GTX 970 Owners Club

7 hours ago, Vellinious said:

This is what im now seeing had to take the card out in order to see my screen. did my card now get bricked ?

some 1 said ive never seen a 970 Get bricked . i did exactly what thee tutorial said. im hoping there is a way to get it back. tho it is getting into windows but no screen.

only thing i see is this.

Untitled.jpg

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

EDIT: it works ,but now heres thing thing it's GTX 970 NOT RECOGNIZED in Windows so i searched the net and they recommend re-installing windows. As it worked for them ,so im going to do that. Also HDMI does not work tho (DVI -) WORKS not (DVI+) Connector im hoping i can revert this back to normal .So now i know the gpu does work not recognized in windows blarr what a hoo harr tho im more than willing to get this done .If i can get to be recognized in windows i should be able to get it back all tho .ill wait 30mins unless you guys can say what to do b4 re-installing windows or even get the old BIOS back in (i did save it) !

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I'd need a 240mm rad to see similar clocks since my 970 puts out so much damn heat and is a voltage whore (it also goes to 112% power usage when playing an game that puts it close to 100% load and its overclocked to 1500MHz).

I'm running an EK PE 360mm & a Alphacool XT45 240mm radiators in mine.
It's my 4960k that runs hotter that my gpu does. Running 4.5Ghz at 1.140v. That goes 24/7

GPU normally gets around 50c & CPU can get up between 55-60c, depending on what I'm doing

GTX 970 is now RECOGNIZED ,im happy but have not tested anything out as im just installing the stuff i need ,will update. Im not giving up on this. Progress Will be done.

11 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

My G1 970 was hitting 81*c with 1.3v but didnt scale at all.

1525/1935 on stock+.87mv with 71*c max,..., AND 1.275/1.3 makes no change to high clock stability :(

Back to stock for me, not that I mind, good performance and low temps.

/Lucky enough to not get any whine (cept those thousandFPS scenarios)

Happy to do any comparisons if people want.

Lower the voltage and see if you can't get it to clock higher.  Those temps are kinda high for the card to be boosting very high.  Remember...the cooler you keep Maxwell, the higher it'll boost.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

GPU seems to be back to normal (original bios i think need a way to see what the bios is doing .) yet to test with games tho as Windows 10 see's it in Device manager and MSI also BIOS. yet to test HDMI port ,Now does an 1 know how to unlock /code core voltage control in MSI ive ticked it and still see only core voltage +87

Also why would thee BIOS do this to my gpu when it's thee correct Bios ,the bios is from this thread 1.3v GTX 970 Windforce g1,3rd from the list Colored in Red. i followed the tutorial in doing this.

So i need to start over from the start and get it done right 1st go.

(p.s. have to sleep now for work tomorrow but have an hr in the morning to do things b4 work then i got the weekend to myself.)

Will test HDMI then.

Kind Regards guys i do appreciate the time and effort put in helping . :)

On 5/5/2016 at 10:13 PM, Vellinious said:

Lower the voltage and see if you can't get it to clock higher.  Those temps are kinda high for the card to be boosting very high.  Remember...the cooler you keep Maxwell, the higher it'll boost.

Doing 1.525ghz with 0.60mv+ instead of 0.87+, and can see 1.380ghz/1.512ghz with 0.0mv+/0.25mv+

Can do 1.540ghz with 0.87+

Temps are good, the 71*c as stated before was in summer, now winter, doing 66*c, now 63-66*c with higher fan speeds set.

This is my 2nd G1, my first didnt OC Vram AT ALL, so I'm very happy with my current 3875mhz memory clock this one gives me.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

well im selling my 970 to get a 1070, so i guess im going to be leaving soon :/ i werent here a whole lot but thanks for all the help and im not leaving untill someone actiually buys my 970 :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 5/5/2016 at 8:02 AM, loony979 said:

GPU seems to be back to normal (original bios i think need a way to see what the bios is doing .) yet to test with games tho as Windows 10 see's it in Device manager and MSI also BIOS. yet to test HDMI port ,Now does an 1 know how to unlock /code core voltage control in MSI ive ticked it and still see only core voltage +87

Also why would thee BIOS do this to my gpu when it's thee correct Bios ,the bios is from this thread 1.3v GTX 970 Windforce g1,3rd from the list Colored in Red. i followed the tutorial in doing this.

So i need to start over from the start and get it done right 1st go.

(p.s. have to sleep now for work tomorrow but have an hr in the morning to do things b4 work then i got the weekend to myself.)

Will test HDMI then.

Kind Regards guys i do appreciate the time and effort put in helping . :)

Always, ALWAYS use a copy of your own bios file and modify the settings to what you want.  If you're not comfortable doing that, find someone that knows what they're doing, tell them what you're shooting for, and have them do it for you.  But never just download a random bios and flash to it expecting it to work.  These cards can come with 3 different kinds of memory.....that in and of itself would be enough to cause you problems.

If you want help modding your bios, I'll help you....send me your stock bios version, I'll modify it so it'll run 1.3v (though monitoring software on Maxwell will only report 1.275v max).  That way, you can compare your stock bios, with the modded bios I made for you.

OR...look at the 970 FTW bios that I was running, and compare for yourself.  I was only running 1.275v on my cards, because anything more made no difference.  Here's that bios:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6zqzZ0qTCB5Z1ByZllqSUxjb2s

6 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Doing 1.525ghz with 0.60mv+ instead of 0.87+, and can see 1.380ghz/1.512ghz with 0.0mv+/0.25mv+

Can do 1.540ghz with 0.87+

Temps are good, the 71*c as stated before was in summer, now winter, doing 66*c, now 63-66*c with higher fan speeds set.

This is my 2nd G1, my first didnt OC Vram AT ALL, so I'm very happy with my current 3875mhz memory clock this one gives me.

Are you using GPUz to read your clocks / voltages?  Need to be paying attention to the perf cap reason as well.  On air, the Maxwell architecture is a finicky piece of work.  Get some GPUz sensors tab screenshots up and let's see what it's doing, eh?

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

7 hours ago, Vellinious said:

Just seen a very well done tutorial a few days ago here are my results on 1.318v not going to push it anymore than this .

Temps are low very low . it's what i wanted to do up the voltage then play with OCing and the results speak for it self.

i was only getting:

Core Clock +150

Memory Clock +200 if im lucky.

Now i get

Core Clock +179

Memory Clock +606

And still testing OC's .

Untitled.jpg

On 5/3/2016 at 0:18 AM, arniks8 said:

kek, 980 and 980Ti has more cores, not to mention 6Gb of vram on 980Ti.

yes I am aware of that but I am speaking of clock speed oh and btw screw those i'm jumping onto 1070 WAAAYYY better performance, 8gb of vram and I could actually sell my current 970 and my old 750ti and MAKE money jesus how I have never said that

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

On 5/8/2016 at 3:08 AM, loony979 said:

Just seen a very well done tutorial a few days ago here are my results on 1.318v not going to push it anymore than this .

Temps are low very low . it's what i wanted to do up the voltage then play with OCing and the results speak for it self.

i was only getting:

Core Clock +150

Memory Clock +200 if im lucky.

Now i get

Core Clock +179

Memory Clock +606

And still testing OC's .

Untitled.jpg

Holy cow, dat voltage!

Water or air? Just out of curiosity.

Actually, speaking of your previous overclocks, and specifically your memory. We all go on about the core clocks, and the discrepancy between different samples, but the memory is something a lot of people have neglected.

I have a G1 970 as well, and I ended up with Elpida memory as well, which apparently people find... amusing. Fun fact, my core is nothing to write home about, on the max +25mV allowed by the stock bios, I get a rock stable +140 on the core(1544mhz boost). Not bad, but not hugely amazing. On the other hand my memory on its own has a max of +775(therefore an effective speed of 8,560mhz!).

I'm testing different biased Overclocks Core>Mem/Mem<Core, and the last stable memory biased overclock I was on was +110 core (1514mhz boost) and +710mhz on the memory (8430mhz effective), which resulted in a gain of about 13% on most synthetic benchmarks, and most of that was the memory. So memory can really make or break your scores, as opposed to the consensus once upon a time of "minimal gains from memory".

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

4 hours ago, LooneyJuice said:

My system is water cooled ,with all EK stuff .P.S. My 1st ever water cooled system i was lucky to take my time in doing it properly ,and it payed of with no water leaks. 

I have.

240mm thick rad(XE-240)

and a 480mm slim rad (SE-480)

Exact Voltage is also unknown tho i did set it as 1.318v.(could use a multi reader but no point.

Im not a srs overclocker .

My temps thus far have not even reached 40oC that ive seen. (Correction in Heaven it reads near 50oCon a long run of testing). tho exact temps are not known.

I have a censor probe in my water loop That touches my water in the loop.) from bits power(matches my loop nicely Most people would not notice it unless they use bitspower or on the know how with water cooling. It reads on my fan controller .

Never seen it go past 40oC unless i turn all the fans completely of (not recommended tho i tested it to see with games running ,it got to 52oC)

With fans tuned on (all the time) that was just a test .with fans on and the pc is on idle over night then in the morning it reads around 20oC. but the temps here in Sydney Aus are getting to winter temps ,it's getting cold now. Im not pushing my system any further in voltages than this as i do not want to kill my gpu i just bought it 2 months ago. I will be getting a 1070. then water cool it. later on down the track. tho will wait to see what reviews say about the difference in 1070-1080 1st. Tho most likely the 1070.

2 hours ago, loony979 said:

Ah, gotcha, bit of effort gone into it. The voltage still scares me more than a slightly irritated and cryptic girlfriend, but the temps are in control I guess and EK waterblocks generally do tend to keep VRM temps under control as well. Good job on that OC.

I'm actually just up against the +25mV (1.250v) bios hard cap, which I can live with, but in my case it responded really well. I'm now sitting at:

+120 core offset (1525mhz Boost)

+675 memory ( 8360mhz effective)

Which produces the exact same numbers in Heaven/Valley as my previous 1514 (+110)/8430(+710) overclock (~12.5% bump), but taxing the memory less and allowing me to bump the core up more for piece of mind. To this day though, it boggles my mind how on these figures, these things are essentially slightly overclocked reference 980s for all intents and purposes. This isn't even an Xtreme Gaming one for crying out loud. And Reference 980s are still in the 500 buck region where I am. A clear ~120 over the G1. And since I'm still on 1080p, I'm in no hurry.

Regarding the 1070, I have no allegiance, hence I'd go for whatever is mid-range and up and has the best price/performance as usual. But if the 1070 has the upper hand in that region, for sure, it's usually the case that anything over that usually has diminishing returns in terms of price/performance.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

9 hours ago, LooneyJuice said:

Ah, gotcha, bit of effort gone into it. The voltage still scares me more than a slightly irritated and cryptic girlfriend, but the temps are in control I guess and EK waterblocks generally do tend to keep VRM temps under control as well. Good job on that OC.

Concidering the voltage thing, there is generally no need to be scared, chips don't die quickly. I'm also running my CPU at around 1.4V (1.387V according to my motherboard but this model is known for having too low voltage readings so it may be anywhere up untill 1.5V). The chip is a 3770k (so the i7 version) and it's also running at 4.8GHz (actually had it at 4.9-5 but with summer coming up that's gonna be too hot). I also had my 970 running on 1.275V (according to my sensors, I set it to 1.35 but it probably stayed at 1.275), the same with my 980 ti and my 780 is running at 1.212V (max you can set on these cards without hard mod). Did I also mention that I have everything running on air and nothing on water with my temperatures still being in check :P

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

9 hours ago, tomaatvk said:

Concidering the voltage thing, there is generally no need to be scared, chips don't die quickly. I'm also running my CPU at around 1.4V (1.387V according to my motherboard but this model is known for having too low voltage readings so it may be anywhere up untill 1.5V). The chip is a 3770k (so the i7 version) and it's also running at 4.8GHz (actually had it at 4.9-5 but with summer coming up that's gonna be too hot). I also had my 970 running on 1.275V (according to my sensors, I set it to 1.35 but it probably stayed at 1.275), the same with my 980 ti and my 780 is running at 1.212V (max you can set on these cards without hard mod). Did I also mention that I have everything running on air and nothing on water with my temperatures still being in check :P

Yeah I know, friend of mine has been running a similar offset on a 2600k @4.6 I believe since the release, and it's still pumping. And also, good air cooling can be exceptional as well, no shame in it. I keep my gpu in the high 50s/low 60s in most gaming scenarios, and my CPU in the high 40s (3570k @ 4.2) all on air. It's just that I know there's some degradation over time (marginal, I know, and generally speaking, for the voltages I usually operate at, if something cracks, there was usually a manufacturing flaw to begin with), and I'm familiar with the science behind it, so even if the product still outlasts its usefulness, it still makes me feel a bit uneasy :P

Not to mention this is my only piece of proper hardware for the immediate future, so even if I consciously know that these electronics are way more efficient and resilient than they ever were, and the stock voltage limits are pretty damn conservative, I'm still being a big girl's blouse lol. On the other hand, I really can't help just finding the limit and having a "max OC profile" for when the need arises. The tinkering is enjoyment on its own. I got my 970, I pushed both my Core and Memory to artifacting and back until it could run for ever, and that's me satisfied. 64.8 and 1633 points on Heaven extreme preset w/ 8xAA made me a happy bunny.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

my 290 burns a hole threw space and time! 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

So undecided on whether to keep my 970s and wait for the GP100, or sell and buy 1070s when they launch.

Need reviews and benchmarks first.

Linus is my fetish.

• 4 weeks later...

hi,

i wanted to try out the 1.212v bios in the first post for my 970 g1 (hynix) but, the download links seem broken :(

were they taken down on purpose?

I'm having more and more driver crashes with my 970 G1 that I haven't had before. I started by turning down my overclock from around 1600mhz and about 20mv to my first and usually extremely stable 1580 mhz stock voltage. Even that crashed so I went to stock speeds and still get crashes. What's up with that? It's making me wanna drop this card for something else... 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

22 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

I'm having more and more driver crashes with my 970 G1 that I haven't had before. I started by turning down my overclock from around 1600mhz and about 20mv to my first and usually extremely stable 1580 mhz stock voltage. Even that crashed so I went to stock speeds and still get crashes. What's up with that? It's making me wanna drop this card for something else... 

ok 1st thing i will recommend to do is this Download (Display Driver Uninstall) and extract the files to desktop or to a folder you choose ,then run the program it will ask you to run it in safe mode (this is windows safe mode) do that ,then select recommended mode this will be on the top to select . Then re-install a driver .

@ the moment for me im running 168.22 and so far i have not had any issues with it . Do get back to us on how things went .If you do still end up with the same issues .Then posting Full specs on the PC you are running will help us all in helping you out. Best of luck get back to us .

5 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

use the 359.06 drivers, they work the best for me with my G1

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 hours ago, loony979 said:

ok 1st thing i will recommend to do is this Download (Display Driver Uninstall) and extract the files to desktop or to a folder you choose ,then run the program it will ask you to run it in safe mode (this is windows safe mode) do that ,then select recommended mode this will be on the top to select . Then re-install a driver .

@ the moment for me im running 168.22 and so far i have not had any issues with it . Do get back to us on how things went .If you do still end up with the same issues .Then posting Full specs on the PC you are running will help us all in helping you out. Best of luck get back to us .

Ok thanks I just did that and am reinstalling the drivers (as of today 368.39). Hopefully that works well. Thanks. I'll let you know how that goes.

I don't know much about drivers but does using the Geforce Experience Beta version have anything to do with my card's stability? I assume it wouldn't since it's just for updates and extra Nvidia features right? What about beta drivers? I was on 168.22 before.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Just gonna put this here

AMD RX 480/R9 390 MASTER RACE

*massive AMD hate inbound*

Unfortunately I just had a crash while playing Alice The Madness Returns for only about 20 minutes ?