Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

forgot to put on the cpu mounting backplate, screwed the cooler directly into the mobo

Currently spending money on parts

Lean on the case sidings when they're off. Luckly I felt the flex and backed off.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Having to punch out the 5.25" drive bay to a cheap case because it was impossible to take off. Got some bloody knuckles, so no big deal.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Here is mine, modding the side panel of my first build, i cut out a window wit out tapping the side panel, my skills with the dreamel were 0, so i ended up scratching the hell out of the side panel, had to painted it, so i ended with a two tone case for a long time until recently y wrapped the hole case in carbon fiber vinyl, and now looks awesome.  :D

My C70 case has a post in the middle motherboard standoff instead of a screw hole, so I put the motherboard in and didn't unscrew the rest of the screws to go do something else, when I come back, I forgot that it wasn't screwed in and I flip my case over, and out goes the motherboard, luckily there was no damage.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

A few things

- Bought a somewhat low-end card instead of saving up for a better one.

- Bought a board that doesn't support SATA 3.0 thinking i would never buy an SSD.

- Cheaped out on the PSU.

Current Build:

AMD FX-6300 - ASUS M5A78L-M LX+ - Radeon HD 7770 - WD 500GB HDD - 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu

Thinking my Seidon 240M will fit properly inside CMStorm Scout 2. Broke the DIMM slot on mobo after I knocked the DIMM in the process.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

My friend had two triple slot R9 290s so we used cardboard pieces to hold them up.

Another friend couldn't find the standoff screws so we used these really long ones that you are supposed to use for radiators. It looks hilarious looking at it.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

The other day i spent 3 hours trying to get a display signal after replacing my PSU fan (with a PWM Noctua).

...I had forgotten to plug in the 8-pin CPU power cable.

opening up my psu while it was running and touching a metal bit to see if it was hot and getting electrocuted badly

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU

tried to get off a assembled backplate of a mobo i bought used 

i destroyed the mobo completely

and i used a molex adapter thingy to connect the 4-pin on a friends build. he wanted to use the psu from is prebuild pc he had before for thet and it s 4 pin was wayyyyy to short for the new case

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

I had a friend who forgot to buy a motherboard and than he bent one of the CPU pins. 

I cut a fan grill off out of my case in order to put the radiator on top instead of the fans. With metal snips. My computer is a lot quieter now.

touched the old AT case power switch terminals with an non insulated screw driver while powered on, it was shocking ! can anyone remember AT cases lol ?

1.21 gigawatts !!! 1.21 gigawatts!!.... Great Scott!

Went overkill on the PSU going 250W over what I needed.

i5 4670 | Asrock Fatal1ty H87 | G.Skill 16GB snipars | Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce | CM 690 III | 850 Evo 250GB + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Seasonic G-750 | Logitech G502 | AKG K553 | Windows 10

When I built my i7 860 rig I had the ram in the wrong channels and I was going crazy for 3 days trying to figure out why it wasn't working. To my defence, manual that came with my Gigabyte motherboard instructed to put it in those slots....

I bought a noname power supply.

I think you know what will follow, but I was lucky; only my CD-DVD drive burned.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

For my first build I actually put RAM which wasn't compatible with my MOBO, strangest thing is though it worked. This did lead to problems further down the road which is what made me look into the RAM I had used, that's when I found out and used compatible RAM  :) I also put my hard drives in with the cables facing the left hand side of the case in my first build, my cables looked sooooooo bad  :o