Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

If you claim something, then claim it with proof. No reason to hide when you can prove something.

Yet you didn't bother reading the full topic and see all the posts in which I did.

I never say something I can't back up, I just really didn't feel like providing evidence for such trivial stuff you can easily look up on a google image search.

At this rate I might just weight and see what effect the 300's have on the market. 

I hope it'll be worth the weight!

gabe_newell.jpeg

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

The issue is that they didn't lie. They shouldn't have advertised the card as 4GB, but they weren't wrong in doing so. They shouldn't have said it contained 64 ROPs, but they did, and weren't wrong (except 8 are inactive).

Take as much time attempting to prove it, but there is no logical reason behind why NVIDIA would have lied.

1) NVIDIA wouldn't have and did not gain anything from this. As I've said, this card is crazy better than a GTX 780, and they could have sold it just like that. Let's remember, the GTX 780 was $700 on release, the 970 is $330 and more power efficient. Honestly, 512MB of VRAM does not change the gaming aspect of this card, and I bet everybody who bought the card didn't realize what an ROP is and what it could do (and I bet you even more, the same people complaining don't understand how 8 additional ROPs would be useless anyway).

2) NVIDIA is not stupid, not like some companies. They recognize that the consumers they're trying to appeal to would have immediately found the flaws with it, and they did. If it was deliberate and NVIDIA had no story behind why this was all unknown and still advertised to, then I can see the argument. The issue is, though, their story makes sense. The fact that they would lie does not. Remember, they're trying to appeal to people smarter than who the lie would have been able to fool.

3) The card has all of the originally advertised features, however, the ROPs are actually disabled and the VRAM segmented. Is it morally correct for AMD to be advertising the R9 295X2 as an 8GB card? Because they are.

I see your point, and for the most part agree with it. The 295 shouldnt be labelled as an 8gb card, when it only can sustain 4gb for each core. But at least all 8gb are actually there and functioning. The issue is that i can't honestly beleive that for months Nvidia managed to completely ignore the specs they were going with. At some point SOMEONE from research & dev would have seen what they were saying and tried to speak up, but no. If it turns out that by some complete lack of common sense nvidia actually does just give their PR group an unlabeled card and say "here, you figure out whats new about it, and then start forwarding that info on w/o checking to make sure its actually right!" then i will retract my statements about them lying. There should have been no way this could have happened if they simply did some basic fact checking. 

I hear your argument, and it has some solid evidence, but i just can't see how such a successful company can apparently have such little oversight of what two what should be closely related departments are doing.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I hope it'll be worth the weight!

gabe_newell.jpeg

ouch, I do that so often, however usually I catch my mistakes upon proof reading.  The most common one for me at the moment is hear and here because I do a lot of audio work and talk about hearing all the time.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What this thread has become:

2ivk5yv.jpg

Pretty sure it's anything but a perfect being....

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Yet you didn't bother reading the full topic and see all the posts in which I did.

I never say something I can't back up, I just really didn't feel like providing evidence for such trivial stuff you can easily look up on a google image search.

Fair enough, no one forced you to prove it. I'm not.

This thread has 45 pages. Where should I look to find the answer to the same question someone else has asked before?

And it's not the end of the world if you don't answer. I just asked for an example. @djdwosk97 was kind enough to post a screenshot.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Let me guess you have a 970.

YUP.

970 owners so adamant about defending nvidia.

I wonder why.

i dont, but if it performs like this f*uck me i want one .

how many rops it has? 2 or 3 ? dont care just bring it on

bf4_1920_1080.gif bf4_2560_1440.gif

The ouroboros has many meanings, one of which is cyclical actions like revolving or recurring events. 

You mean a like a ton of shit posting leading to more shit posting?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

You mean a like a ton of shit posting leading to more shit posting?

More like the thread looks like it's finally going to die, then people keep feeding the trolls some more. Then it dies again, then people feed them some more. Oh wait it died again, nope more responses to the trolls.

I hear your argument, and it has some solid evidence, but i just can't see how such a successful company can apparently have such little oversight of what two what should be closely related departments are doing.

Actually, you'd be quite surprised how departments like marketing and PR are so detached from the rest of the company. I've been taking courses to reach a degree in Business Administration, and both some of my classmates and teachers have talked about some companies having marketing setting unrealistic goals or being completely uninformed of what actually is, because they're on a different level in the company. Victoria's Secret, for example, has its higher officials tell the ground level crew to spend a maximum of 2 minutes per person who requires help, so they can go on and help more people. That was an unrealistic goal set by people that don't actually know what it's like to be on the ground level, most employees will tell you from first hand experience that you might need 5x as much time just to make sure one person is content.

That's just a single example, though. This is common among companies, it would be no surprise if this were true with NVIDIA.

ouch, I do that so often, however usually I catch my mistakes upon proof reading.  The most common one for me at the moment is hear and here because I do a lot of audio work and talk about hearing all the time.   

Haha, yea, it's not problem, I've been making a lot of mistakes recently, too. I just recently got my Razer BlackWidow, and I'm still learning how to type effectively on it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Ha-ha?

This is actual marketing from AMD.

Nvidia is really hurting their reputation with this they should really do something about it like $20 off your next upgrade.

Or make a GTX980 upgrade program.

RTX2070OC 

This is actual marketing from AMD.

Nvidia is really hurting their reputation with this they should really do something about it like $20 off your next upgrade.

Or make a GTX980 upgrade program.

Or maybe you shouldn't buy into smear campaigns of their rivals? Where did you get that from anyway.

I mean, nvidia could just as well stab back with some leafblower reference. And If you think AMD isn't hurting, you're wildly misinformed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8913/amd-reports-q4-fy-2014-and-full-year-results

AMD selling those big chips with large memorybusses on the cheap has it's downsides. 

He's referring to a video where Linus himself recommended the GTX 970 in SLI for 4K gaming.

Yeah I got the reference but took issue with the word choice. He could have said "up to you whether you think Linus was wrong" or something along those lines. But making a hardware recommendation based on believing the specs a manufacturer gives you about their product and personal experience running that hardware in that configuration isn't a lie.

It's not like he knew about all of this and had evidence to suggest that SLI 970's would be a worse option than a single 980 at 4K (which they aren't) but recommended them anyways. That might have been a lie... or at least misinformation.

/ internet warrior rant

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

??

I joined 25 jan , this account is not new.

Its against CoC I suspect to be rolling two accounts at once and using them to blatantly troll and harass other members as you have done. I guess being shot down before wasn't enough, you needed to come back for pitiful seconds. 

You're a part of history however. The largest derailed clusterfuck this forum has ever seen. The page hits and ad revenue must've been exceptionally great. 

I normally lean more towards Nvidia but I just have to post this:

-snip-

There's 4GB on the 970's too mate. Have you paid attention to anything being said? :P

Intel i7-5820K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS X99 Deluxe // G.SKILL Ribjaws 4 DDR4 16GB@2400MHz 13-13-13-35 // Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 850 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750

Ohey.

B8enfkCCYAEMfLC.png

Gold

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Ohey.

B8enfkCCYAEMfLC.png

And these are the people who advertise thier CPU as 8 cores when it isn't actually 8 soldered cores it's more like 6 and a half cores ? 

8350 literally has 4 TRUE cores, and I guess you can say it too, is hyperthreaded in AMD's world because it has 8 threads, but only 4 PHYSICAL processors.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

It's all interpretation, I've said it before, I'll say it again, they all do it and this just goes to show the more incensed by it you are the more you hated that particular company to begin with.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.