Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Choosing a CX PSU. Oh well not getting a new one 'till this one gives me issues. 

Hey at least it isn't a logisys psu !

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

yes, but i wouldn't delid the 4790k considering that the tim isn't half bad.

I get 85C on load.

I just got the 4790K the other day, I was considering doing it before I ever dropped it in, and decided I'd see how it went first. 65 degrees pleased me, thus, no delidding. Did you seriously bring the 3770K back from the dead?! if so, how?!

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

I just got the 4790K the other day, I was considering doing it before I ever dropped it in, and decided I'd see how it went first. 65 degrees pleased me, thus, no delidding. Did you seriously bring the 3770K back from the dead?! if so, how?!

i resoldered the broken pins and prayed for it to work( with the help of my dad, i have no soldering skills).

It's kicking , but dual channel is not working anymore.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

i resoldered the broken pins and prayed for it to work( with the help of my dad, i have no soldering skills).

It's kicking , but dual channel is not working anymore.

10/10 would bring back from the dead again though. Did you at least get any sick gains in cooling effectiveness? 'Cause if so... Worth.

10/10 would bring back from the dead again though. Did you at least get any sick gains in cooling effectiveness? 'Cause if so... Worth.

didn't even delid it.

It went flying because i was using the vice method...

Once i saw the damaged pins i stopped and check if it was working Spoilers ; it was not )

didn't even delid it.

It went flying because i was using the vice method...

Once i saw the damaged pins i stopped and check if it was working Spoilers ; it was not )

that could have gone much worse than it did, glad it (mostly) worked out in the end!

Once put a computer on a table to work on it around christmas, and one of my at the time toddler cousins who climbed up on the table where i was working (keep in mind he was wearing the wool pajamas that get filled with static) and looked into my computer. he went to touch the motherboard when i wasn't paying attention, and ended up frying it with his static. 

My biggest mistake would have to be accidentally tearing my AMD 8350 off the motherboard with the heatsink due to not twisting it off, long story short I now own a Skylake 6600K.

Biggest mistake, hmm, I guess that would have been earlier last year. After the Acer XB270HU panels hit the market I grabbed one, fell in love with it, so a few months later I bought 2 more when availability came around.  No issues.... Until I went about the process of removing the bezels. One of the panels had a 3-pixel size speck of dust towards the bottom right, so I figure I'll leave that for last, I debezel the other 2 panels no prob, and now it is the time for the 3rd panel. I needed to remove the screen to simply wipe away the dust, no problem, done this before plenty of times. The 3rd panel, the bezel was not wanting to come apart.... So, as I had in the past, lightly placed a plastic putty knife in-between bezel + screen for leverage, still good at this point... I start removing the bezel by hand from the outside at this point with the putty knife still lodged, I didn't realize how much pressure I was putting on the screen though and the next thing I hear is a cracking noise. At first I thought it was simply the plastic bezel giving way, well..... I was wrong. After I removed the dirt from behind the screen and debezeled that 3rd panel, everything looked alright so no big deal. I hooked the 3 panels up side-by-side on a stand on the desk for glorious 3 screen awesomeness, LIFE IS GOOD, until I powered up the 3rd panel and saw the crack in the LCD where I had that putty knife...

I think that's the most costly mistake I've made in relation to computer components, as the replacement cost me another $800.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

My biggest mistake would probably be my cooler master cosmos 2. Its absolutely massive and weights 50lbs and yet has awful water cooling support , no window , cant fit on my desk and has a price tag of $400.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHZ | MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme V Eatx LGA2011-3 | RAM: 16.00GB DDR4 G-Skills Ripjaws @2400Mhz | GPU: 2x Gtx 980 | CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos 2 | STORAGE: 400GB INTEL 750 Series PCI-E SSD/ 3TB Western Digital WDC | PSU: Corsair AXi 1200w | DISPLAYS: ASUS PB287Q (3840x2160@60Hz) And LG27MU67 (3840x2160@60Hz)

Choosing a CX PSU. Oh well not getting a new one 'till this one gives me issues. 

Could've been worse. Could've been something like a cheap grey box PSU.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Could've been worse. Could've been something like a cheap grey box PSU.

Shiny PSU....

I f***** hate shiny PSU.

Shiny PSU blew up and rekked my motherboard.

Stupid OEM builds. Not that it was worth any....

I have a black PSU now.

I like my black PSU.

This.

SjTwIZ2.gif

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

My first computer when i was like 10 and it was hot so i was like yeah ill get a fan outside and just open the panel yeah, also thinking that my brother actually knew stuff about computers on the same computer i had messed it up viruses and BSODS for days and eventually wouldnt boot  so he takes it to his mate and he says cant be fixed and im like okay, so we take it apart and hes like you fucked this up bad man and im like okaaay, then we pull out the CPU and hes like yeah thats your problem there's dust all over it.., then bought a pre built wasnt that bad except the PSU and RAM since they died on me and got more crappy ram and no name PSU but that PC went on for 8 years and still works fine, learnt heaps and got much needed experience.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

Drinking in front of my computer. Drinking way too much. I had my computer on the floor back then, right next to the table. I accidentally knocked a full 1 liter (33~34 ounces) glass of vodka mixed with cola off the table, and pretty much all of it ended up in the fans on top of the computer, blastering everything around it with vodka and cola for a few seconds before the computer died.Everything in my old computer died except for my two hard drives. Too bad, that HD5850 was only a couple weeks old =/

Lol that'd be hilarious if if happend on a stream
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GBStorage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GBGPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X OC Video CardCase: Corsair SPEC-01 REDPower Supply: EVGA 600BNetworking Card: TP-Link TL-WDN4800Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" MonitorKeyboard: Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition (Cherry MX Blue) Mouse: Logitech G100s | Quote me and say "Dope Flamingo" if you actually read this. 

Convinced my family to get me a tablet for b-day present. Told them to go with the Samsung Tab 2 10.1 since it was a good eco tablet and in their price range. A DAY AFTER my 30-day return runs out, Google announces the Nexus 7 at $50 less than what the Tab 2 costs.

I checked every site, forum, and rumor and didn't see that coming. I heard rumors of a new Nexus tablet coming out but I didn't expect it at that price range. In the end I was stuck with a low end tablet (still works fine today for basic stuff) and lost out on a more powerful tablet that had support waaaay after my Tab did :/

Other than that, I've been pretty good at researching before I do something silly.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I did something pretty recent. Was working on a 24 driver server at work some reason physically we had 24 SATA plugs all used up but only 22 drives I had noticed in my rush to get this server out I had plugged in a SATA cable one end into a 2nd SATA  port quickly fixed but didn't half feel like a idiot. 

non modular psu

Red Fury: Cpu intel i5 4960k GPU 1060 6gb, Cooling  noctua dh15 storage 1tb sshd 250gb ssd mobo gigabyte z97p-3 case fractal r4 ram hyper x fury red 8 gb psu 550w xfx ts os win 10 monitor lg 25um56 

I checked every site, forum, and rumor and didn't see that coming. <snip>

Other than that, I've been pretty good at researching before I do something silly.

Sounds like you did do your research beforehand, to be honest the trigger has to be pulled at some time if you waited for the latest and greatset you would still have nothing as there are new better products all the time and you would continually be waiting .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Sounds like you did do your research beforehand, to be honest the trigger has to be pulled at some time if you waited for the latest and greatset you would still have nothing as there are new better products all the time and you would continually be waiting .

Yeah, but it just bugs me (even to this day). Btw I meant the Nexus 2013 model. I saw the first Nexus and thought about it but decided on the Tab 2 because the specs to price ratio leaned towards the Tab at the time and it was a 10 in screen. But then the 2013 model is announced and blows the Tab out the water on top of a cheaper price tag. Google even sent out an update for  the 2013 model to Marshmallow while my Tab 2 lost support after Jelly Bean (multiple failed attempts have been made to root it and upgrade manually) :/

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Plugging in USB 2 into the hd audio header and the hd audio into the usb 2 with my headphones plugged in and when i turned it on it did  not post and let out blue smoke

Trying to move the mobo of some old Lenovo server to a new case. I could only screw it in with 2 screws and after I put everything in I saw that the psu cables were too short...

Wasted an hour...

Another occurance,

When I was 13 or something, I was trying to take off the stock cooler on the GtX 660, and it wouldn't come off. I tried usng sauder to break it off, until I noticed the screws on the back. I just stared blankly at the wall, now noticing i just ruined a 200 dollar piece of hardware.