Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4. This counts right? RIGHT?!

I'd have to say a Xonar STX, which the software would never install, and when it did, the sound was extremely low, so low that at 100% volume, you could faintly, and I mean faintly hear the audio.

An Eagle Eye mouse and keyboard adapter for consoles.

Elgato capture card. The USB delay is atrocious.

Blue Icicle, damn thing wouldn't even install on windows 7.

I've thought of doing that, but I've only got the camera on my phone, which is 10 years old and just not good enough for doing proper videos with.

'Run what you brung '

You can only pee with the $%£^ you've got

Even if ithe video looks like it was shot with a potato at least it will show them that you are serious and willing to show them what the problem is .  So they will no longer think you are lying (unskilled or misinformed possibly but not lying ).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

An iPhone 

lol

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

Cheap dell inspiron... It was made out of the cheapest plastic I've ever seen on a laptop. The entire bezel around the screen cracked and broke. Also the battery died after only a few months.

/AMD FX-6350 o/c to 4.4/Sapphire r9 270x 2GB/2x8GB HyperX Fury red/MSI 970 Gaming/EVGA 500B/NZXT S340/Corsair H100i V2/HyperX Fury 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB/                                   

While in on vacation in China, I was at this HUGE indoor mall with many little shops and I cam upon an electronics store. Well in China, they don't have regulations about this kind of stuff.  Well I was in the midst of building my desktop back home and had yet gotten an OS.  I was browsing the software there and came across a "Windows 8.1 OS disk".  I looked at it and it seemed pretty legit and I looked at the price and it was ¥125 which is the equivalent to about $20 USD. I thought, hell, mine as well try it! Nope. Never buy software from Chinese markets, EVER.  0/10 would never buy again.  Basically put it in and it was a blank DVD.

Setup

CPU: i7 10700K Cooled By Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix White Edition | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 VISION OC | MOBO: MSI MPG Z490M |

MEMORY: 32 GBs of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB White CASE: White Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 W SFX | 

STORAGE: 2 TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD & 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 MONITOR: ASUS TUF VG27WQ1B 

PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow V3 W/ Yellow Switches and Logitech G604 | OTHER: 8x White Corsair iCue QL120 and White Cable Extensions 

Add me on Steam!

While in on vacation in China, I was at this HUGE indoor mall with many little shops and I cam upon an electronics store. Well in China, they don't have regulations about this kind of stuff.  Well I was in the midst of building my desktop back home and had yet gotten an OS.  I was browsing the software there and came across a "Windows 8.1 OS disk".  I looked at it and it seemed pretty legit and I looked at the price and it was ¥125 which is the equivalent to about $20 USD. I thought, hell, mine as well try it! Nope. Never buy software from Chinese markets, EVER.  0/10 would never buy again.  Basically put it in and it was a blank DVD.

nice. my friend almost got mugged twice in china and so many knockoffs and scams, super shady place, even shadier than telcos.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

'Run what you brung '

You can only pee with the $%£^ you've got

Even if ithe video looks like it was shot with a potato at least it will show them that you are serious and willing to show them what the problem is .  So they will no longer think you are lying (unskilled or misinformed possibly but not lying ).

Yeah... I was taking a video of it, and after 20 minutes of 30 second videos, my phone ran out of memory and then it acted up. I might invest in at the very least a new tablet.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Monster earbuds, pair 1 broke in the first month, pair 2 broke with in the second week. Or maybe an expensive dell pre-built, I still get chills from that purchase...

Build Modulus

[x] Intel Core i7 3770 [x] PNY xlr8 16gb(2x8) 1600mhz [x] Asus Strix 970 [x] Corsair h90, 3x corsair sp140, 1x Corsair af120 [x] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [x] NZXT S340 [x] EVGA superNOVA NEX 650w [x] Asus xonar DG,Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro (80ohms), PreSonus M7, PreSonus AudioBox [x] WASD keyboard 104 key(Mx Brown) [x] Corsair M65 RGB [x] WD Blue 1TB 7200 HDD, WD passport 1tb [x] Asus VN247H-P, BenQ 2420Z [x]

Cycling Gear

[x] Giant Defy 5 [x] CamelBak Classic 2L [x] Nishiki Socorro [x] Giro Bravo Blue Jewel/Black [x] Midland Xtra-Talk w/ Headset (For Group Rides) [x] Casio G-Shock G100-1BV [x] Zefal Saddle Bag [x] Giant Control Mini MTB+ Frame Pump [x] Schwinn Expanding Cage [x] 2* Giant 700c*25c Tubes - Presta Valve [x] 2* Tire Levers [x] Stanley Allen Key Set [x] Mini-Lock For Saddle Bag [x]

Some dirt cheap earphones on eBay when my only pair of headphones broke.

I had bought them as an "emergency" pair of earphones, but I'd rather listened without earphones than use these.

Like they were even worse than my lowest expectations I had for these.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Got a cut on my arm from a CPU's heatsink because I didn't know you have to unhook the clamps on the RAM slots to remove the ram, so i tried using both of my hands to pull the RAM stick off and i lost grip and yeah.  :mellow:

Thought my motherboard or power supply is faulty because I didn't push the 24 pin motherboard power connector fully, afraid to break my broad  :D  :D

$2 1.5metre USB to Micro USB charging cable, accidently pulled the cable with a small tug and the cable dislocated itself, in less than a month.

I've thought of doing that, but I've only got the camera on my phone, which is 10 years old and just not good enough for doing proper videos with.

you could borrow a camera from someone? you have friends right?

For me it would be a Dingoo A330 and it's controller/gamepad. It's a handheld emulator that costs like 200$ with the controller at around 60$. When I got it, the bloody thing broke within a month! After I got a replacement, history seemed to repeat itself. Not to mention the terrible Bluetooth controller, that I bought separately.

Reasons it sucked: Terrible firmware, constant freezing, buttons are mushy, the "R" and "L" buttons broke nearly instantly, overpriced, unstable emulators, clunky menus, not everything was translated to English, a lot of it poorly, the only way to make an upgrade to the OS was to install "Dingux" (a Linux based version of the OS), etc.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

The second worst is the Phillips SHP1900 Headphones. I got an instant headache, nausea, and generally felt sick when I listened to them. Luckily was still able to trade them back in a long with a non-functioning version of Splinter Cell: Blacklist for a nice pair of Sennheiser HD 203's.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

My phone - Konka W980 / Symphony Xplorer ZII / Tusmobil W980 Sirius

Can barely turn on

Whats the worst thing you've done to a piece of hardware? The worst I've done so far I did about 5 minutes ago. I dropped a cpu 2ft into a bathroom sink where it did some flips then slid around it a bit. It doesn't have pins so no pins were bent but the worst part is what was in the sink. There was pepsi in the sink from when I had dumped out a drink about half an hour earlier and it slid all through the pepsi luckily it was on the side without the contacts so its good. 

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

I broke the Locking Mechanism on my SSD's Sata Connector

Because he had a hard drive.

Threw my phone across the room because a moth scared the living crap out of me, the thousand dollar note 4 skidded on its screen side for a meter. its fine, not even a scratch!

Dropped my i3 when I was trying to get it out of the little stupid plastic pos case. Landed on the floor contact side down... Its been working for 2 years now.

I licked the bottom of a 2600S as a proof of concept (that touching the pins/pads isn't the end of the world). Still works perfectly to this day

"Rawr XD"

Uhm... lets see. The worst I'VE done to hardware is probably when took the braket off of an old modem card, and put it in the pci slot backwards with the power going to the motherboard. Killed the motherboard. 

Although this was only a p4 2.4 jiggahertz and a 478 socket.

Well I mean I did this recently

8hwhAof.jpg

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

I had a network card droop down onto a graphics card when the system was on, needless to say, it died instantly :S

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I tossed some CRT monitors from a 2nd floor when we were cleaning the old office before moving out.

Mystery is the source of all true science.