Western Digital , HGST expect helium-filled HDDs to get more popular this year

HGST, a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital, first announced its helium-filled hard disk drives in 2013 and started their shipments in 2014. Such drives have a number of advantages compared to traditional HDDs, but they still have not gained popularity because both WD and Seagate produce hard drives with comparable capacity that are not sealed. However, this year a lot may change.

At present HGST offers Ultrastar He hard drives with 6TB and 8TB capacities for applications that require maximum storage density and relatively high performance. Such HDDs compete with HGST’s Ultrastar 6TB hard drives, WD’s Ae 6.3TB HDDs as well as Seagate’s Enterprise Capacity, Enterprise NAS and Archive hard disk products with 5TB – 8TB capacities. While the Ultrastar He products have some advantages compared to rival products, they are still not radically better than competitors, which is a reason of their relatively low popularity.

In the coming months HGST plans to release 10TB UltraStar HelioSeal hard drive that will offer a massive capacity advantage over all existing solutions. The drive is based on seven 1.43TB SMR [shingled magnetic recording] platters and is filed with helium. While Seagate also plans to introduce its 10TB HDD this year (based on six 1.66TB SMR platters), the company will likely do that only in late 2015, which means that the Ultrastar He 10TB will have a significant time-to-market advantage. The release of the 10TB helium-filled drive as well as the ramp of 8TB product will help the drives to gain market share because so far the adoption of such HDDs has been slow.

HGST.jpg

“Helium, as an individual category, particularly as it relates to 6TB drive, probably did not have a material impact [on our business],” said Steve Milligan, chief executive officer and president of Western Digital, during a recent conference call with investors and financial analysts. “We believe that as we transition to the 8TB platform with the helium product, we will begin to see a bit of a larger impact.”

Mike Cordano, the president of HGST, also believes that the use of helium-filled hard drives will increase this year. In an interview withDigiTimes he predicted “a large increase in the use of helium-filled hard disk drives” in data centers
in 2015.

wd_hgst_ultrastar_helium_10tb.jpg

Source : http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/wd_hgst_ultrastar_helium_10tb.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

But but but what's the price?

Inquiry: If I put the helium to absolute zero, will it start flowing everywhere?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

What If I chew on it like I do with flash drives on my desk. WIll it break and let the helium  out!

Aha always a problem.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

What If I chew on it like I do with flash drives on my desk. WIll it break and let the helium  out!

Aha always a problem.

they'll be sealed by the looks of it in metal , although i sense sarcasm 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Aha always a problem.

Then you can speak in a funny voice!

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Im interested.. Still torn on whether I want to my games library on a raid ssd or hdd.. Definitely going to put my blu ray collection on HDD hahahaha

Then you can speak in a funny voice!

Aha always a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU8ps6okoJ4

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

I'd love a few 10TB drives, only I think I'd have to take out a mortgage in order to afford them

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

With SSD's slowly getting cheaper and more reliable....what's the point?

After using an SSD for my OS, I will never go back to HDD's full time. The difference is just so ridiculously huge. (granted I'm using a samsung 840 pro. Hasn't missed a beat or made a single peep since I first installed my OS on it)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

(granted I'm using a samsung 840 pro. Hasn't missed a beat or made a single peep since I first installed my OS on it)

same, have 840 pro, i'm never switching back to HDD, but when it comes to storage ... i still don't trust SSD's , that's where these 10 TB HDD's come's in place 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

same, have 840 pro, i'm never switching back to HDD, but when it comes to storage ... i still don't trust SSD's 

#840promasterrace.

I still, even after a year of living with it, cannot believe the difference between and SSD and HDD. It's like....why do HDD's even exist anymore?

I go to use my mom's HDD computer and it's like.....ok....come on....I shouldn't be able to go take a piss before you open internet explorer....

#840promasterrace.

I still, even after a year of living with it, cannot believe the difference between and SSD and HDD. It's like....why do HDD's even exist anymore?

you can never recover stuff from an SSD if it's broke, but you can in Magnetic disks

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

you can never recover stuff from an SSD if it's broke, but you can in Magnetic disks

True. I'd use an HDD as a backup drive, but never again for OS and main drive.

True. I'd use an HDD as a backup drive, but never again for OS and main drive.

yup , and 10 TB HDD's make sense 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

But we are running out of heluim and we need heluim to cool stuff like MRI scanners and quantum bit computers. This just seems almost as big of a waste of helium as helium filled baloons.

HTID

But we are running out of heluim and we need heluim to cool stuff like MRI scanners and quantum bit computers. This just seems almost as big of a waste of helium as helium filled baloons.

It's 1000 time better to cap them in our Hard drives than letting them out of our atmosphere, because if you don't use it , it will get out of Ozone no matter what  

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

With SSD's slowly getting cheaper and more reliable....what's the point?

After using an SSD for my OS, I will never go back to HDD's full time. The difference is just so ridiculously huge. (granted I'm using a samsung 840 pro. Hasn't missed a beat or made a single peep since I first installed my OS on it)

Because SSDs cost something like 10x more per gigabyte than HDDs. If you want to store lots of stuff like the users in the 10TB thread, you'd be mad to do it with SSDs.

Lots of people make this claim.  But how many people actually send drives in to get recovered?  I have gotten quotes for data recovery.  You are talking 1-5k for basic recovery attempts, with 5-25 business day turn-around.  The more complex the situation with your drive, the more costly.  I don't even know a lot of businesses that pay for these services.  Granted, the services are doing fine, because there is still those rares needs where people and companies will pay whatever it costs.  But more often than not, people and companies just call it a loss.

Lots of people make this claim.  But how many people actually send drives in to get recovered?  I have gotten quotes for data recovery.  You are talking 1-5k for basic recovery attempts, with 5-25 business day turn-around.  The more complex the situation with your drive, the more costly.  I don't even know a lot of businesses that pay for these services.  Granted, the services are doing fine, because there is still those rares needs where people and companies will pay whatever it costs.  But more often than not, people and companies just call it a loss.

but can you say the same about SSD, has anyone ever in the history of SSD has even recovered a single bytes ? HDD is not fool proof yes , but it's better than SSD's the magnetic disk doesn't magically erase itself when it gets broken usually by the mechanical failure most of the times 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

but can you say the same about SSD, has anyone ever in the history of SSD has even recovered a single bytes ? HDD is not fool proof yes , but it's better than SSD's the magnetic disk doesn't magically erase itself when it gets broken usually by the mechanical failure most of the times 

My statement was not really in regards to the feasibility of recovering data.  It was more in regards to the likelihood that someone even would bother.  It is kind of a false argument to make if no one chooses the recovery route because more often than not it isn't worth it.  Besides, the unrecoverable nature of SSDs combined with their extreme access speeds makes them better for data security purposes.  1 drive format and all data is gone.

Finally a better use of He than those stupid party balloons which just end up wasting our limited supply of He with no useful applicative purpose.

mission critical data is never stored on just one drive though. It's way easier to have a few mirrored back-ups than rely on being able to recover data. Doing that with SSD's is kinda pointless though as a back-up doesn't need speed, just density.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

How the hell do they keep the Helium inside, the HDDs for an extended time. One of the most common problems with Helium storage its that it can slip through even metal bottles.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W