Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

Guys i use windows BASIC on my pc i will tell you how much VRAM it uses.

TXTEAFh.png

1080p resolution.

I dont like AERO.

with aero is 300 mb at 4k

fau4go.png

Not significant.

-snip-

How did you know I liked reading idiocy with a side of angst? Oh you...

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I'm sitting at 374 with two 1080p monitors with nothing but steam, chrome, and afterburner open. 

Man i tried doing that and was idling at nearly 8gb or ram usage. Then again i managed to get a virus that kept just opening more and more svhost programs until i hit 12gb ram while watching a video on chrome. Even w/ that virus gone though im consistently hitting around 6gb of idle ram usage, on a brand new setup too! Gosh darnit 3rd party software clogging up task manager.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Man i tried doing that and was idling at nearly 8gb or ram usage. Then again i managed to get a virus that kept just opening more and more svhost programs until i hit 12gb ram while watching a video on chrome. Even w/ that virus gone though im consistently hitting around 6gb of idle ram usage, on a brand new setup too! Gosh darnit 3rd party software clogging up task manager.

RAM =/= VRAM 

Although, 6gb of RAM usage is still a lot... Even with Dota 2, steam, chrome (10~ tabs), and afterburner I'm only using 4.5gb ram. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Oh look another 970 owner trying to validate his purchase.

You guys are all twats.

Reported for being needlessly offensive. 

We're talking about VRAM, not System Memory.

You guys are all twats.

Way to contribute. The purpose of debate is to sway the opinion of others through logic and reason. Calling people twats doesn't really work...

RAM =/= VRAM 

Although, 6gb of RAM usage is still a lot... 

shhh-sh-h-sh. I know theres a difference, i just wanted to see the reactions, and if people wouldn't catch it :3  You guys are pretty good super sleuths. Anyway though, yea, 6gb idle ram is bs. Refund please! 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Way to contribute. The purpose of debate is to sway the opinion of others through logic and reason. Calling people twats doesn't really work...

Logic and reason doesnt work if the recipient is biased from the get go.

Fruit of the poisoned tree.

You guys are all twats.

Trying to validate his purchase? It's already pretty validated.

The GTX 970 is a more powerful GTX 780 with better efficiency and more VRAM, that in itself validates the purchase. It's an amazing bang-for-your-buck card, denying it is ignorant.

Name calling is not a good way to prove a point, either, especially as a new user.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

shhh-sh-h-sh. I know theres a difference, i just wanted to see the reactions, and if people wouldn't catch it :3  You guys are pretty good super sleuths. Anyway though, yea, 6gb idle ram is bs. Refund please! 

Well, theres no GPU that even has 6gb of VRAM (Titan/Quaddros excluded)...so it's obvious right from the get-go :unsure: 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Trying to validate his purchase? It's already pretty validated.

The GTX 970 is a more powerful GTX 780 with better efficiency and more VRAM, that in itself validates the purchase. It's an amazing bang-for-your-buck card, denying it is ignorant.

Name calling is not a good way to prove a point, either, especially as a new user.

I do agree with this. I feel a lot of people arn't mad about the card not performing well, because it does perform very very well. But they're mad because NoVidia straight up lied to people in marketing (to try and get more sales most likely.)

Its not just about performance, its about the ethical of Nvidia going through weeks of plain lying to the masses.

I seriously doubt They would have said anything at all if it didnt come out from a 3rd party first.

It will only be 500 MB with multiple displays.

Or 4k.

Are you delusional or a troll, or maybe both:

first you say the desktop won't use 500M of ram, then (when proven wrong) you say only with 4k, right after saying the card won't do 4k because it's broke, even though you dismiss the very argument that shows you can avoid the thing that's broke by avoiding 4K or by (as already said) getting the driver to reallocate ram to desktop usage.  Your arguments void themselves, they are illogical.

Please stop posting nonsense then insulting others. You do not know what you are talking about. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You guys are all twats.

Pretty sure some of us don't own 970's. We take issue with the mental retardation that's coming up.

I do agree with this. I feel a lot of people arn't mad about the card not performing well, because it does perform very very well. But they're mad because NoVidia straight up lied to people in marketing (to try and get more sales most likely.)

Its not just about performance, its about the ethical of Nvidia going through weeks of plain lying to the masses.

The people on this thread are totally okay with that @Majestic.

Are you delusional or a troll, or maybe both:

first you say the desktop won't use 500M of ram, then (when proven wrong) you say only with 4k, right after saying the card won't do 4k because it's broke, even though you dismiss the very argument that shows you can avoid the thing that's broke by avoiding 4K or by (as already said) getting the driver to reallocate ram to desktop usage.  Your arguments void themselves, they are illogical.

Please stop posting nonsense then insulting others. You do not know what you are talking about. 

It wont use 500 MB of VRAM at 4k with aero.

I linked a picture.

Whjats your problem?

fau4go.png

Thats lower than 500 mb.

I seriously doubt They would have said anything at all if it didnt come out from a 3rd party first.

Well yes, that's what we'd like to discuss. But it's not really only about that, is it. If the last 20 pages are to be any form of indication.

Now you're just projecting.

I wonder how he will respond when the chagrin sets in.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Honestly, no one should be. We should all force Nvidia to do something actual about this deal, if only to make a show that no company has the right to out right lie to people about their product. And there's honestly NO WAY that all the marketing got through months of closed review w/o someone noticing this and being like, Hey guys, this shit is wrong!

200th post :D  #selfie4facebook\\nolyfe;-;

Well yes, that's what we'd like to discuss. But it's not really only about that, is it. If the last 20 pages are to be any form of indication.

Tells us what you think about the ethical implications of this then.

Im curious about your opinion.

then you're not reading the thread properly are you?

The best way to kill a thread is to stop posting in it. So please, let's.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Tells us what you think about the ethical implications of this then.

Im curious about your opinion.

Ethical implications? This is the best example of a first world problem I've ever seen. Go away.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Ethical implications? This is the best example of a first world problem I've ever seen. Go away.

False advertisement rings a bell?

Anyways i want to hear his opinion.