GTX 970 Owners Club

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i think i need to have a custom BIOS to join here, guess im out because im keeping stock because i dont want to break my 970 :P 

I've yet to see anyone break a 9xx card by bios flashing it, it's just like installing an update to a regular program. Also from the first page it sounds like there are no conditions on joining other than having a 970 to begin with.

I flashed my 970s because dealing with the pwr caps and other limits was nothing but an annoyance.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

2 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

I've yet to see anyone break a 9xx card by bios flashing it, it's just like installing an update to a regular program. Also from the first page it sounds like there are no conditions on joining other than having a 970 to begin with.

I flashed my 970s because dealing with the pwr caps and other limits was nothing but an annoyance.

I did once have a bad flash, but it was clear before rebooting that it was a bad flash so I just redid it and it went perfectly

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

1 minute ago, Benji_w said:

first page sounded to me like i would need a flashed 970 to join because thats almost everything on there xD guess il follow for now and post my OC when i know for real :P might end up flashing it anyway, getting artifacting with not that much of an overclock and maby flashing will let me fix that or something lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Flashing a Maxwell GPU is super easy.  Seriously, you'd have to be drooling on your keyboard kind dumb to screw it up.....

That said...you don't need to have a custom bios to be a member of this group.  lol

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

Flashing a Maxwell GPU is super easy.  Seriously, you'd have to be drooling on your keyboard kind dumb to screw it up.....

That said...you don't need to have a custom bios to be a member of this group.  lol

sooo i can join without flashing my 970?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

" for owners to just hang out and chat about their overclocking adventures and other things. "

Yeah, pretty sure you're good.  = )  Not everyone here has flashed their bios.

I don't even own a 970 any more, and nobody has come around to take my birthday away....

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I did with my GTX 970 G1 Gaming (Still amazed the blasted thing can just hit 1501MHz, although it hits its power limit in doing so), sooo yes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Ok so now that i think i can be here because i have a 970(i have the G1 from gigabyte), here is my overclock right now, tell me how good it is and if i could to better if i flashed it:OC_gpu.jpg

also here is my heaven benchmark score, with this OC:

Unigine_Heaven_Benchmark_4.0_20160502_2311.html

core: 1634Mhz

memory: 3605Mhz

i LOVE overclocking and i tinker with it almost every day but it dosent seem to go any higher then this without throwing me artifacs and that really anoys me because one of my friends is running over +200 core on his MSI 970 :/ 

Builds:

Spoiler

What are the clocks....nobody cares what the offset is.  Clock speeds, please.

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ok so now that i think i can be here because i have a 970(i have the G1 from gigabyte), here is my overclock right now, tell me how good it is and if i could to better if i flashed it:

Unigine_Heaven_Benchmark_4.0_20160502_2311.html

i LOVE overclocking and i tinker with it almost every day but it dosent seem to go any higher then this without throwing me artifacs and that really anoys me because one of my friends is running over +200 core on his MSI 970 :/ 

valley-3113.PNG

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

1 minute ago, Vellinious said:

oh right forgot those lol, il edit right now xD

Builds:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

updated, sorry about that :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

thats way better then my score, what clocks are you running for that? 

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats way better then my score, what clocks are you running for that? 

1600mhz+ on the core and 8000mhz+ on the memory. My ASIC is 87%.

ASIC.png

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

1 minute ago, Benji_w said:

1600mhz+ on the core and 8000mhz+ on the memory. My ASIC is 87%.

ASIC.png

i just looked at mine, its 67.2%, thats way worse :/ that 8000Mhz memory clock is insaine tho xD 

Builds:

Spoiler

At those clock speeds, you'll want to have GPUz sensors tab open.  Watch the perf cap reason line.  Run it open the next time you run Heaven or Firestrike.  If you see green, you'll understand why most of us flash to a custom bios.  If you don't....you're very lucky.  = )

Also, CPU clock speed plays a HUGE role in the Valley score.  It's really kind of a crap benchmark because of it.

8 hours ago, Vellinious said:

At those clock speeds, you'll want to have GPUz sensors tab open.  Watch the perf cap reason line.  Run it open the next time you run Heaven or Firestrike.  If you see green, you'll understand why most of us flash to a custom bios.  If you don't....you're very lucky.  = )

Also, CPU clock speed plays a HUGE role in the Valley score.  It's really kind of a crap benchmark because of it.

well im running my 4690K at 4.7Ghz lol i guess thats a huge part, also what would be a better benchmark then? i have furmark too, is that any better?

Builds:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, tomaatvk said:

I started on a 650 ti boost with a 1080x1920 display.

After that I upgraded to a 970 because it couldn't run high settings anymore.

After that I went to a 980 ti because I ran into problems with GTA V on max settings with a 1.5 scaling factor (so it's like running at 1440p).

When my 980 ti wasn't getting any workout from gaming I purchased a 1440p ultrawide to go along with the 1080x1920 and 768x1024 displays I already had.

However, with pascal coming up and not gaming that much anymore I went back down to a 780 on those 3 displays.

Atm I'm getting max or high settings on most games with my 1440p ultrawide with those 2 other screens on the side.

A 970 will be able to drive 3x1080x1920p at high settings in most games. Probably not max and not in all games high. If you can bear that for the little gaming you do, don't upgrade and just wait. You don't need it. If that does annoy you, get the 1070 or whatever it's called.

I can live with what I have now because it's giving me slightly higher settings than the 650 ti boost that I had gotten used to back in the days while running way more pixels.

When the 1080 or something has its benchmark numbers in and it's known how well they overclock and perform (or maybe the same for polaris) I might jump to that but I'm not sure about that yet.

thanks for the info, it really hels me, with actually both polaris and pascal on the (event) horizon I guess it's better to wait for me since like I said I'm not running into trouble yet and the extra screens can also wait if needed.

on the side of graphics I'm not to worried actually, since it's gameplay before looks for me.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

You know what  ? you only live once i say so stuff it im Flashing my card 1st ever time im going to do this. it's water cooled cpu as well single loop.

I need performance and lets face it ive been sick to death of the limits that nVidia do with there cards ,wish they would make K series chips or something along the lines.

So my question is ive just watched the tutorial ,what else do i need to know !

Also with that said bios Editing how easy is it and can that editor come with it's own limits so i know for Fact that i can not break my card. ?

Asic Quality = 71.6% also what does that mean >?

So 3 questions guys and thank you for all the help thus far.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

43 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

thanks for the info, it really hels me, with actually both polaris and pascal on the (event) horizon I guess it's better to wait for me since like I said I'm not running into trouble yet and the extra screens can also wait if needed.

on the side of graphics I'm not to worried actually, since it's gameplay before looks for me.

Let's hope they're not on the event horizon because if so we'll have to wait forever :P

36 minutes ago, loony979 said:

You know what  ? you only live once i say so stuff it im Flashing my card 1st ever time im going to do this. it's water cooled cpu as well single loop.

I need performance and lets face it ive been sick to death of the limits that nVidia do with there cards ,wish they would make K series chips or something along the lines.

So my question is ive just watched the tutorial ,what else do i need to know !

Also with that said bios Editing how easy is it and can that editor come with it's own limits so i know for Fact that i can not break my card. ?

Asic Quality = 71.6% also what does that mean >?

So 3 questions guys and thank you for all the help thus far.

The reason that they put these limits on their card is purely out of safety. It has nothing to do with limiting overclocking. If you increase the power limit to 200% of what it originally is with a 1.3V overvolt the mosfets may start to wear out faster than people expect them to resulting in a bad name for the GPU manufacturer. They basicly already are K series as you can just overclock them.

What else you need to know? Make sure you get the right BIOS. Back up your original one. Make a copy of the original one and just edit that one if possible. When you flash the GPU make sure that it said that the flash was succesfull in the BIOS flashing tool before you reboot your computer. When you want custom BIOS settings it all comes down to experimentation. Just do everything in small steps. Don't increase the clocks from the BIOS too quickly, don't increase the voltages from the BIOS too quickly, just take small steps.

The BIOS tweaking software doesn't come with any limits. As I said before, just experiment with small steps and if you don't know what to do, just upload your BIOS to this thread and we can help with stuff.

That ASIC quality indicates how well it will overclock under normal cooling and under more extreme cooling. A lower percentage means that it's more temperature limited (lower temperature=higher OC) and a higher percentage means that it's mostly the power draw limiting the overclock (a lot of power is required for a higher overclock). 71,6% is sorta in the middle and with you already having watercooling it should overclock pretty damn decent with more power added to it.

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

Ok - so to start of do what thee tutorial does ,and how to back up BIOS that is 1st thing. ? is it still the same as jayztwocents i don't think it would be.

Back up BIOS is 1st thing for me. & i can still use MSI to do my overclocking right >? that part should be the same of course the ability to increase the voltage.

Also the safe voltage not to go over would be ? 1.3v is this right ?

Sorry for the noobish like help im asking due to making sure i don't Muck up. For me i better play it safe when doing this then just click away ,and go ummm i think it's dead..

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.310V | P-Core 5.7GHZ | E-Core 3.2GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

25 minutes ago, loony979 said:

Ok - so to start of do what thee tutorial does ,and how to back up BIOS that is 1st thing. ? is it still the same as jayztwocents i don't think it would be.

Back up BIOS is 1st thing for me. & i can still use MSI to do my overclocking right >? that part should be the same of course the ability to increase the voltage.

Also the safe voltage not to go over would be ? 1.3v is this right ?

Sorry for the noobish like help im asking due to making sure i don't Muck up. For me i better play it safe when doing this then just click away ,and go ummm i think it's dead..

You should always back up your BIOS first and do that through GPU-Z. After that you have to get your new BIOS. Either by downloading one for your specific card (for the exact card you have) or to edit a copy of your original BIOS. Under watercooling I wouldn't go above 1.35V but I always go a little extreme on the voltages because I'll be swapping out cards every half year at least so if I were you I'd stick to 1.3V. However, you should mostly work on your power limit I think. Go into the power table tab in maxwellBIOStweaker and pretty much any value between the 200000 and 300000 (don't edit the values below 200000) has to be raised to roughly 400000-500000 (I would just put every one of them to 500000). This won't break your card, but it will make your card run a lot hotter because it will use more power. After that you should flash it. Always disable the GPU before flashing it through devicemanager. After that, flash the GPU the way you should with the BIOS flashing program you have. Make sure that it said that it was succesful, if not flash again, if it was, reboot your computer, enable the GPU, do another reboot and then you should be good to go.

ok i made a Folder on desktop placed a copy of my BIOS there.

To edit my existing or get the new bios .I have Windforce g1 970 4gb card.

1.300v version http://bit.ly/1LH89RY What is easier to do ?

11 hours ago, Vellinious said:

i dont see any green, only orange and blue meaning suposedly its the voltage aparently

Builds:

Spoiler

ok so i did the tutorial down to a tee ,went back into windows and here i am What's next i guess it worked ? (P.S.) THAT'S A LOUD BEEP it makes when it asks you lol.

What's next (i did watch jayztwocents vid on BIOS flashing. but he mentions a little bit of coding to do for MSI .

Also my MSI is still saying the same stuff:

Pic

Untitled.jpg