How do you pronounce solder?

Totallycasual

Every time i hear @LinusTech pronounce solder i wonder to myself is it just a Canadian/North American thing or are Aussies just way off, we pronounce it phonetically like Sold with er on the end but Linus sounds like he's saying sauter? 

If you're from an English speaking country which country are you from and how do you pronounce it? :)

saw-der is the correct pronunciation

you can check google if youre unsure

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

saaader

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Every time i hear @Linus pronounce solder i wonder to myself is it just a Canadian/North American thing or are Aussies just way off, we pronounce it phonetically like Sold with er on the end but Linus sounds like he's saying sauter? 

If you're from an English speaking country which country are you from and how do you pronounce it? :)

I'm from California and pronounce it more like soder or maybe saw der so silent l

Every time i hear @LinusTech pronounce solder i wonder to myself is it just a Canadian/North American thing or are Aussies just way off, we pronounce it phonetically like Sold with er on the end but Linus sounds like he's saying sauter?

I'm Aussie also and I pronounce it the same way as you mate.....the correct way. :D JK

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'm Aussie also and I pronounce it the same way as you mate.....the correct way. :D JK

Yay for our way being the right way!!! Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi..... joking too of course, sounds horribly arrogant lol different strokes for different folks it seems :)  

Sodder/sawder sounds dumb and lazy lol.

Solder, as in soldier sounds better.

I'm from Mexico and here pretty much you have to pronounce the L, otherwise it sounds dumb xD.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Solid = Saw + lid

Middle English: from Old French soudure, from the verb souder, from Latin solidare ‘fasten together,’ from solidus ‘solid.’

Saw + der

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

If you are in the US or Canada you pronounce it as Saw-der, but if you live in the England or Australia you will probably pronounce it as Sold-er...

The U.K. / Standard English pronunciation rhymes with "colder" (as in 'a greater degree of cold')

To the English ear the American pronunciation of solder rhymes with the American pronunciation of "fodder".

The written term "saw-der", to the English eye, reads like it ryhmes with "boarder" (as you would imagine an Englishman speaking that word).

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

sodder

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I'm from Trinidad so nothing is right here

"soder"

"sodering"

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "solder"

Laptop - Asus TUF FX504GM

i7 8750H | 24GB DDR4 | GTX 1060 6GB | 128GB NVMe SSD | 1TB HDD

Peripherals

Logitech G102 Prodigy | Nubwo N12

soul der

dont know why eveyone says sawder there is no w in it

The correct pronunciation is "sawder."

Source

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Sodder

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I was taught by my electronics teacher in school that it's soulder. Sawder/sodder sounds daft to me. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Google says sädər.

So saw-der.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650