Law Firm currently investigating Nvidia for potential Class Action.

lumpkin

Firms that do this class action stuff bring it against any company they can. Its not an indication of Nvidia's wrongdoing, only lawyers trying to make money. Even if they did bring the suit and win, people who bought the card (i.e. us) would only get a couple of bucks anyway.

The closest example I could think of is when Naked (the juice company) got caught lying about its ingredients (which is somewhat analgous to this). my roomate participated for fun and I think got like $5 of a multi-million settlement.

Yes, send my GTX 970s that cost me £275 each for a refund, and purchase GTX 980s for £550 each to replace them, makes total sense! Not. Can anyone link to where Nvidia has said that people who bought these can get a refund? I wouldn't currently, but maybe if this is true I can do that when I next upgrade?

it wouldn't be an unlimited time window for a return, more like a very very very closed one.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I have a question regarding false advertisement does that mean that in half a year I can still return my card and get a full refund from the company I bought the card from and wait for gtx 1070 to come out ?

The easiest way to make money in the U.S. is to sue somebody that already has a bunch.

I see this as hurting NVIDIA and the GPU market in the long run. I don't understand why anybody would be excited for this.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I have a question regarding false advertisement does that mean that in half a year I can still return my card and get a full refund from the company I bought the card from and wait for gtx 1070 to come out ?

Short answer: probably not. If the FTC charges Nvidia with false advertising, they would likely settle with the FTC. Part of the settlement would require that Nvidia pay X number of dollars to consumers who could prove they bought 970's. However, it is likely this would be well below the full price of the 970. That being said, if this scenario happens, you would be able to keep your 970 and claim some money.

and just to be clear, I am not a lawyer.

have any of you guys ever bought a car??? say i want a ford.. the website claims it does 68mpg .. nobody in the world would ever get that, even if you taped up all the lines, filled th tires with gas lighter than air, ran it on race grade fuel and emptied everything out of it bard the engine and gear box you'd still never get that.. its basically the same story here, things aren't 100% as advertised.

Hard drives for example, you buy a 1tb hard drive, its not 1tb when you plug it in because of the difference between gigabits and gigabytes ect..

also the 970 DOES have 4gb ram and all 4 gb of it is, USABLE ram, its just split into 2 different segments and one being much much much faster than the other.

so they haven't really lied, they haven't miss sold a product, as it clearly has 4gb of ram the benchmarks show it using all 4gb.. so technically its not a lie at all. 

Its miss representation of something yes, but hell if misrepresentation was a thing, every lawyer in the world defending a guilty party would be liable for the same treatment... and then nobody could sue anyone.. wait.. thats a good thing... 

It also has only 54 ROPS when they claimed it was 64 ROPs. So false advertising.

Eh, Nvidia's "help" isn't enough unfortunately. NewEgg absolutely refuses to take back my 970s no matter what I say. :wacko:

Yeah, nVidia was no help to me, either. I had to call up Best Buy and get them to give me a refund. 

And I actually had issues with the 970 that were not present with my 980. Does this make me a liar, @Jobbe03? No. This is just what I was experiencing before this whole fiasco started.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

also the 970 DOES have 4gb ram and all 4 gb of it is, USABLE ram, its just split into 2 different segments and one being much much much faster than the other.

valid point.

But they still gave out the wrong rops and something like the ram partition should still be specified.

Cpu: Intel i7-5930k Mobo: Asus Rampage V Extreme Ram: G.skill Ripjaws 4 4x4gb 2666mhz Gpu: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming 
PSU: Evga Supernova G2 850W Storage: Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512gb Case: Phanteks P400S CPUcooler: Corsair H110 OS: Win 8.1

Are you 13? That isnt how it works. You get a faulty product you arent entitled to a product almost twice the price. You are entitled to either the product working as advertised or a full refund(yes that includes shipping) any more than that and thats the companies choice.

I'd take you're point more seriously if you weren't using a running ad hominem.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Kind of embarrasing how people use every little bit to start those fan boy wars.

Those people that sell a GTX970 because they run into issues with 1440p ULTRA settings or 4K... sorry they should have bought a GTX980 in the first place. But many of those people thought they'd get a GTX980 performance for way cheaper price. I'm not sure if these people actually realize they would have had issues performance wise weather there's more or less memory.

Others just hate around and just as a reminder for some of those people riding the hate train, please watch your language and stop the bad mouthing, rumor has it some people got banned recently for their bad behaviour!

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Lol, Linus liked this xD

I saw. Great men think alike

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Another thing worth nothing is that this performance issue is entirely due to the 3.5 / 0.5 Gb Vram split. If you do go ahead and swap them to 980s, your basically paying around £150 more just for 0.5 Gb Vram. If 3.5 Gb is becoming a noticable limit, its not going to be long until 4 Gb is no longer enough, and its a lot more cash to spend just for a small amount of vram.

Better to just keep the 970(s) and reduce AA if you need to. Also 3.5 Gb isn't a limit at 1440p, its a limit when you try to run 1440p with DSR / 8x SSAA lol.

Linus is my fetish.

I saw. Great men think alike

Or, you fancy yourself Nvidia's publicist. I can't tell which.

I don't exactly know what's the point of this since the card does have 4gb. It's like the dual cards. They're advertised as, lets just say titan, 12gb although their max usable vram is 6gb. 

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I don't exactly know what's the point of this since the card does have 4gb. It's like the dual cards. They're advertised as, lets just say titan, 12gb although their max usable vram is 6gb. 

The main issue is that once you utilize over 3.5GB's of VRAM, your game will suffer from immense stuttering and unplayable FPS. Something that should not be happening from a card marketed as 4GB. It would really other bother you if you purchased one. 

The main issue is that once you utilize over 3.5GB's of VRAM, your game will suffer from immense stuttering and unplayable FPS. Something that should not be happening from a card marketed as 4GB. It would really other bother you if you purchased one. 

People are overlooking that this happens anyway and with greater severity when a game ends up using shared ram from going beyond the Vram limit. The gtx 780s only have 3 Gb vram which is even less than the 970s main allocation of 3.5 Gb.

Its easy enough to keep your vram usage within your GPUs limits by reducing AA / disabling DSR. If youre running at 1440p+, you dont need as much AA anyway.

Linus is my fetish.

Firms that do this class action stuff bring it against any company they can. Its not an indication of Nvidia's wrongdoing, only lawyers trying to make money. Even if they did bring the suit and win, people who bought the card (i.e. us) would only get a couple of bucks anyway.

The closest example I could think of is when Naked (the juice company) got caught lying about its ingredients (which is somewhat analgous to this). my roomate participated for fun and I think got like $5 of a multi-million settlement.

It also takes a handful of pissed off consumers to have that firm go after the corporation since it requires a plaintiff for a lawsuit. So my guess would be that some pissed off entitled little brat called up a bunch of lawyers to find one that would sue on their behalf and now we have a lawsuit which I will bet that they won't get shit for it and if for some reason they do it will be at best $50 cash or $100 in product credit.

Hell it reminds me of that class action suit that was going on late last year against Redbull a hand full of people sued them for false advertising since Redbull doesn't actually "Give You Wings". Yes someone actually sued over a marketing slogan and the suit ended in any person who bought Redbull between 2006-2014 getting a check for $15 or two 4 packs of Redbull. 

law firm cashing in on this..blood suckers all of them..

they are looking/amassing for complainants to proceed with this..

non-owner of gtx 970, so kinda neutral if nvidia should heavily pay for this..

1-Repost 

2- Of course people are going to sew nvidia , they like money.

Do they like knitting too? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500