My thoughts about vessel

I'm very upset with this vessel move. i understand that it will help them earn more money from ad rev they dont get from people using adblock. but this really inconvenient many people, that dont just view this content on a computer or ios device.  i have an amazon fire tv and before i go to bed every night, i watch youtube. well now being that this does not have an andorid (or amazon app) for it, i can't watch these videos unless i watch them on my desktop, or wait 3 days.

Ill probably be watching more and more of jayztwocents than linus. not to be mr downer or negative here, but this move, imo does not benifit the consumer in ANY way. and for those to say, "well they will get more money there for be able to produce better videos" no, just no. their video quality is already top notch. they are one of the MAIN computer hardware reviewers on the web. i just dont like this move at all.

judging by jays video he posted a day or so ago about him doing youtube full time. he did not come out and say this but he pretty much hinted at it, that he was probably offered to move to vessel for $ and he turned it down knowing the negitives with it (i listed above) 

to me, this move just was a quick money cash in. being that this vessel is a new service that came out of no where (to the public) the company went poaching for high level youtube content creators and said, "hey, here's some $$, if you  come and release your content on our service" but its exclusive to our platform for 3 days. But don't worry, the first year (if you sign up in time) will be free for users"  that's pretty shady imo. after that said year is up, what is going to happen. everyone will move to vessel and youtube will be left for those that want content after it was already covered on by other news and content creators.

oh, and my favorite thing about this is that, linus decides to "announce" this move, right before leaving for 3 weeks. so he announces this, but is away for the bulk of the shit storm that me and a many others feel about this move, and by the time he gets back, some people have already moved on and he would not have to deal with much of the back lash.  find that to be a pretty shady move. 

im sorry if there's already a "my thoughts" thread, but i just felt like posting this and want to know if anyone else feels the same. 

i feel the exact same i really don't think vessel was a consumer orientated view at all. in a way its borderline selfish...

MY COMPUTER-

Motherboard: ASRock B85-M Pro 4, Graphics card: MSI Radeon R9 280 Gaming 3GB, CPU: Intel i5 4590 Stock Cooler, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance, Case: My Beloved Phanteks Enthoo Pro :wub: PSU: Cougar PowerX 700W Storage: 1x Segate 1TB 1x WD Blue 250GB 1x WD Blue 350GB, Wireless Adapter: TP Link WN881ND, Monitor: BenQ VZ2350.                      To Learn how to troll, Click here

Finaly someone that actualy gets it! (the whole mowing over to vessel sucks A5S) :angry:

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Yeah, same..

But you have to realize they did not need more money to make better videos, but rather to pay everyone and everything properly.

Having such a big YouTube channel (for them) is not very profitable, compared to perhaps Pewdiepie or something (just an example) who just plays games and does most of the stuff on his own.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I dont see a problem, you can still watch the videos on youtube, but if you want to watch them early then you pay a bit for it.

I really dont get what the shitstorm is about.

Vessel will go on google play once they realise what they are missing out on but atm it is still a "beta" video platform.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Wow. Everything is the same. Nothing changed. If you don't wanna pay for vessel after the free year, just don't watch it on vessel. Everything is and will be the same. I went on vessel, watched the 4 new videos, and now its the same thing, just on vessel. So they upload a new video on youtube and on vessel, just that on vessel the video is different. If you never watch a single video on vessel, and you will keep on watching youtube, nothing will change. Right now, the content on vessel is exacly like on youtube. New video every day. Samething. 3 more new videos. Wow, just wait a day and you can get it for free on youtube...

You're inconvenienced? How? Because literally nothing changed for you. Nothing. Also you seem to forget Linus has over half a dozen employees that have to put food on the table along with his own family. You all are finding really interesting ways to complain about the most petty things.

Does it inconvenience you? No.

So why do you complain about it?

it was probably to good to pass up, he does have other people to pay too. we can all see the growth in the channel and with what youtube is doing it doesn't make a very stable place to do business.  i'm still on the fence about it. 

So how does this change anything? They still post videos on youtube. Dont want to sign up for Vessel, no problem. NOTHING CHANGES!

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

All the people hating on the Vessel move are just bitching because they don't want to pay for content.

If you can't pay for it, then who the fuck cares? you get a video 3 days later and you miss out on EXACTLY 0 percent of the content that's available on Vessel. It's not a selfish move to try turn more of a profit in an industry that isn't crazy profitable and in Youtubes case has a very uncertain future.

Basically, stop being a bitch

I dont see a problem, you can still watch the videos on youtube, but if you want to watch them early then you pay a bit for it.

Vessel will go on google play once they realise what they are missing out on but atm it is still a "beta" video platform.

i agree, but linus should atleast wait until the platform is available on more devices

"nothing changes" um no. this changes a lot. right now, its a 3 day wall, then everyone else gets to view it.  then there's "only on vessel" videos, then down the road, it will turn into a week wall until others get it. then if more and more top tier youtubers go to this service, who knows. after a few years. youtube will be that video site JUST for random home movies and cat videos.  

idk, i just dont like the way this is going.  reminds me of the days when cable started. people only had over the air. but there were a fuck ton of ads. then cable came along, pay for this service, and you can get all of your over the air shows + more with very little to no ads.  jump 20+ years later. we pay for content that is filled with 35% of it being ads.  its happening all over again. 

one main this that's annoying is that 3 + minutes of all of his videos are ads, as well as a 1 minute post about why you should change your amazon links, buy a shirt, do this, do that. it feels like that 4 extra minutes could have gone to more in depth views or content from said video. instead, its a video of just basic info that are sent with review kits. what happen to the days of  90% of the video being about the product with their opinions and comparisons rather than "this is product A, this is the same info that's on product a's box, does it live up to its name? yes (or no)  insert ads "  where is the in depth look into the product. the look, the feel, was it built good, how does it compare to that similar competitor product ?. i want to hear a nit picky review, not a basic run down of the product that i could have just easily read myself on the products own webpage. 

and i love reading the damage control  going on "oh its free for a year" that's not a good excuse" you have to look at it at a stand point in the long run.  and yes, if i dont like it, i dont have to sign up. true, but then for those people that did sign up. a year down the road, will people that start paying monthy for this, still have to sit and watch 4 + minutes of random sponcer ads and a min+ of you should change your amazon links and buy this shirt and sign up for super awesome forum club after each video?  I i can get an extra 3+ minutes of content without  ads. ill be more than happy to pay 3 bucks a month. but if its going to be the same 50 % content 50% ads. no thanks 

and saying that making youtube videos is not "very profitable" i can bs. There are more and more people doing youtube and or twitch as a full time job, that have families. and make a really good living off of it. 

I sort of agree, but what bothers me isn't the move the Vessel (if I can wait a year for a mouse, I can wait 3 days for a video), but as to why does LTT need SIX people working on videos? I cannot comprehend how did Linus work before and handle all the things by himself and Luke, and now needs 4 more people for editing and PR.

Nevermind, I took a look at the average views for videos from 2 years ago and now, and there's been more than a ten fold increase, so I guess the extra hands for production quality do justify his increases costs. Back on topic though, I don't dislike the move to another platform, but I dislike the way in which the platform they've tied up with works.

1. There's no android app; I watch YouTube videos on the way to and back from university and the lack of a dedicated app and the need to open up a web browser is nerve wrecking annoying. Had there been a dedicated app, I could see myself using the platform more.
  2. Not enough content- I watch a variety of YouTubers ranging from TotalBiscuit, to FPSRussia, to AusinEvans, etc. In the YouTube app, they are all there under the subscriptions tab, but the need to switch between apps to view a single content creator is frustrating if being done on a regular basis. I know this seems minor, but in India, mobile data speeds are pretty bad, the time to load the app and start it, along with searching for LTT and selecting the correct instead of featured videos takes around 47 seconds more than had I just selected the LTT video in my YT subscription. I guess there's no easy turnaround to this though since it would require convincing the biggest to the smalles content creators to switch, so I've got to live with that.
  3. I use an older laptop (Inspirion 1545) and Vessel is quite taxing on it. I agree the interface is beautiful, but it's not functional. The desktop page looks like something for a kids tablet; I would love to see a "lite" version for phones and laptops, the current version for desktops, and something like YouTube for other people like myself.
  4. Lack of quality settings- this is pretty self explanatory. Sometimes, I watch videos on 240p and lower, and the lack of options to change that makes videos unviewable since it's constantly buffering.

It seems to me that had LTT let Vessel evolve itself over a month and become a good alternative to YT, more people would've accepted this change, but as of now, it looks as though LTT has moved to a broken platform that is in my opinion subpar to YouTube. I will continue to take peeks at Vessel, but cannot use it as my daily driver.

I did want to ask though- if YouTube implements its kickback thing soon, can you implement a feature where those paid subscribers on YouTube get to view the content first as well? That would be nifty.

@Valkyrie743- I agree with you. If I do wind up paying 3$ a month for Vessel after the first year, I'll be pretty annoyed if Linus still makes 3 minute ads on all this and still has teasers for upcoming videos since Vessel shouldn't need all of that. Also, Linus has gone down the route of short content, arguable because of that YouTube conference which stated that the average audience member has an attention span of 10 minutes or so. I would like a more indepth coverage as well, and the lack of which over the past while and the failure to focus on nitty gritties is why I, a viewer of 4 years, has become a bit disappointed.

PC in Profile

You're inconvenienced? How? Because literally nothing changed for you. Nothing. Also you seem to forget Linus has over half a dozen employees that have to put food on the table along with his own family. You all are finding really interesting ways to complain about the most petty things.

Does it inconvenience you? No.

So why do you complain about it?

this

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

-snip-

If Linus can make more money from the move to vessel, then it's likely that he won't need to push his ads and sponsors so much.

If you want a more in depth view of products, then there's a hundred other Youtube channels which will do this.

I support Linus' move to vessel. If it means more money for him and his company and his employees, but doesn't affect you at all, what's the problem?

If it leads to less ads on his channel, even better!

Regardless of whether he moved to vessel or not, you're still going to get the same number of ads.

If he hadn't moved, there'd be an even greater need for the ads!

You weren't complaining about the number of ads pre-vessel, so why complain now?

There's been absolutely no change.

If you don't like the amount of ad integration, then don't watch the videos.

You want a more in depth review, find another Youtuber.

Hopefully I haven't misunderstood your point.

Feel free to correct me

I don't hold the transition against LMG as I am a big fan of their content, and so long as they continue putting out great content I will support them, whether it's on Vessel or YouTube. That said, personally, I dislike the Vessel's UI and I think there's still a lot of work to be done until the user experience for the viewer is on par with YouTube. But I think Vessel is a really good thing, primarily for the competition it will provide for YouTube; perhaps it will even prompt Google to sweeten the pot for creators to get them off of Vessel. :)

totally love vessel

except one thing that sometimes video just stop playing for no reason

Tell that to all the smart TV powered devices...Oh and it's not a beta they said that the free year thing is a *launch* gift

Spoiler

PRE-BUILT DESKTOP | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz | RAM: 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHz (2GBX2) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 w/ 2GB VRAM | HDDs: 3.5" Samsung HD501LJ ATA 500GB 7200rpm & 3.5" Samsung 502IJ ATA 500GB 7200rpm | PSU: MODECOM Feel III-500Watt ATX | Displays: Samsung SyncMaster T22B350 (1920x1080) & LG Flatron W2234S (1680x1050) | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit & Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS | Peripherals: Logitech M90 gray mice & Acme KM10 keyboard | Sound: HDMI 2.0

DELL INSPIRON 15 7000 SERIES (7537) LAPTOP | CPU: Intel i7-4510U @ 2GHz | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (4GBX2) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M w/ 2GB VRAM | SSHD: 2.5" 1TB + 8GB Flash | Display: 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS w/ Multi-Touch | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | Peripherals: Logitech M100 white mice | Sound:  Logitech Z130 2.0

OTHER DEVICES | Phone: Samsung Galaxy Alpha 32GB

I don't hold the transition against LMG as I am a big fan of their content, and so long as they continue putting out great content I will support them, whether it's on Vessel or YouTube. That said, personally, I dislike the Vessel's UI and I think there's still a lot of work to be done until the user experience for the viewer is on par with YouTube. But I think Vessel is a really good thing, primarily for the competition it will provide for YouTube; perhaps it will even prompt Google to sweeten the pot for creators to get them off of Vessel. :)

That would be great...but I'm sure that by the time they start paying attention / start working on it Vessel will be on par .

Spoiler

PRE-BUILT DESKTOP | CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz | RAM: 4GB DDR2 @ 800MHz (2GBX2) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 w/ 2GB VRAM | HDDs: 3.5" Samsung HD501LJ ATA 500GB 7200rpm & 3.5" Samsung 502IJ ATA 500GB 7200rpm | PSU: MODECOM Feel III-500Watt ATX | Displays: Samsung SyncMaster T22B350 (1920x1080) & LG Flatron W2234S (1680x1050) | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit & Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS | Peripherals: Logitech M90 gray mice & Acme KM10 keyboard | Sound: HDMI 2.0

DELL INSPIRON 15 7000 SERIES (7537) LAPTOP | CPU: Intel i7-4510U @ 2GHz | RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (4GBX2) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M w/ 2GB VRAM | SSHD: 2.5" 1TB + 8GB Flash | Display: 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS w/ Multi-Touch | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | Peripherals: Logitech M100 white mice | Sound:  Logitech Z130 2.0

OTHER DEVICES | Phone: Samsung Galaxy Alpha 32GB

OMG IT SUCKS SO HARD IM FORCED TO WATCH VESSEL ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSS WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

• 2 weeks later...

I have joined the movement and want to support LMG by watching their videos on Vessel. I assumed that it being a paid service, there would not be ads.

But I just got an ad on Vessel, why? Maybe I was misinformed, but isn't the idea of Vessel being paid, that it has no ads?

II might aswell go back to watching on Youtube and forgetting Vessel.

And BTW, Vessel is crap when on low bandwidth (while youtube works fine).

I have joined the movement and want to support LMG by watching their videos on Vessel. I assumed that it being a paid service, there would not be ads.

But I just got an ad on Vessel, why? Maybe I was misinformed, but isn't the idea of Vessel being paid, that it has no ads?

II might aswell go back to watching on Youtube and forgetting Vessel.

And BTW, Vessel is crap when on low bandwidth (while youtube works fine).

why vessel is imo stupid. i would be more than happy if it was vessel ad free (no ads from vessel) and the videos had NO ads about square space and linda and buy shirts do this to amazon, do this on forums do that.  

but yeah, people are brushing this off because they got a year free. but i dont look at it that way. i look at it once that free year is done. and because it was free people were using it then once it goes to paid, people will be more likely to go, well i guess ill do it. 

like i said in my OP. youtube and free lance videos on the internet are going the way of cable. back in the day, everything was Over the air. and it had ads. then cable came along and was like how about we give you those channels but with no ads. and people go, hey thats not a bad idea.  flash forward to today.  its the start of that same thing. but on the internet. 

Don't like Vessel myself. Interface is clunky, video feed randomly doesn't works. Overall pretty inconvenient. I am just waiting for videos to come on youtube but I honestly get distracted with people posting regular videos on youtube. It's hard to explain but I see a new video pops on vessel, I try to watch but it buffers or whatever and I cancel out of it and by the time it's on youtube I don't care about that video anymore.

Who knows maybe I'm the exception and others can easily split time across multiple platforms, Twitch and Youtube are enough for me. Doubt it will cost Linus many views but judging from the number of "Fuck Vessel" threads there will be at least a little bit of a drop. Who knows, I don't really care much tbh.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I agree with you 100%.  I actually watched Jayz video also and got the same feeling.  I have yet to have a vessel video play all the way through without having to refresh the page and after the 1 year of free service I will not renew it unless these issues are fixed.  It is also a pain to go to Vessel to watch Linus' videos and then back to youtube for everyone else's.  For the viewer it is wayyyyyyyy more convenient to stay on youtube.  I think it is a bad choice to move to Vessel and I hope that the videos don't stop being posted on youtube because Linus will lose a wack-ton of viewers and quite honestly if the videos stop showing up on youtube after the free year is up, I will be one of those lost viewers.