Amazon selling fake AMD A8-7600 APU?

ahhming

A German guy bought an A8-7600 processor on amazon website and find it fishy , as the pins are different from APU models.

tn_ct.0515.016_group_25208.jpg

Left is fake, right is genuine

tn_image-1423036283940607.jpg

The customer  then sent the fake cpu to a german tech community "c't" where They had an old mainboard with the right socket and ram to test it out.  

when booted up,the CPU reports itself as "Athlon 64 X2 5200+" with 2.7 GHz and crashes fraction of a second later on - even during the boot process.

The A8-7600 APU Athlon is disguise as an 64 X2 5200+ which is a 5 year old processor

A user also reported that its fake from amazon.uk

2d1jl1c.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2T5PAC4OY42KG/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00LUH1N4O&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=340831031&store=computers

the german tech community "c't" also notice the box to be different

tn_Etikett_85516-bbe-jg_PR.jpg

jdsu_r6_anim.gif2a.png< real

The german tech community "c't" then reported to both Amazon and AMD . Amazon did not reply and  AMD's is investigating on this matter and gave the affected user an FM2 + the CPU as compensation

*UPDATE

OC3D spoke to AMD directly about this issue and issued them this response.

"It is apparent that this isolated incident is not related in any way to AMD's manufacturing or packaging, however AMD takes any reports of product tampering very seriously. As part of our ongoing efforts to help ensure consumers and businesses are sold only genuine AMD processors, we thoroughly investigate these extremely rare incidents in an effort to determine the source of the altered products, and consider all available legal remedies - including both civil and criminal prosecution - against persons found to have engaged in fraudulent actions affecting AMD products.

We are working in close cooperation with Amazon and the local enforcement authorities to conclude this incident quickly and ensure that the rigorous quality and reliability standards that AMD is known for are maintained. In addition, while AMD already implements extensive security measures to ensure the authenticity of our products, we are currently evaluating further measures to implement additional security measures for maximum future support."

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/cpu_mainboard/fake_amd_processors_in_circulation/1

sorry source in German, had a hard time understanding it even with google translate

* thanks @BcrdRqs for the translation 

source:

http://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2015-5-Gefaelschte-AMD-Prozessoren-im-Umlauf-2536300.html

If it has such a different pin layout how can it fit in the socket

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

This is weird....

Many of those were first gen AM2 socket CPUs, so they fit. Although it's clear these aren't working at all.

I'm surprised Amazon didn't respond, they're usually right on the ball with reports like this.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I think AM2 CPU fit in FM2 socket.

Sorry for misinformation it appears that AM2 has different pins than FM2 and FM2+.

@Sidiox

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It didn't fit in the socket. The customer sent the cpu to the german tech community and tech-journnal-publisher "c't" (they are well known in germany). They had an old mainboard with the right socket and ram, so they booted it up. The mainboard boot screenshot was taken by them as well.

BTW not the customer did make contact to amazon and amd, it was c't as well. And the differences of the box was also recognized by them, not the customer. (Maybe post should be eddited)

Maybe i should check german news more often for such information and try to get a wan-show callout :D

BacardiRoqs

It didn't fit in the socket. The customer sent the cpu to the german tech community and tech-journnal-publisher "c't" (they are well known in germany). They had an old mainboard with the right socket and ram, so they booted it up. The mainboard boot screenshot was taken by them as well.

BTW not the customer did make contact to amazon and amd, it was c't as well. And the differences of the box was also recognized by them, not the customer. (Maybe post should be eddited)

Maybe i should check german news more often for such information and try to get a wan-show callout :D

lol thanks for the help !!

-snip-

What do these pics mean ???? not real ????? how not real ???

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Amazon isnt selling them, just a reseller on amazon is selling them. Nothing news worthy. People sell fake stuff all the time

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Likely just a shady reseller using the Amazon storefront. If reported it'll vanish soon enough.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Amazon isnt selling them, just a reseller on amazon is selling them. Nothing news worthy. People sell fake stuff all the time

was it sold by amazon or through amazon?

According to the article the CPU was sold directly by Amazon not through a third-party-reseller.

Quote from the article (I know it's german and not everyone will understand this):

die Rechnung stammte von Amazon Deutschland, nicht von irgendeinem Reseller

He put in an Am socket board, as it's an AM2 processor.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

Haha, I have that CPU which is shown on that monitor. It's running on my old PC.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

What do these pics mean ???? not real ????? how not real ???

The only things the customer did was buying the cpu and realizing it doesn't fit in his mainboard.

After that he sent the processor to a c't reporter, there the comparison-picture between the different sockets was made as well as investigating the core with a mainboard and contacting amazon and amd.

BacardiRoqs

someone likely screwed up their one job

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

/thread

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

The only things the customer did was buying the cpu and realizing it doesn't fit in his mainboard.

After that he sent the processor to a c't reporter, there the comparison-picture between the different sockets was made as well as investigating the core with a mainboard and contacting amazon and amd.

Not those pics, the logo pics.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Nice to see that AMD was on top of it and already compensated the guy altough it wasnt their faulth probaly

Kudo's to AMD for that!

Let's agree to disagree

Not those pics, the logo pics.

its looking head on, so  the logo should be white instead of black/green  which only appear at off angle.

tn_image-1423036283940607.jpg

The customer  then sent the fake cpu to a german tech community "c't" where They had an old mainboard with the right socket and ram to test it out.  

when booted up,the CPU reports itself as "Athlon 64 X2 5200+" with 2.7 GHz and crashes fraction of a second later on - even during the boot process.

Interestingly, I have the same CPU, Athlon 64 X2 5200+, in the Compaq HTPC downstairs. It's 2.6GHz, not 2.7.

Factory OC op

"Rawr XD"

Faking the heat spreader probably isn't easy.  Wonder what the profit margin on this kind of scam is.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Having not use any new amd cpus, I thought the first one was the genuine one since AM2, AM2+, and AM3 all used the same socket.