Windows 10 to launch this summer :D

IMO if they offer the upgrade from illegal copies..they won't just give them a free copy for ever..

i think that they'll offer the user a 30 day (or a full year?) license, and then offer the full "for ever" license with a discount...

it's a good initiative.. but they won't release windows 10 as a "free for ever" OS... (i mean come on.. we're talking bout Microsoft.....) lol

they still have the Windows shop  (or whatever its name is) ..

Spacebar bestbar

-blocko

Hmm, awesome!

Too bad windows 7 is still better than 10. (Except for DX12...)

Um, windows 7 is not better than windows 10, its not even better than windows 8.  This isn't a matter of opinion. Windows 7 is literally not better than windows 8 or 10. It's inferior in every way.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Um, windows 7 is not better than windows 10, its not even better than windows 8.  This isn't a matter of opinion. Windows 7 is literally not better than windows 8 or 10. It's inferior in every way.

Excuse me kind sir, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would fuck off and respect other peoples opinions.

Thanks!

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

IMO if they offer the upgrade from illegal copies..they won't just give them a free copy for ever..

i think that they'll offer the user a 30 day (or a full year?) license, and then offer the full "for ever" license with a discount...

it's a good initiative.. but they won't release windows 10 as a "free for ever" OS... (i mean come on.. we're talking bout Microsoft.....) lol

they still have the Windows shop  (or whatever its name is) ..

I don't think so. I assume part of it is to simplify the logistics of the free update.

I personally believe that this means they will be offering a full free upgrade (free as in forever) for those who upgrade within the first year of release - that includes legit and pirated copies.

Remember, the free upgrade is only within the first year. After that, anyone that didn't upgrade in time would have to pay for it. Also, any new purchases would also have to pay for it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It's not "upgrade free" for ever but "upgrade free" for a year. Gotta understand that Windows 10 install base is cruticial for universal app to gain any momemtum. Which is pretty much the do or die for Microsoft on the mobile front. 

So it's free for a year, Microsoft hope everybody jump on it so it gets the attention of developper. More apps means more revenue from the store, both Desktop and mobile. 

Has anyone here used W10. Because I wanna know if it's actually worth getting it. I have W7 so I should be able to get it for free but will I not be able to use a whole bunch of my programs for awhile while devs port software and games over.

Well, it's advisable to at least wait couple of months before upgrade specially if you need many software supported. I'm tentatime though :P

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

No offense, but this kind of attitude is what makes people look like fanboys that jump on band-wagons

Excuse me kind sir, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would fuck off and respect other peoples opinions.

Thanks!

I now see your point. While I personally disagree with you about Windows 7 vs 8/8.1/10, I will not claim that it's a hard fact and in "every way". In fact, in many cases it's very subjective. To say it's inferior in "every way" is a very short sighted and ignorant comment for him to make.

It's not free for ever but free for a year. Gotta understand that Windows 10 install base is cruticial for universal app to gain any momemtum. Which is pretty much the do or die for Microsoft on the mobile front. 

So it's free for a year, Microsoft hope everybody jump on it so it gets the attention of developper. More apps means more revenue from the store, both Desktop and mobile. 

What?

No. It's free forever, as long as you upgrade within the first year of release. Why do people keep misunderstanding this?

If you have Windows 7 or 8, and you upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year of release, then you get to keep Windows 10, for free, forever.

If you miss the one year window, then you'll need to pay for the upgrade.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

No. It's free forever, as long as you upgrade within the first year of release. Why do people keep misunderstanding this?

If you have Windows 7 or 8, and you upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year of release, then you get to keep Windows 10, for free, forever.

If you miss the one year window, then you'll need to pay for the upgrade.

So basically it's free for everyone? I could just pirate windows 7, upgrade within 1 year and keep it forever? I really doubt it but seeing how Nadella is being ultra aggressive at my on-going quote on his strategy of "Let's just be Google" now then maybe.

Of course they can always change course and release 11 for retail should this one fail

-------

Current Rig

-------

This sucks balls,as it currently stands windows 10 is kind of shit and they only have till summer to fix it? fuck we will have another win8.0 release which sucked until 8.1 came out,great ill have to deal with a shit OS until first big update.

So many usability fixes needed in win10 right now,i feel like MS isnt even taking windows seriously anymore.

Same shit all over again MS...

I know I know, rereading myself I kind of made it confusing. I added the upgrade term and some quotes but still... :) My post should make a little more sense now that you know I meant "the upgrade" is free for a year. If it was just the first year that was free, the install base wouldn't grow as much

I'm not really a pirate, because my Windows was genuine, but the licence key doesn't work cus I changed motherboards, I think I'll clone my drive and only upgrade on that drive, that way I can dual boot Windows 7 and 10.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Nice, now I can finally get 1080p netflix! >.> Maybe?

Case: Corsair 500R (BitFenix Spectre Pro LED Green) -  CPU: Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2 -  Mobo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming -  GPUs: Asus Strix GTX 970  -  RAM: Kingston Black - 8GB 2133 -  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750G 750W -  Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  -  HDDs: OCZ Vector 150 120GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Green 500GB -  Monitor: Acer B246HYL ymdpr 23.8 IPS  -  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical -  Audio: Sennheiser HD 600 - Magni 2/ Modi 2

I wonder if I have home basic, will I be able to get home premium or ultimate or are they moving away from that cause it sucks?

is it me or anyone else think updating a pirated software is just next to impossible due the cracks and mods applied ?

Sorry your wrong m8. My Windows 8.1 AIO updates just fine. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

This sucks balls,as it currently stands windows 10 is kind of shit and they only have till summer to fix it? fuck we will have another win8.0 release which sucked until 8.1 came out,great ill have to deal with a shit OS until first big update.

So many usability fixes needed in win10 right now,i feel like MS isnt even taking windows seriously anymore.

Same shit all over again MS...

What issues do you have?

this seems to good to be true, where is the catch? where does Microsoft make money? is the free upgrade just going to be a VERY basic OS or what?

I'll what and see but i do hope this is all true!

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

This is great news for me because even though I own a few Windows 7 license y still use a cracked version because its a pain in the ass to reuse my license every time I format my and my relatives computers

Windows is more invested in locking people in their eco system than anything else. Look at their competition ( Android, Linus, BSD, Apple (apple charges for hardware and software). If not for corporate adaptation they will be left behind. Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel they are going to a proven model. e.g SuSE & RedHAT (on the OS/Server side), (Surface devices on the Hardware + Software combo), Windows on MOBILE (Android + iOS). And the Windows/Office 365 (Google's models). Better late than never i guess. But we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

So basically it's free for everyone? I could just pirate windows 7, upgrade within 1 year and keep it forever? I really doubt it but seeing how Nadella is being ultra aggressive at my on-going quote on his strategy of "Let's just be Google" now then maybe.

Of course they can always change course and release 11 for retail should this one fail

Yeah pretty much. Obviously, they don't want anyone to Pirate Windows at all. I assume they are allowing pirated copies to be upgraded simply for the logistical aspects of weeding out the legit copies vs the pirated copies. Most pirated copies defeat the Windows Update verification already, for example.

They're trying to avoid the whole Windows XP Debacle all over again. Windows XP should have died in a hole years ago, but people just would not upgrade (some for legit reasons, others not so much). They want to avoid fragmentation, and get as many people as possible onto the newest OS.

They'll make some of that money back via the Windows 10 Universal Apps Store. They'll make more money from new purchases (When you buy a new laptop or desktop, you're paying Microsoft a small cut of that). They'll make a ton of money for those who won't or cannot upgrade within the 1-year time frame. Plus, Enterprise copies don't qualify for the upgrade, so they'll still make a boat load of money off medium to large size Corporate users.

Fortunately for my work, we use Win 7 Pro, so we qualify :D

Remember, most people don't upgrade their Windows installation. They simply buy a new computer with a newer OS on it.

I know I know, rereading myself I kind of made it confusing. I added the upgrade term and some quotes but still... :) My post should make a little more sense now that you know I meant "the upgrade" is free for a year. If it was just the first year that was free, the install base wouldn't grow as much

No worries, the wording can get quite confusing, quite quickly! :P

I'm not really a pirate, because my Windows was genuine, but the licence key doesn't work cus I changed motherboards, I think I'll clone my drive and only upgrade on that drive, that way I can dual boot Windows 7 and 10.

You can re-activate your Windows key even after changing the motherboard, but you will likely need to phone the Windows Activation Centre. If you tell them that your old motherboard died and you replaced it, and ask them to reactivate your key on the new setup, they will do it.

Granted, that's a pain in the ass, but you should only have to do it once. However, to me, as long as you have a legit key, then whether you're using it or a pirated copy doesn't really matter.

this seems to good to be true, where is the catch? where does Microsoft make money? is the free upgrade just going to be a VERY basic OS or what?

I'll what and see but i do hope this is all true!

If you see above at the top of this post, I laid out a few ways Microsoft will make money. The type of OS you get via the upgrade depends on what version you have currently (Pro, home, etc). You get the fully featured OS during the free upgrade, not some ultra basic version.

Does anyone even checks their sources at The Verge?? They even linked to the Reuters article.

Unless they have their own contacts with Microsoft, I'm not buying it. (not intended).

I think they are only talking about China, although I do hope I'm wrong. 

Can anyone find an article/statement with what the Microsoft dude literally said?

(Reuters) - Microsoft Corp is making its biggest push into the heavily pirated Chinese consumer computing market this summer by offering free upgrades to Windows 10 to all Windows users, regardless of whether they are running genuine copies of the software.

"We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," he said in a telephone interview with Reuters. The plan is to "re-engage" with the hundreds of millions of users of Windows in China, he said, without elaboration.

So this makes it easier for people with pirated copies of Windows 7 and 8 to upgrade. But Windows 10 will still be recognized as non-genuine right?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

So this makes it easier for people with pirated copies of Windows 7 and 8 to upgrade. But Windows 10 will still be recognized as non-genuine right?

The wording of the article implies that no, even if you pirate Windows 7 and 8.1, you'll receive a legitimate Windows 10 license.

The wording of the article implies that no, even if you pirate Windows 7 and 8.1, you'll receive a legitimate Windows 10 license.

Thanks. That was my initial thought, but then I realized it's Microsoft so who knows...

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE