Scrapyard Wars Episode 1b

Luke got a 290. He's so winning

Luke is love. Luke is life.

Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX | Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z270i | CPU Intel i7-7700K | RAM Team Vulcan 16GB DDR4 | GPU Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | Storage Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 | PSU Corsair RM750x

Luke got a 290. He's so winning

Luke is love. Luke is life.

Again, I bring up the possible issue of bottleneck.

No clue what'll happen there. 

But we'll see what happens. 

I'm in the edge to see this shit built and benchmarked. 

I <3 LGA 775 systems. I have a Q8300 sitting around THAT NEEDS TO BE USED

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

I had e8400 with my 460GTX and it bottlenecked her real hard in games.

A q9xxx series or i3 is the rock bottom minimum for a card like 290 to not be hold back severly.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Nope, Almost everything is blocked. Even finding a benchmark is hard. Our admin is not a nice person..

Time to get a  3G usb stick and use that instead of their internet. Unless blocks are present on the machine itself, well then... Live linux or windows to Go time :)

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

R9 290 for 180$? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

So they're neck-on neck on the CPU and RAM.... but based on the parts, Luke has that boost with dat R9 290

Not necessarily the CPU or RAM. Linus has 8GB and Luke has 4GB. Luke has an E8400 and Linus with the Q6600. In games that take huge advantage of quad cores such as the tomb raider linus will definitely have an edge, but if the E8400 doesn't bottleneck (IF it doesn't, not sure if it will or not) Jesus that R9 290 will demolish. But in Luke's case, his CPU is the limiting factor. 

But I gotta give the LGA 775 platform credit. I had an E5300 play Saints Row The Third at 1080p getting 35fps with a Firepro V3800 while sitting at 70% usage. 

But in newer games, that E8400 isn't going to be anywhere near as relaxed as the Q6600

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Based on 90% TDP

Luke:

UkeviqG.png

Linus:

0Mv7tvl.png

Lukes PSU has 2x18A 12v rails leaving him 5.2amps.

Linus' PSU has 2x17A 12 rails leaving him 9.8amps

Let hope Linus can use some of that extra power for more overclocking headroom to make this a fair fight.

Time to get a  3G usb stick and use that instead of their internet. Unless blocks are present on the machine itself, well then... Live linux or windows to Go time :)

I thought about that, but I don't think my supervisor would appreciate it very much :P

i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz | OC'd XFX R9 290 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | 650W Rosewill PSU | Rosewill Thor White V2 Case | Windows 8.1 | 1440p 144Hz Freesync 27" |1080p 60Hz 24"

Ahhh, loved it :D

Corsair 900D |ASUS  Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | 16 GB Dominator Platinum 1600Mhz | Asus GTX 780 |

Intel 520 Series 180Gb SSD | BeQuiet 860W PSU | GPU, CPU, MOBO watercooled with 2x480 rads, 12 BitFenix Spectre Pro total | Acrylic Tubing from Primochill | Icemodz RGB-LEDs | Aquacomputer pump, flow control and fan/liquid control | 27" Dell U2711

Build-Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88573-the-red-beast-900d-780-liquidcooled-first-build/

Hey Linus and the Crew, great video, I was really anticipating the next episode from last week!!

I think the R9 290 will get bottlenecked from the Core 2 Duo, and the 580 may not with the Q6600, so they may end up with similar performance :P who knows

Project Devils Delight

Mobo:ASUS B85 PRO Gamer  CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k   RAM: 8GB Kingston HYPERX Beast 1600Mhz    GPU PowerColor Devils 13 Dual Core 290X

Case: Corsair Air 540 strips Storage: Samsung 256GB SSD and a 1TB WD Black (2013 Model)                                                                                                       

Not necessarily the CPU or RAM. Linus has 8GB and Luke has 4GB. Luke has an E8400 and Linus with the Q6600. In games that take huge advantage of quad cores such as the tomb raider linus will definitely have an edge, but if the E8400 doesn't bottleneck (IF it doesn't, not sure if it will or not) Jesus that R9 290 will demolish. But in Luke's case, his CPU is the limiting factor. 

But I gotta give the LGA 775 platform credit. I had an E5300 play Saints Row The Third at 1080p getting 35fps with a Firepro V3800 while sitting at 70% usage. 

But in newer games, that E8400 isn't going to be anywhere near as relaxed as the Q6600

Oh yes, Socket 775 was one hell of a generation of CPUs. My main system was running it for at least 7 years (died last year, sadly). and it was running the 2012 remake of NFS:MW on verylow settings at 35-40 fps... and that's with a GeForce 210 and 2 GB of RAM! Also it ran BF3 on low at around 30 fps...

I always thought sandals and white socks are a German tourist's speciality.

Great series Linus & team. Looking forward to the next one!

can't wait until the last episode, this going to be fun.

and linus, stop bragging, i heard luke say "and our 12th set of ram" sarcasticly in the back.

-snip-

Let hope Linus can use some of that extra power for more overclocking headroom to make this a fair fight.

budget wise it's already fair, im actually amazed they got two totally diffrent systems.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

When we have a staff of 50+ with people in producer roles and like a dozen or so on screen talents.

Utter rubbish

You can easily wait until you have edited all the parts before starting the release. Then release them daily or weekly in a timely fashion. What you're doing now is pushing out whatever is completed and totally disjointing the series. I can't even remember the detail from the first part but I remember liking it and wanting to see the next one.

Multipart is fine but is has to be professional and come out together on a set schedule so people can really enjoy them.

The only bad thing about this series is that it will eventualy end.

I really enjoy these!

Make more of them! :D

R9 290 for 180$? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

i've bought 2 of them for €165 each

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

oh man that floppy disk drive lol

prediction: luke will be ahead but LInus will cheat his way into victory

Oh yes, Socket 775 was one hell of a generation of CPUs. My main system was running it for at least 7 years (died last year, sadly). and it was running the 2012 remake of NFS:MW on verylow settings at 35-40 fps... and that's with a GeForce 210 and 2 GB of RAM! Also it ran BF3 on low at around 30 fps...

That CPU was kicking REALLY hard then. That's what I mean here, the abilities these things have for the money will surprise anyone. I bet the typical person using something like a 2500k had to swap to a Q9550 and 2x4GB RAM, he wouldn't notice a difference in terms of frame rates or anything. Games would play as they typically would. 

Sure, in benchmarks, anything above the 775 is jesus. But in reality, the 775 socket (especially wolfdale) is still amazingly powerful enough to do just about anything.  

Luke has an E8400 and Linus with the Q6600. In games that take huge advantage of quad cores such as the tomb raider linus will definitely have an edge, but if the E8400 doesn't bottleneck

My Pentium G3258 maxes out Tomb Raider 2013 at 120FPS.