Windows 10 to launch this summer :D

Completely free too, even for pirated copies. Microsoft is incredible lol

This is actually good for me as I can no longer activate my copy of Windows (had to install it several times while overclocking and deciding on which HDD to use)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Dabobminable, on 18 Mar 2015 - 10:04 PM, said:

This is actually good for me as I can no longer activate my copy of Windows (had to install it several times while overclocking and deciding on which HDD to use)

It's good for everybody.

Buying an OS is going to be a thing of the past pretty soon, and I'm all for it. Even though I'm running a legit copy of Windows right now, I'm really tired of having to do it for the MANY machines I have at home lol.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

It's good for everybody.

Buying an OS is going to be a thing of the past pretty soon, and I'm all for it. Even though I'm running a legit copy of Windows right now, I'm really tired of having to do it for the MANY machines I have at home lol.

BTW, your profile pic perfectly expresses the way I fell about being forced to buy an upgrade for Windows every single time an old one, which I paid for, is no longer 'supported'.

PMSL

why I get the feeling that there's more to this free upgrade for everybody.  I suspect M$ imbedded spyware of some sort specially after allowing free upgrades to Chinese pirated copies.  Something is not adding up!  hmmmmmmmm!

what are you up to M$?

why I get the feeling that there's more to this free upgrade for everybody.  I suspect M$ imbedded spyware of some sort specially after allowing free upgrades to Chinese pirated copies.  Something is not adding up!  hmmmmmmmm!

what are you up to M$?

We are talking about Microsoft. Please stay on topic.

Spyware doesn't pay an OS.

Microsoft goes the freemium path. A transition that they will do over time.

Basically, by making Windows 10 free, its market share will be very large, which means that developer will start making Universal Apps which can only be sold through Microsoft own store (or given for free with Microsoft ad system), which brings revenue to Microsoft.

Google and Apple are making several billion of dollars just from its store. Microsoft will also focus on services. For example XBox Music, OneDrive, Office 365, and so on. Microsoft goal is to make it the best as possible so that you, as a consumer, see value in it, and subscribe to it.

Its the older equivalent of Win 8/8.1, so yes I will (as it happens the only computer that has ever had Vista in my family got an upgrade to Win 7, and runs a hell of a lot faster even with Aero).

And like Vista, 8 and 8.1 get a hell of a lot more hate then they deserve. They are pretty good parallels, though. Out of the gate both had issues both major and minor that drove early adopters nuts. Neither were bad OSes at launch but started getting shit on out of the gate due to massive changes and having a not spectacular launch further hurt them (MS' bullshit "Vista Ready" stickers for PCs made it even worse). Both had service packs that turned them into really good OSes.

The way I read it, the free upgrade for pirated copies would be for china only.

Yy1WiAy.png

/discussion

On the other hand, saying something isn't true because it's opinion is a case of confirmation bias.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

On the other hand, saying something isn't true because it's opinion is a case of confirmation bias.

I'm not saying that windows 7 is better than 10 as a fact, I'm saying that it is better as an opinion. (Though with an update to 10 that I saw today its getting closer to just about even for me).

Its like how some people think macs are better than pcs, even though pcs are obviously superior.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm not saying that windows 7 is better than 10 as a fact, I'm saying that it is better as an opinion. (Though with an update to 10 that I saw today its getting closer to just about even for me).

Its like how some people think macs are better than pcs, even though pcs are obviously superior.

That's only because Microsoft drove devs away from using OpenGL in games (thus putting Mac OS/OSX and Linux far behind in regards to gaming). :ph34r:

PMSL

So that definition is telling me that if I think a 3 feet cable is longer than a 12 feet cable, that's an opinion?

It can be if you want it to.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You can say its better as an opinion all you want it doesn't change the fact that it is not.

There are hundreds of technical and under the hood improvements made since Windows 7 that make it far more stable, secure, fast, efficient, and a ton more useful features (and I'm not talking about GUI features either).

Sounds like you just like the GUI better and you somehow think the GUI is representative of how good an OS actually is.

Also Windows 10 isn't even complete yet and they are still working on and changing things on a daily basis at MS internally so not sure why you're so definitive about it being worse anyway.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

You can say its better as an opinion all you want it doesn't change the fact that it is not.

There are hundreds of technical and under the hood improvements made since Windows 7 that make it far more stable, secure, fast, efficient, and a ton more useful features (and I'm not talking about GUI features either).

Sounds like you just like the GUI better and you somehow think the GUI is representative of how good an OS actually is.

Also Windows 10 isn't even complete yet and they are still working on and changing things on a daily basis at MS internally so not sure why you're so definitive about it being worse anyway.

I never said that it was a fact.

If only there was a world where you could share your damn opinion and not have people tell you that you're wrong.

Or give you shit about it *

So what distro of Windows will windows 7 Home users be upgrading too? Is there a table or something to show the upgrade path?

So what distro of Windows will windows 7 Home users be upgrading too? Is there a table or something to show the upgrade path?

We'll get Windows 10 Home.

PMSL

Oh ok that's good. I was thinking M$ would screw us over and give us starter or basic or whatever the distro even lower than Home is.

Oh ok that's good. I was thinking M$ would screw us over and give us starter or basic or whatever the distro even lower than Home is.

Same here, I had to do a bit of digging to get the proper information.

PMSL

Knowing Microsoft's recent change in flavoring it will probably be called Windows 10 Core Edition.

Knowing Microsoft's recent change in flavoring it will probably be called Windows 10 Core Edition.

So they are changing the way the market their OS now?

PMSL

So they are changing the way the market their OS now?

It's been that way since Windows 8 (Core + Pro).

I think this is target to china which apparently has excessive pirating issues...but I can't confirm this. I'll look into this.

on ncix news they said that it would be free for non-genuine lol. *confirmed*

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

It's been that way since Windows 8 (Core + Pro).

I haven't had much to do with Win 8 except for trying to get it installing properly on a new ultrabook (ASUS blamed Microsoft, Microsoft blamed ASUS, and ASUS refused to allow me to download Win 7 versions of the Ubooks drivers). As it is I only upgraded from XP to 7 at the start of last year.

PMSL