Google investment partner thinks we’ll all live to 500

Medical technology is advancing so fast, that a partner in Google’s investment department believes that as long as we can live for another 20-30 years, we’ll be able to make it to the ripe old age of 500 without too much difficulty. His reasoning? The ultra fast development of new medical technology, some of which he believes, will make current techniques and procedures look rudimentary within just a few years.

“If you ask me today, is it possible to live to be 500? The answer is yes,”

said the venture capitalist and Google investor, Bill Marris, who is sitting on a near half billion dollar fund that he’s looking to invest on behalf of Google’s venture capital branch. 

Although Google has a vested interest in healthcare and brought Maris on to help spearhead development in that area of science, his interest goes far further than that. He’s a trained neuroscientist with experience working in a biomedical lab at Duke University and he thinks that the next 20 years are going to see us break through into whole new regions of medicine that will reshape the world entirely.

Twenty years ago, without genomics, you could only treat cancer with a poison,That’s really different from, We can cure your cancer by reverse-engineering a stem cell. You can now legitimately invest in a company that could cure cancer,

billmaris.jpg

Considering this guy is 40 years old, he must be doing something right

Indeed Google has investments in nearly 300 startups and will put another $425 million into new and existing partners this year alone, making it one of the biggest investment firms in the world. As has been pointed out though, it’s not doing it for the money, but for an insight into where the world of bio-mechanical technology is going. Maris believes that we’re moving towards a world of nanobots and customised medicine, whereby treatment is personalised to you as the patient, rather than the catchall prescription approach we use today.

Google wants to do more than just fund this development though, it wants to help the startups of today and tomorrow develop their products. In its partnership with some fitness application companies, Google helps streamline the technology and make it more user friendly, which in turn helps improve uptake and the amount of time people stick with the software.

The plan for now is to keep pushing the boundaries of what Google and its partners can achieve. And of course, last long enough to see it.

“We actually have the tools in the life sciences to achieve anything that you have the audacity to envision, I just hope to live long enough not to die.”

scientist_2928972c.jpg

if google hypothetically had a way to do this and in the process needs to know everything about you there is and ever will be to live for 500 years, will you be taking the offer ?

Source : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/11460343/Google-thinks-well-live-to-be-500-years-old.html

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'm glad I'm young so I might get to experience this.

I'm glad I'm younger than you, so my chances are even greater (:

I think that this is interesting, but if we manage to develop medical technology to this degree, the majority of deaths in the world would be suicides.

Sig under construction.

Terrible idea...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

So I could be 55 for 500 years? Uh, I'll take my chances with the worms.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

if my parents could live to 500, then yes.

but only me, no.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

CC_033_animestocks-com--2-.jpg

Will we also have green hair and stupid names? Because I don't want green hair or a stupid name. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I don't want to live for 500 years, heck not even for 100.

Good for you.

If they can make me live 500 years without me turning into a wrinkled vegetable, then i don't see why not.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Will we also have green hair and stupid names? Because I don't want green hair or a stupid name. 

why do you think humans will turn into anime in 500 years ? /s

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Sounds like a great idea but I'd miss my parents way too much.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

I'm glad I'm younger than you, so my chances are even greater (:

I think that this is interesting, but if we manage to develop medical technology to this degree, the majority of deaths in the world would be suicides.

There would be great overpopulation.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

Because Anastasiya Shpagina

A.Shpagina.JPG

because that's what i needed to see today 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

if my parents could live to 500, then yes.

but only me, no.

You are going to grow up one day and lose those closest to you no matter what. It's about enjoying the here and the now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pzKFqs

Undecided on GPU

I hope he's right.

I want immortality damnit.

You are going to grow up one day and lose those closest to you no matter what. It's about enjoying the here and the now.

Don't care, want my space ship and my lightsaber.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Living for 500 years?

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

well i guess id do it. i mean its not like i have something to hide so i dont really care let them gather my f*pping habits if it helps them to cure me from my probable future loung cancer im fine with it also its not like youre forced to go till 500 you can always quite like a coward

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

The real question with medical advances is how to handle overpopulation.

Unless we'll start getting resources from space and starting expanding humanity beyond earth I see this getting a huge problem as we simply won't be able to handle 2-4x the amount of people which would come from this.

One solution would be to make it expensive but at that point the rich would live for centuries while the poor die off.(Kind of reminds me of the movie In Time)

And how do we handle the psychological side of this ?

Do we make dying centers where people that don't want to live anymore can kill them selves because I don't think many people will handle a life that long and you also don't want all the people to kill them selves.

RTX2070OC 

elite dangerous can give Google valuable ideas

Like, can I please hope in an asp and travel 160+ ly away irl and never worry about there being enough space? Overpopulation is a very valid arguement here.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

I hope he's right.

I want immortality damnit.

Immortality is a cruel, cruel mistress.

When humanity is gone, the world in rubble, you will look up at the Sun, a ticking time bomb that will only worsen your suffering, not cease it.

However living to 500 sounds p cool. The true sense of immortality in this world doesn't.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Immortality is a cruel, cruel mistress.

When humanity is gone, the world in rubble, you will look up at the Sun, a ticking time bomb that will only worsen your suffering, not cease it.

However living to 500 sounds p cool. The true sense of immortality in this world doesn't.

I'd be fine with it. The idea of being one of the few or last humans on the planet is actually kind of interesting.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

There would be great overpopulation.

Good, then we can finally move off-planet. 

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

From let's say 70 average all the way to 500 ?

Unless we make the healing table from elyssium I call : Bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE