Law Firm currently investigating Nvidia for potential Class Action.

lumpkin

Ah good. Making Nvidia waste a huge pile of money on a lawsuit will definitely make them think twice about deceiving customers in this way again. At least for a little while.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

LOL, not surprised

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

It also takes a handful of pissed off consumers to have that firm go after the corporation since it requires a plaintiff for a lawsuit. So my guess would be that some pissed off entitled little brat called up a bunch of lawyers to find one that would sue on their behalf and now we have a lawsuit which I will bet that they won't get shit for it and if for some reason they do it will be at best $50 cash or $100 in product credit.

Hell it reminds me of that class action suit that was going on late last year against Redbull a hand full of people sued them for false advertising since Redbull doesn't actually "Give You Wings". Yes someone actually sued over a marketing slogan and the suit ended in any person who bought Redbull between 2006-2014 getting a check for $15 or two 4 packs of Redbull. 

very very true. It would find it pretty funny to see a late night commerical or get something in the mail that was like " Have you recently purchased a 970 and noticed stuttering or performance drops when it counts the most, you may be entitled to a cash settlment for your suffering!"

Class action lawsuits are almost always about one thing, making lawyers money. They rarely accomplish anything else.

There are a few exceptions like suing tobacco companies. They cause so much suffering and death to so many people over such a long time, and have such deep pockets and powerful lobbying that class action lawsuits are the least they deserve.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Well if I was a lawyer I'd sue them too. There's a good chance due to false advertising of the ROPs, and I'd make money!

Linus is my fetish.

People are overlooking that this happens anyway and with greater severity when a game ends up using shared ram from going beyond the Vram limit. The gtx 780s only have 3 Gb vram which is even less than the 970s main allocation of 3.5 Gb.

Its easy enough to keep your vram usage within your GPUs limits by reducing AA / disabling DSR. If youre running at 1440p+, you dont need as much AA anyway.

"Don't worry about that .5 GB we falsely advertised, you didn't need it anyway. I mean why continue making graphics cards with more than 3.5 GB that's just pointless no one will ever use more..."

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

piss my self if nvidia win....me thinks they have a good chance

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Right, I'm entitled for wanting to be made whole after I bought a product, expecting a certain level of performance, only to find out I've been lied to. A refund would be half way to making me whole, and a refund where shipping is covered by them at that.

I hope you are joking..

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

I hope you are joking..

I am simply stating what I feel would be an appropriate apology for being lied to, nothing more.

They offer me just a refund, okay, fine, I will take my money, go elsewhere and never return. They offer me a free upgrade to a 980 (as in, send in my 970 and get a 980 back), and it shows me they care about their customers and legitimately want to make things right, and I'd even be okay with paying to ship the 970 back to them, and ship the 980 back to me.

I reserve the right to my own opinion, if all anyone can do is come at me with ad hominem's, don't bother, your opinion is equally as valid/invalid as mine.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"Don't worry about that .5 GB we falsely advertised, you didn't need it anyway. I mean why continue making graphics cards with more than 3.5 GB that's just pointless no one will ever use more..."

The Vram was not falsely advertised as 4 Gb is still there on the card. Going past 3.5 Gb and into the last 512 mb is still twice as fast as going into the system ram instead. What was miscomunicated was the layout of the L2 cache, rops, and how the MC handles the vram split. If all that had actually been there,the 970 would also have cost more. The false,advertising is a let down, but the card is still more than worth its cost and performs identically to all the benchmarks we were given on its release.

Linus is my fetish.

Wow people need to relax, am not saying that nvidia did not do consumers wrong. but lawsuits just makes the entire industry move at a slower pace 

http://tech4gamers.com/geforce-gtx-970-big-law-firm-going-sue-nvidia/

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

More info please.

1-Repost 

When claiming repost please post a link to the original article.

"Rawr XD"

The Vram was not falsely advertised as 4 Gb is still there on the card. Going past 3.5 Gb and into the last 512 mb is still twice as fast as going into the system ram instead. What was miscomunicated was the layout of the L2 cache, rops, and how the MC handles the vram split. If all that had actually been there,the 970 would also have cost more. The false,advertising is a let down, but the card is still more than worth its cost and performs identically to all the benchmarks we were given on its release.

So which is it? False advertising or not?

I keep seeing the benchmark fallacy pop up. Those benchmarks never tested for full utilization of VRAM, they aren't pertinent to the discussion.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Ah good. Making Nvidia waste a huge pile of money on a lawsuit will definitely make them think twice about deceiving customers in this way again. At least for a little while.

Not really. 

For starters it'll get settled if not dismissed and secondly who do you think is getting the class action money? The firms partners, not the consumers who sign onto the class action. Class actions are largely a joke since 99% of them don't involve meaningful payouts to the plaintiffs. 

As I much want to say that people are overreacting. We must have tolerance 0 on false advertising.

If they go after the specs of teh card being wrong, they'll win.

If they go for the memory, then this is silly, and will lose, and waste everyone time and money.

Class action lawsuits only benefit lawyers... plus, as someone who owns 2 gtx 970s, I don't feel wronged. They perform extremely well for the price.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Only the lawfirm is going to win in this.  The judge will settle on a total number, the law firm takes its (massive) cut and then all the people get $5. 

Class action lawsuits are mostly just for the ego of persons that sue them.

As I much want to say that people are overreacting. We must have tolerance 0 on false advertising.

If they go after the specs of teh card being wrong, they'll win.

If they go for the memory, then this is silly, and will lose, and waste everyone time and money.

Law firm wins either way, the fees they'll rake in on something like this make even "losing" the suit worth it. 

hope they squize enough money from Nvidia to make them clean that shity marketing departement, been going on for years, always borderline illegal marketing.

personally i dont care who gets the money, as long as nvidia loses enough, to stop and think twice about it next time

Class actions are largely a joke since 99% of them don't involve meaningful payouts to the plaintiffs. 

Yeah, the consumers will get little to nothing, but it will bring real consequences to Nvidia.

Something meaningful, not just the obviously astroturfed 'Epic #shots fired! XD' social media backlash.

I am simply stating what I feel would be an appropriate apology for being lied to, nothing more.

They offer me just a refund, okay, fine, I will take my money, go elsewhere and never return. They offer me a free upgrade to a 980 (as in, send in my 970 and get a 980 back), and it shows me they care about their customers and legitimately want to make things right, and I'd even be okay with paying to ship the 970 back to them, and ship the 980 back to me.

I reserve the right to my own opinion, if all anyone can do is come at me with ad hominem's, don't bother, your opinion is equally as valid/invalid as mine.

I see your point, but you have to look at it through the business standpoint of Nvidia. Once they give one guy a free upgrade from a 970 to a 980 sooner or later they are going to have to start doing that for everybody. Imagine how many of those cards were sold and how expensive it would be to replace all of them with their flagship card. It just can't work that way.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Not really.

For starters it'll get settled if not dismissed and secondly who do you think is getting the class action money? The firms partners, not the consumers who sign onto the class action. Class actions are largely a joke since 99% of them don't involve meaningful payouts to the plaintiffs.

I literally didn't even mention any payouts I don't know why you brought it up. Making Nvidia spend a bunch of money on crap they don't want to will hopefully make them think twice before being dishonest again. That's all.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I see your point, but you have to look at it through the business standpoint of Nvidia. Once they give one guy a free upgrade from a 970 to a 980 sooner or later they are going to have to start doing that for everybody. Imagine how many of those cards were sold and how expensive it would be to replace all of them with their flagship card. It just can't work that way.

Sure it can. That's called consequences for lying and false advertising. They should have to give that upgrade to everyone who bought a 980.

That, or come out with a 970 that operates AS ADVERTISED, and give free replacements to the ones that have been sold. Shit like this needs consequences, not just a damned refund.

I literally didn't even mention any payouts I don't know why you brought it up. Making Nvidia spend a bunch of money on crap they don't want to will hopefully make them think twice before being dishonest again. That's all.

That or forcing them to give everyone who bought a 970, a free 980 in exchange for purchased 970. Would certainly make them learn a fucking lesson.