Steam Censors Kickass.to Mentions in Chat Client

qwertywarrior

http://torrentfreak.com/steam-censors-kickass-mentions-chat-client-150214/

i tired this

its real

quite odd - the text is not sent to the recipient

valve should instead send "******" instead of nothing

Steam users who want to discuss the latest news about the torrent site KickassTorrents may notice that their chats are censored. The popular instant messaging service is sending all mentions of the Kickass.to domain into a black hole

“There is no warning or blocked message notification. The messages simply disappeared,” we were told.

After running some tests, which have been replicated by TF, it’s clear that messages mentioning the Kickass.to domain name are not coming through. It’s not just the domain that’s censored, but the entire message.

Below is an example of the vanishing text where the user sent the following three lines.

steamcensored.png

1. The next line may be missing
2. A line mentioning Kickass.to
3. Was there a line 2

The person on the other end of the conversation only sees line 1 and 3, without a warning or notification that the second line was not sent.

It’s unclear why Steam is censoring these conversations. TorrentFreak contacted Valve to find out more about the disappearing chats, but at the time of publication we have yet to receive a response.

#STEAMGATE

heh i know people hate the GATE syntax  - let the hate flow through you

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

While I don't agree with censoring private conversation- look at it this way- they make money from selling games. Kickass torrents and the like are direct competition to them. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

While I don't agree with censoring private conversation- look at it this way- they make money from selling games. Kickass torrents and the like are direct competition to them. 

Agree and disagree with you.  They should NOT have ANY filtering on PM's however I understand what you mean.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

What if they're sending something legitimately legal?

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

This just is wrong.... They shouldn't be doing this. Has Valve started digging Yes I know we are tired of digging :P

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

well this isnt good

next they will censor the word origin and uplay

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Agree and disagree with you.  They should NOT have ANY filtering on PM's however I understand what you mean.

Right, I agree, but I believe that has to do with it reason-wise. 

well this isnt good

next they will censor the word origin and uplay

They are legal businesses, so note likely, but I'm ok with censoring Uplay if it means all ubisoft games launch without it! xD

Also, consider that it's possible that some larger game companies pressured valve to do this. 

Bolding that because this is likely it.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It doesn't consor my messages about Kickass.to and i just tried it.

Update: It dosn't censor my message but only blocks links to kickass.to

8a91d35dc2.png

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

is this supposed to reduce the 'know' of kickass?

as if people don't communicate via voice (Steam, Skype, Teamspeak, etc) pfft, useless filter is useless.

It doesn't consor my messages about Kickass.to and i just tried it.

it doesn't block it for you (the one sending the mesage) it does for the one receiving it (from what I gather)

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Kickass torrents and the like are direct competition to them. 

No they are not, if you want to make that argument at least say that the release groups are the direct competition. Kickass, TPB, etc are basically search engines for torrents.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

No they are not, if you want to make that argument at least say that the release groups are the direct competition. Kickass, TPB, etc are basically search engines for torrents.

they are. So is tpb. Like I said, it's likely not valve but someone, like a large game company, pressuring them to do it in their infinite wisdom, kinda like a game version of WMG or MPAA

muh specs 

All parts black

I've personally experienced this, if I tried to send any links to any website my message would not go through. (that was a week or two ago)

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

Easy solution is to just break apart the link with underscores, periods, commas, brackets, spaces, etc.

This just is wrong.... They shouldn't be doing this. Has Valve started digging Yes I know we are tired of digging :P

Valve started digging when they created greenlight, when they didn't accept returns (AT ALL) and when they took 1/3rd of every sale for themselves

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Ugh.

Why dont they ban mentions of pirate bay? of torrentz.eu? of dropbox, mega, uploaded.net etc. it's all the freaking same. Legitimate file-sharing services that CAN be used for piracy.

Why single out an individual?

This makes 0 sense.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

they are. So is tpb. Like I said, it's likely not valve but someone, like a large game company, pressuring them to do it in their infinite wisdom, kinda like a game version of WMG or MPAA

which also makes no sense because of how much freaking revenue steam brings in anyway. the loss of a single producer is no biggie. Steam doesn't need thier business, they DON'T need to kiss producers's asses to make a buck.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Ugh.

Why dont they ban mentions of pirate bay? of torrentz.eu? of dropbox, mega, uploaded.net etc. it's all the freaking same. Legitimate file-sharing services that CAN be used for piracy.

Why single out an individual?

This makes 0 sense.

Because if you do it by a marginal basis then people don't care as much. [insert "when they came for X" here]

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

which also makes no sense because of how much freaking revenue steam brings in anyway. the loss of a single producer is no biggie. Steam doesn't need thier business, they DON'T need to kiss producers's asses to make a buck.

You'd be surprised. 

But either way they done did it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

they should block links to such websites maybe but not censor your chat wtf.. steam is going the weird way too