Nearly A Third Of Canadian Netflix Users Pretend To Be American

netflix-devices.jpg?w=1224

Is this entirely shocking? If the studios weren't such hacks and were willing to give Netflix the rights to show more content in areas outside of the USA, I wouldn't NEED to use a VPN to pretend that I'm an American just to watch content that I pay for. 

Not only content that I pay for, but I pay the same amount as Americans and get far less content in return. Till that stops, I won't. I know a lot of people who won't. 

Despite sharing a common language and much of the same popular culture, and one of the longest continuous international borders in the world, Canada and the U.S. enjoy relatively disparate privileges when it comes to streaming digital content. Nation gates are ubiquitous, especially when it comes to broadcast content that is later brought to online services – we still don’t even have access to Hulu, for instance.

In fact, the lure of U.S. content libraries was strong among those who self-identified as Netflix users in the survey: 40 percent said they were spoofing their IP to access other, non-Netflix U.S. media content online.

Let’s be honest here: Canadians often do get the short end of the stick when it comes to these services, and there’s a bustling business in helping them pretend to be just a few hundred miles south of where they actually reside in order to see a show they otherwise wouldn’t be able to catch.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/18/nearly-a-third-of-canadian-netflix-users-pretend-to-be-american/?ncid=rss&cps=gravity_1730_696823076968916719

I'm too lazy to do it. I just deal with Canadian Netflix.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

This^ I want to be an Murican in the next life :P

Oh hell no!

Just use a vpn. :D

who cares...

Because netflix outside the US sucks specially in Europe where I'm located so yeah that's why we use things to pretend to be in Murica.

Yeah I have to agree, here in europe its been pretty a lack luster trial.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Oh hell no!

Just use a vpn. :D

Lol

Yeah i guess i could do that, but i cant stand english subtitles :( i understand it very well, but it bothers me. need to focus on two things. subtitles aswell as the movie.Norwegian subs please :)

Lol

Yeah i guess i could do that, but i cant stand english subtitles :( i understand it very well, but it bothers me. need to focus on two things. subtitles aswell as the movie.Norwegian subs please :)

Or no subs at all. Your english will improve fast enough and you'll eventually understand stuf very well without subtitles.

who cares...

We can't get 50% of the shows available to the US in Australia, even with a paid subscription. (not even latest episodes of top gear uk wtf)

So yeah, in my family (except me *ahem* i pirate *ahem*) we use a custom DNS to "fool" the server into thinking we're in america.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

I couldn't be bothered to pretend so i just switched to Popcorn Time. Works better than Netflix. Better usability and video quality on the mobile app as well.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Well can you blame them? "If you cross this arbitrary line we don't even guard or clearly define at most of the border then you're not entitled to enjoy the same things, because fuck you that's why"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Netflix sucks outside of the USA. Period.

This, I even bought a month subscription for a VPN service so I could connect via an american server to watch Parks and Recreation. But then I discovered the glorious site called primewire.ag and I was happy without having to pay 20€ a month for a VPN service and Netflix :D

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

There's always primewire as well.

I know some content providers want to keep things view-able in only certain countries, but surely that hurts them & their publicity for their content in the end?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'd still really like to hear the excuse that executives give for shit like this.

IT COSTS YOU NOTHING TO ALLOW ACCESS TO DIGITAL MEDIA ONLINE.

Seriously, the older generation needs to start dying off or retiring and allowing us "youngins" to take over and start fixing some of these retarded problems. No offense to our older members, I'm referring to the morons you went to HS with

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I thought part of this was one of the consoles defaults to US netflix

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I mean, I'm in Aus.. I bet 100% of us pretend to be American for netflix

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

i would pretend to if i could do it in safe way:/ they don't accept eu cards/paypal :(

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Yeah, in Australia streaming services are only just coming up, but they're pretty sheit. Sad thing is Hotspot Shield is detected now

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Yeah, in Australia streaming services are only just coming up, but they're pretty sheit. Sad thing is Hotspot Shield is detected now

Really? Hotspot shield works for me. I Live in Canada and can use it to get US netflix.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I use the Canadian Netflix when the movie I want to watch is on there, but switch to the American Netflix when it's not. It's faster when not using a VPN and is easy to switch if I'm watching it on my PC.

I wonder if I could say 100% of Australian Netflix users pretend to be American.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I wonder if I could say 100% of Australian Netflix users pretend to be American.

I know I do. Technically your are correct till it get released sometime this half.

Who wouldn't? We're awesome. B)

(Netflix is shtako, especially outside of the US)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |