 

Thanks, Obama

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

USA, land of the free, land of the people, land of the incredible st-murder sounds-

this message has been captivated and censored by your US goverment agency for your own safety, have a nice day.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Regardless of what you believe is the truth about the whole snowden affair, the fact it even exists and is panning out the way it is is a very sad indictment on the so called "freedom" that the united states touts as being so important it will invade other countries to secure.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

things like this always bring me back to the southpark episode where the NSA has santa.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Regardless of what you believe is the truth about the whole snowden affair, the fact it even exists and is panning out the way it is is a very sad indictment on the so called "freedom" that the united states touts as being so important it will invade other countries to secure.

http://i.imgur.com/R5ZYceV.png

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I normally report posts that contain only a picture, but this one was amusing in a genuinely satirical way.  I laughed.

EDIT:  I also did not report it. :)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This disgusts me. Obama disgusts me. But then again what should one expect from a "president" who is more than willing to kill hundreds of children and innocents to get what he wants?

America needs to get its shite together. Snowden is not a traitor and he doesn't deserve to be hunted down like a terrorist/criminal.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

This disgusts me. Obama disgusts me. But then again what should one expect from a "president" who is more than willing to kill hundreds of children and innocents to get what he wants?

America needs to get its shite together. Snowden is not a traitor and he doesn't deserve to be hunted down like a terrorist/criminal.

Obama isn't the problem. Him and our government in it's entirety is a product of the people.

who said he wants it? he just signs the papers without reading just like you sign the ToS and EULA on everything.

anyway. i'm a USA military child, but i'd like to see us go back to an "i'll just handle myself" attitude. similar to pre WW1.

we really need to work on our economy. and by that i mean our debt.

Meh, BitCoin is crap and should not be used.

^ THAT'S MY POST ^

< THAT'S MY AVATAR THAT'S YOUR SCROLLBAR >

HOW'RE YOU DOIN'?

Obama isn't the problem. Him and our government in it's entirety is a product of the people.

Obama is the problem. And so are the idiots who voted him in, especially for a second time.

who said he wants it? he just signs the papers without reading just like you sign the ToS and EULA on everything.

anyway. i'm a USA military child, but i'd like to see us go back to an "i'll just handle myself" attitude. similar to pre WW1.

we really need to work on our economy. and by that i mean our debt.

He would stop it or say something about it if he didn't agree with this course of action. And ahaha, I don't know whether to say you burned me or Obama, or both... :lol:

I would like that too. We are sticking our nose into everyone's business and putting all our resources into it that by the end of it we haven't done anything for our own failing country.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

USA, land of the free, land of the people, land of the incredible st-murder sounds-

this message has been captivated and censored by your US goverment agency for your own safety, have a nice day.

Could not have said it better myself.

I find myself wondering how many retards will think of this president as the best president ever, without actually knowing anything that he's done.

At this point, I consider "our government" to be an occupying force with no real legitimacy as a democracy. They have neither my support, nor my approval.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yeah, it's amazing what you can do when you don't put billions into military technology and buying weapons, especially when you're already on top in quality and quantity.

America has a bigger military budget than the next 10 countries on the list, COMBINED. Maybe if you stopped shoving your nose into everyone else' business, you wouldn't need that and could put it to something useful, like schooling (cos you seriously need that) and other social (oh shiiiit, I said it) services.  I mean, you could have a bigger budget than the top 3 put together and still be #1, which seems so important to you (tho because you are only #1 in military power, it makes you the bully in school you can't criticize, because he will beat you up). Based on last years number (Wikipedia, so grain of salt) that would've left 300 billion for other shit, but I guess you couldn't use that in other areas.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, you're also #1 in obesity, good work, keep it up... tho you most likely don't have the energy to do that.

Ahahaha, what the hell. Someone has a major crush on the USA. :lol:

Could not have said it better myself.

I find myself wondering how many retards will think of this president as the best president ever, without actually knowing anything that he's done.

At this point, I consider "our government" to be an occupying force with no real legitimacy as a democracy. They have neither my support, nor my approval.

as an outsider i have to say, your presidents all kinda act the same, nearly looks like they get appointed and the only power they have is signing laws and stopping stupidity, if im not mistaken the congress rules nearly everything and if they don't you still got the FBI or CIA and NSA and who knows what kind of organizations there are with influence in the country.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Obama isn't the problem. Him and our government in it's entirety is a product of the rich people.

Giving how your lobbying system works, I think I made your statement more accurate.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I Still dont know which side to pick, but what snowden did was supposed to happen & not supposed to happen at the same damn time, It exposed a raw power that had pottential good side but terrible flipside, in a way, it exposed the system before it can turn into something uncontrolable into a system that's being debated & held under vigilant eyes..

Details separate people.

The uneducated enable the rich.

At one point, yes. But nowadays the rich have privatized a lot of the education anyways so it's not that simple to blame the poor so to speak.

-------

Current Rig

-------

At one point, yes. But nowadays the rich have privatized a lot of the education anyways so it's not that simple to blame the poor so to speak.

I didn't point at the poor lol. The uneducated come in all financial statuses.

Education isn't unobtainable if you look hard enough, the internet has a plethora of knowledge that you can obtain if you have a interest. Knowledge of the same if not higher quality then a formal education from school. Plus a bit a more since it's got the potential for mass discussions on various topics with other people.

EDIT: made a error in my post. FIXED*

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I didn't point at the poor lol. The uneducated come in all financial statuses.

Education isn't unobtainable if you look hard enough, the internet has a plethora of knowledge that you can obtain if you have a interest. Knowledge of the same if not higher quality then a formal education from school. Plus a bit a more since it's got the potential for mass discussions on various topics with other people.

EDIT: made a error in my post. FIXED*

No you're right you didn't, I did. And it was for a reason: there's several levels working on here. First is basic education which is increasingly difficult given the state of public access schools. Then there's economical factors: struggling families just can't support their kids for extended/superior education and people are just looking into entering the job market a lot easier.

Then there's even more widespread and subtle aspects like how a capitalist society mostly values education that can transform into "marketable skills" which leads to more and more business and engineering graduates (the ones who do manage to get to higher education) while other key aspects like philosophy, pedagogy, history, political and human studies and even art are relegated to undesirable status. To make sure we encourage people to educate themselves we need to encourage people to do more than work spreadsheets, sale products and such, but nobody is encouraged to become a teacher, a social worker, an english scholar, a history major, etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

as an outsider i have to say, your presidents all kinda act the same, nearly looks like they get appointed and the only power they have is signing laws and stopping stupidity, if im not mistaken the congress rules nearly everything and if they don't you still got the FBI or CIA and NSA and who knows what kind of organizations there are with influence in the country.

The real issue is that people who run the government have far too much privacy. We cannot really ensure their integrity without being able to see if they are taking bribes, and who from.

No you're right you didn't, I did. And it was for a reason: there's several levels working on here. First is basic education which is increasingly difficult given the state of public access schools. Then there's economical factors: struggling families just can't support their kids for extended/superior education and people are just looking into entering the job market a lot easier.

Then there's even more widespread and subtle aspects like how a capitalist society mostly values education that can transform into "marketable skills" which leads to more and more business and engineering graduates (the ones who do manage to get to higher education) while other key aspects like philosophy, pedagogy, history, political and human studies and even art are relegated to undesirable status. To make sure we encourage people to educate themselves we need to encourage people to do more than work spreadsheets, sale products and such, but nobody is encouraged to become a teacher, a social worker, an english scholar, a history major, etc.

I'd really like to know how any of those things are key aspects of society.

Important yes, but not as vital as infrastructure and technology.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Then there's even more widespread and subtle aspects like how a capitalist society mostly values education that can transform into "marketable skills" which leads to more and more business and engineering graduates (the ones who do manage to get to higher education) while other key aspects like philosophy, pedagogy, history, political and human studies and even art are relegated to undesirable status. To make sure we encourage people to educate themselves we need to encourage people to do more than work spreadsheets, sale products and such, but nobody is encouraged to become a teacher, a social worker, an english scholar, a history major, etc.

The main problem with basic education in state and public access school from my observation is the bare minimum the students reach for due to the "Standardized" tests that the state uses for educational success. Like in a capitalistic economy where competition is required for the economy's good health, I believe schools also need to promote competition in all aspects of schooling for better future growth, instead of holding back those who can excel for the sake of those who choose to do bare minimum. 

I can understand where your coming from about the struggling families not having the ability to support their kids for superior education, however the thought that higher education(College, University, etc.) is required for success in the future is somewhat flawed. The knowledge being fed to students in school are technical and only helps them in technical aspects in life like one of the majors you mentioned engineering(which is amazing IMO)... the social, domestic political and geopolitical aspects of society are not taught as heavily or given much thought. This I believe stems from the problem of differentiating views in these topics that make people argue about what should be taught and why. 

Short summary to the paragraph above would be "The mentality that you have to go through higher education to be successful these days is not accurate, you can be successful without going into higher education. It just depends on what you do, how you do it and why you want to do it, oh and also the lack of social knowledge you obtain through higher education is a cause of failure in some aspects of society."

Now observing what is wrong with the our society usually more likely then not leads to the lack of knowledge or will to make decisions from the people for themselves, the people cause the problems they have and that is because the people are the ones who make up society. By "education" I don't mean just technical knowledge I mean all aspects of knowledge.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I'd really like to know how any of those things are key aspects of society.

Important yes, but not as vital as infrastructure and technology.

You have no diversity of opinions for once. More over, humans need more than just infrastructure and technology, you're basically reducing things to "Food and shelter" maybe some security. As higher beings we have higher needs, to fill fulfilled, accomplished and acknowledged in your life for example. If you look at people like numbers, you run the risk of valuing everything about an individual in terms of money and how much of it he posses, yet we should value more than that. I provided this argument before it's called the theory of alienation.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You have no diversity of opinions for once. More over, humans need more than just infrastructure and technology, you're basically reducing things to "Food and shelter" maybe some security. As higher beings we have higher needs, to fill fulfilled, accomplished and acknowledged in your life for example. If you look at people like numbers, you run the risk of valuing everything about an individual in terms of money and how much of it he posses, yet we should value more than that. I provided this argument before it's called the theory of alienation.

Ho Ho the theory of alienation is quite a intriguing term. Thanks for sharing.