Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

When I got mad at my laptop and smashed it, I actually raged and broke it!

might have done that only with a keyboard at one point... Said incident may have occurred during my University days after getting rather frustrated carrying a particularly crap team through an assignment. I might have wrenched it right out of the back of my PC and possibly brought it and my knee together at a rather high velocity. The result of which may have been the mostly metal keyboard bending in half and its keys ricocheting all over the room; bouncing off of the ceiling, walls, windows, doors and floor - not to mention the lone occupant at the time  :lol:

It was not a smart thing to do but it sure was satisfying.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

When I was very young, I took the CPU cooler off just because I want to see what's underneath. Then put it back without reapply the thermal paste. The computer suffer for the next 2 years with very loud fan noise and eventually die.

Delidding my 3770K for the second time.  Everything was fine when I did it the first time.  PC ran fine for about two years until I decided to watercool.  Got the naked ivy adapter from EK and put everything together.  Lo and behold, nothing booted up.  After a few days of troubleshooting I came to the conclusion the CPU was shot.

I bought a Dell PowerEdge 2950 thinking I could turn it into a Gaming PC.

Yeah. I did that.

Those things are damn heavy. I once had to fix one that had fallen on the floor (somebody decided to use a forklift to move them and they fell off), it hit the floor so hard that the metal bracket for fixing it to the rack (5mm thick steel) bent, and the CPUs got pulled out of the sockets (with the mounting lock in place). Miraculously, they worked when I put them back together again.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Bought a r9 290 for $400, 3 months later they dropped to $200

Those things are damn heavy. I once had to fix one that had fallen on the floor (somebody decided to use a forklift to move them and they fell off), it hit the floor so hard that the metal bracket for fixing it to the rack (5mm thick steel) bent, and the CPUs got pulled out of the sockets (with the mounting lock in place). Miraculously, they worked when I put them back together again.

Damn! that's insane. Yeah even the chassis itself weighs like 40 lbs...

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

Damn! that's insane. Yeah even the chassis itself weighs like 40 lbs...

Yeah, when a PGA CPU can be lifted out of the socket simply by lifting the cooler, you know something went really wrong :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I might have done that only with a keyboard at one point... Said incident may have occurred during my University days after getting rather frustrated carrying a particularly crap team through an assignment. I might have wrenched it right out of the back of my PC and possibly brought it and my knee together at a rather high velocity. The result of which may have been the mostly metal keyboard bending in half and its keys ricocheting all over the room; bouncing off of the ceiling, walls, windows, doors and floor - not to mention the lone occupant at the time [emoji38]

It was not a smart thing to do but it sure was satisfying.

I've broke an old keyboard in 4 pieces after I got extremely angry because Windows broke itself AGAIN during Windows update.

put my hdd over the case in horizontal without putting anything under, the hdd inferior connectors were touching my pentium 3 case "in those years the whole case was made of metal"

so, in the moment to start the PC, the HDD started to burn shedding many spearks, and coming off an exaggerated amount of light.

I was lucky to not burn the whole computer

Buying a Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1. Ended up with a Corsair 750D not long after buying the Thermaltake. Trying to sell it and just wont leave. It's like a plague on my tech shelf...

I did the exact same thing, but luckily I was able to sell it to a friend of mine while I was building his PC haha.

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Specs:
Screeninator: ASUS GTX970 STRIX
Powermathingy: Corsair AX760
Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz Blue
Procrastinator: Intel i5 3570K (stock)
Holdametalicizor: Corsair Obsidian 750D
Noisoundacreator: Sennheiser HD 558
Attatchamajiggy: MSI Z77A-G45 (SUCKS)
Remembrerthing: 750GB Samsung 840 EVO (3x250GB)
Flat-Colorful-Thing: Iiyama craptron 2000
See-A-Move-O: Corsair M45
ButtonBoard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Browns)

I've broke an old keyboard in 4 pieces after I got extremely angry because Windows broke itself AGAIN during Windows update.

One of my favourite stories of PC rage is my friend breaking his gaming mouse in rage whilst playing minesweeper. Not a word of a lie.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

One of my favourite stories of PC rage is my friend breaking his gaming mouse in rage whilst playing minesweeper. Not a word of a lie.

That is effing amazing!!! also amazing that he taking minesweeper so serious that he has a gaming mouse for it  ;)

That is effing amazing!!! also amazing that he taking minesweeper so serious that he has a gaming mouse for it  ;)

I think he had just reinstalled windows so was waiting for about 10 steam games to download and killing time with minesweeper. He almost won, fucked up and slammed his mouse on the desk in frustration, somehow breaking the sensor xD I've broken a pair of Steel Series Headphones in anger before, but not as directly. I died (for like the 20th time) in a game of DOTA at a LAN party and stood up to get a drink whilst still wearing my headphones, completely ruining the cable in the process...luckily Steel series=bae and they sent me a new pair in an RMA :D

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Back when I was using a crappy PC I was using a separate power supply to power my graphics card and i forgot to bridge the 24 pin killing that power supply. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

q0012508.jpg

The guy who flipped that red switch on a dying supply. Switched the pc on and pop went the weasal lol

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHzGigabyte GTX 970 4GB WF3  | Thermaltake Chaser A31 | Z97 Guard Pro

Gaming | Anime | Programming 

Back in 2007, my brother made himself a custom pc including a Geforce 8800GT. Curious as I was about computers and electronics (I was 13), I asked him if I could play on his rig, and if he could tell me more about the way it worked. He kept saying no, not willing to spend much time with me. So I waited for him to be out with friends to sneak into his room and open up his case so as to have a look at the components inside. I pulled his GPU out, examined it, tried to disassemble it a little. When I put all back together however, I had forgotten to plug the graphics card fan back on (I had unplugged the one attached to the PCB). 
Therefore, when he came back home and tried to play Battlefield 2, his screen showed artifacts within minutes after having launched the game. His GPU had fried. He soon found out what I had done and... "Let us draw the curtain of charity over the rest of the scene", as Mark Twain would write.

My old cpu was in my plastic socket that my cpu was in when it was packaged...After I was done cleaning and planning to put it away for future use, I thought it was smart to pick it up and tip it forward.<< Was in a rush to get it put away so I can clean my cpu cooler  This caused the cpu to fall out and hit the side of a trash can near me and then fell into it  :wacko: ....Luckily the trash can was full of paper towels, coffee filters, and q tips that I used to clean my cpu with...So it had a soft landing ^_^ .....

Luckily my cpu survived the fall and it seemed to have no parts damaged according to the visuals I have made or what I have looked at.

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

Removed 2 hard drives from my Windows Home Serve V1. For some stupid reason I thought all of my data would be on remaining 4 drives. Lost a good bit of data. I could not believe I made such a bone head mistake.

getting a spec 03 case , and a cx psu . Prices are fucked up here.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Biggest mistake I've ever made was I used to think my mum's vibrators were electric toothbrushes without a brush and so I would tape a broom head to them and brush my teeth with it.

I'm guessing it was a membrane keyboard

I had always covered my PSU with a piece of paper to prevent dropping a screw when uninstalling GPU's. I did not do it one time, and I dropped a screw into it.

Spent 30 minutes getting it out, had to unplug everything, take out PSU and ended up using a straw and the power of suction to carefully move the screw up in the right orientation to get it through the vents.

Tried to save myself 10 seconds and ended up wasting half an hour of my time.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]