Nvidia : Pascal is 10X Faster Than Maxwell – Features Mixed Precision, 3D Memory and NV-Link

MetroP

b1c017b071625a0e206114b5362d40fb6a851ed4

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

I'm more excited about volta even though we'll probably never see consumer GPU's from it.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It better be priced like how flagship hardware was prices years ago... like freaking half of today, and actually offered more.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

isn't NVlink only available on server and those kind of stuff?

The only way Nvidia gets 10x faster at deep-learning AI is if they pick up branch prediction in the GPU, something that is thermally expensive (and the reason Intel and IBM are the two biggest AI researchers. AI is based on heavily branching code (you can TRY to reduce it to mathematical functions, but they break the moment you allow evolution and not just simple learning), and even parallelized there are lots of race conditions and branches to deal with. Providing a short-circuit call-response with neuron testing combined with even 50% accurate branch prediction (Haswell branch predictor is 96% accurate) would be a significant upgrade, but at what cost? 16nmFF+ is a great process shrink which should help power and heat a lot, especially if it's FD-FFS-SOI (Fully-Depleted FinFet Silicon On Insulator) which is what IBM went with to try to keep their Power 8 chips in heat envelopes just within the realm between obnoxious and insane (230W for the 12-core flagship).

That said, how many branch predictors and at what accuracy? If you wonder why x86 doesn't scale down super easily to lower heat envelopes it's a combination of ALU count, out of order processing, and branch prediction. To attempt this on something as massive as a GPU... It sounds like Fermi all over again...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

isn't NVlink only available on server and those kind of stuff?

For now but when pascal comes around, it will be part of GPUs.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

• 1 month later...

Nvidia's beastly new Titan X graphics card wows you—and it should—well, hold onto your pants: The company said it's next-gen GPU technology, codenamed Pascal, will offer roughly ten times the performance of the Titan X, at least in compute tasks.

The next-generation GPU from Nvidia would also offer a host of new technologies, including 3D-stacked memory and NVLink, said CEO Jen-Hsun Huang during the GPU Technology Conference's keynote in San Jose. The GPU will essentially be a super computer, Huang said, and Nvidia is shooting for it to be ten times faster than today's Maxwell-based GPUs. 

Well I for one am EXTREMLY cynical about this.

We never see this kind of performance leap from one generation to another.

Only time will tell but I seriously doubt it.

Original Article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898175/nvidias-next-gen-pascal-gpu-will-offer-10x-the-performance-of-titan-x-8-way-sli.html

8 way sli ? find me a motherboard that supports that and im in

also, those mobile gpu that will come out of it will be SICK

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

10 times the performance of a Titan X hey? So in reality 5 times the performance, and 20 times the price, right?

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

The world isn't ready for this kind of stuff, remember the consoles that are still lagging behind...

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Im pretty sure this would be done with 4 dual gpu cards...

Something like this?

BybZPJTCQAAnC9w.png

thats not sli

thier just in thier

-SNIP-

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I don't see this as being impossible. There have been leaps and bounds in performance and efficiency with rendering tasks in the past few years up to twenty years. When they say they'll have "Roughly X performance" then I'll believe them because they've gotten very close to their targets before. Nvidia is more likely to hit that 10 GHz mark than Intel with how they're going too.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is whether or not Jen-Hsun said these are dedicated compute cards or consumer cards. I would hazard a guess saying dedicated.

Always trying to find reason.

I noticed that lol.

Even then you rarely see this drastic increase in performance.

Maybe the arquitecure is THAT efficient at those tasks , we will see.

key word was compute tasks. 

considering the DP compute on titan X is gimped to hell this shouldn't be terribly hard. it's a 1/32 of the SP because they had to cut out the DP compute units to save die space. now that they can get a much smaller process, they'll be able to ramp back up the DP compute perf. if they didn't in fact, it would be kinda sad. 10x is a minimum of what I'd expect.

too bad it'll still be overpriced.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I have a feeling a lot of prosumers are going to misinterpret  Pascal and think NVlink is going to quadruple their video-games FPS when they aren't even close to maxing out PCIe 3.0.

I don't see this as being impossible. There have been leaps and bounds in performance and efficiency with rendering tasks in the past few years up to twenty years. When they say they'll have "Roughly X performance" then I'll believe them because they've gotten very close to their targets before. Nvidia is more likely to hit that 10 GHz mark than Intel with how they're going too.

Possible ? yes

Unlikely ? Most definitely.

Nvidia has a track record of lie after lie , I will believe it when they have a prototype or when the final product comes out.

@Prastupok

very vroom ram

many compute

Something like this?

sfxhlc.jpg

thats not sli. do you see a bridge ?

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

So, we can probably expect at max a 20-30% increase in FPS for games from the Titan X, maybe.  Can we just lose sli-bridges?  That'd be nice.

He was asking just about the motherboard.

its a mining rig. there are splitters. and or probably 2 motherboards

4 dual GPUs in SLI

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro