Cable TV is speeding up its shows slightly to show you more ads

ahhming

The Wall Street Journal reports that many networks are desperately trying to increase the number of commercials you watch per hour, sometimes resorting to subtly speeding up older shows and reruns in an effort to recapture the revenue from tanking ratings.

The  Wall Street Journal also  notes that TBS used compression technology to speed up the Wizard of Oz during its airing last November, causing pop-culture writer Stephen Cox to notice that the munchkins' voices were pitched higher than normal. TBS, TNT, and TV Land have also sped up shows including Seinfeld and Friends.

Speeding up shows isn't the only way networks are trying to fit in ad time. On TNT, reruns of Law and Order have truncated opening credits—once a minute and 45 seconds long, the introduction is now just 24 seconds. “It feels wrong,” Friends co-creator Marta Kauffman told the Journal about the show's “squashed” opening and closing credits. “It is not how it was shot, written, or imagined. It wasn’t meant to be that way, so don’t make it that way."

lucky for me i dont watch tv.

source:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/cable-tv-shows-are-sped-up-to-squeeze-in-more-ads-1424301320

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/02/cable-tv-is-speeding-up-its-shows-slightly-to-show-you-more-ads/

We need adblock for TVs.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

We need adblock for TVs.

But then itll just be blank since its live

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

We need adblock for TVs.

well even without the ads the show will still be speed up www

But then itll just be blank since its live

Show slideshows or videos of cats doing stuff. Better than anything else. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

people arent watching tv because we treat them like shit and show too many ads so we getting less money, lets solve this with more ads

people arent watching tv because we treat them like shit and show too many ads so we getting less money, lets solve this with more ads

Hey, either cable companies get the picture and fix it or they die a slow and agonizing death. I and many others are ditching cable for other options. 

Hey, either cable companies get the picture and fix it or they die a slow and agonizing death. I and many others are ditching cable for other options. 

i really hope they die

it's a good thing I don't watch TV!

but seriously, scumbags.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

I'll take lower quality (720p instead of 1080p) if there are no ads. Thats why I dl my shows and leave my TV as background noise.

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Aaaaaand THIS is the reason why I don't use a TV to watch TV shows. Popcorn time is my friend.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

I'll take lower quality (720p instead of 1080p) if there are no ads. Thats why I dl my shows and leave my TV as background noise.

You want lower quality?

Cable TV: *Shows show in 720p on topleft corner, leaves rest of 1080p screen for various adds.*

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Cheap noobs. They forgot to adjust the pitch compensation for the compressed audio track. I actually used to do this "hack" back in the day, when YouTube had a low limit on video length for regular users, so I could fit a 16~17 minute clip into the 15 min cap, without cutting it out into segments.

Of course, above certain threshold of time compression it becomes rather obvious and silly, but a 5% squeeze would give an extra 3 minutes of ad space in a standard 60 min TV episode.

people complain about ads all the time and then they go sit in front of the TV for hours... watching Ads xD

TV needs to just die. No point in paying for it anymore when there is sooo much advertising. Shows arent as good as they used to be anyway.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'm still not watching the commercials, I'm just going to make a video of myself getting up and leaving the room when the commercials come on, and mail it to them.

I hope they weep

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

wait, so ratings tank, so the solution is to make it worse?

oh, people cant afford taxes, and we are not getting enough money, the solution is clearly more taxes.

The issue I have with to many ads on tv is, Already paying 70$ a month. But then again, theres that massive amount of content that needs to be paid somehow. 

Funny that.  Some years ago there was a bit of controversy over here about how they slowed movies down (so they could add an extra set of commercials in there). 

wait, so ratings tank, so the solution is to make it worse?

oh, people cant afford taxes, and we are not getting enough money, the solution is clearly more taxes.

The issue I have with to many ads on tv is, Already paying 70$ a month. But then again, theres that massive amount of content that needs to be paid somehow. 

^this.

Capitalists have forgotten that you don't increase profits by fucking the customer, you do it by giving them good service and value for their money.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

^this.

Capitalists have forgotten that you don't increase profits by fucking the customer, you do it by giving them good service and value for their money.

exactly. Like I understand we need some ads, otherwise itd cost a ridiclous amount of money to be able to get access to so many channels. 

but Have to find a balance. If it pissses off customers to the point of switching or not watching. thats a shame. the fact that I have a cable sub, yet its easier and more convient to just pirate whatever I want to watch, thats when something is wrong

This is especially devastating to me, because every night, every single person in Philadelphia tunes in and watches Action News (Since 1971). They have the best news theme ever, (In 1997 the tried to change it by spending 20k on a new theme, it lasted 1 week) but as of late the theme keeps getting shorter and shorter

Glorious News Theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSIOzNmg9kI

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

its called netflix.

But my internet is too bad... :/

Spoiler

Spoiler

Wow.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)