Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

You accuse him of name-calling; when you were calling people worse names from the very beginning. Don't hold double-standards; practice what you preach.

Just ignore him. Look at his sigs and his attitude the entire time he has been posting. He needed any reason to hate on Nvidia and he has one. The funniest thing is, and I can only speak for myself, I don't even own a modern Nvidia GPU much less a 970. I just dislike bullshit of this proportion being spread and fear mongering to be engaged in. 

I should go find a few memes to post, as thats how kids these days communicate I guess. 

Still nvidia wont be able to fix the nerfed memory arquitecture.

Unless you can download more l2 cache and SMs.

Fact of the matter is this problem affects gaming performance.

You might be able to reduce slightly the problem at best.

No they can't "fix" it, but they don't need to. The bandwidth of the 56 ROP's is also no bottleneck to the 3.5gygs (also explained in the video!), and the 3.5GB buffer is adequate on itself (or are you saying the 780TI is a weaksauce card for having only 3GB?).

It only affects gameplay NOW, but it can be completely fixed with proper software handling. Neither do consoleports require you to have >3GB memory, they just use it because they can. They eventually fill up ALL available memory, doesn't mean they 100% completely need it. In the case of the 970 they just sometimes mistake it for high-bandwidth memory and the fps goes down the shitter. Which is what needs to be fixed.

Now, stop this ignorant fear-mongering because you're utterly clueless.

No they can't "fix" it, but they don't need to. The bandwidth of the 56 ROP's is also no bottleneck to the 3.5gygs (also explained in the video!), and the 3.5GB buffer is adequate on itself (or are you saying the 780TI is a weaksauce card for having only 3GB?).

It only affects gameplay NOW, but it can be completely fixed with proper software handling. Stop this ignorant fear-mongering at once, because you're utterly clueless.

Completely fixed , doubt it.

The 780 TI is weaksauce at 4k , even SLI noadays.

Point of the matter people running 4k  970 SLI or TRI SLI are more screwed than they would have been if it was a true 4 GB card  with FAST 4 GB VRAM.

But you dont care about those people.

Completely fixed , doubt it.

The 780 TI is weaksauce at 4k , even SLI noadays.

Point of the matter people running 4k  970 SLI or TRI SLI are more screwed than they would have been if it was a true 4 GB card  with FAST 4 GB VRAM.

You're right, I don't care about anyone whos stupid enough to go for 970s for 4k at ultra settings. Just like I don't feel bad for someone who went with two 4gb R9 270x's with the intention of gaming at 4k. 

At sub 4k resolutions and 4k low-medium settings (the only time SLI 970s have enough power for 4k at an acceptable framerate) 3.5gb isn't an issue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Then buy a 980. Had the 970 been identical to the 980 in terms of memory it would've been more expensive. Because of the maxwell architecture and "buddy-system", they were able to use lower bins (damaged L2 cache) as 970's and still be within the normally accepted performance drop from top-end model to lower tier, which is why it's cheaper.

And do you honestly believe that 512MB of ram is going to make ALL the difference with 4K gaming? Bitch please. 

Then buy a 980. Had the 970 been identical to the 980 in terms of memory it would've been more expensive. Because of the maxwell architecture and "buddy-system", they were able to use lower bins (damaged L2 cache) as 970's, which is why it's cheaper.

And do you honestly believe that 512MB of ram is going to make ALL the difference with 4K gaming? Bitch please. 

You're right, I don't care about anyone whos stupid enough to go for 970s for 4k. Just like I don't feel bad for someone who went with two 4gb R9 270x's with the intention of gaming at 4k. 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_980_sli_review,13.html

77 fps tri SLI , it would have been a fine setup if only it didn't have this problem.

In newer games at 4k you will go over 3.5 GB.

Can someone post a complete picture of the spec page of the 970 reviewer's guide? I need it badly.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_980_sli_review,13.html

77 fps tri SLI , it would have been a fine setup if only it didn't have this problem.

In newer games at 4k you will go over 3.5 GB.

Three way SLI scaling is god awful in every game except Tomb Raider. And again, if you can afford three 970s you should be getting two 980s anyway -- which would actually end up being cheaper since you wouldn't need to spend extra on a motherboard that has a PLX chip, or spend extra by going with an X99 platform. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Three way SLI scaling is god awful in every game except Tomb Raider. And again, if you can afford three 970s you should be getting two 980s anyway -- which would actually end up being cheaper since you wouldn't need to spend extra on a motherboard that has a PLX chip, or spend extra by going with an X99 platform. 

Yeah fuck everyone that decided to use another setup than what I had in mind.

It gets playable fps , but fuck them and their issues.

I just care about myself.

>You right now.

Yeah fuck everyone that decided to use another setup than what I had in mind.

It gets playable fps , but fuck them and their issues.

I just care about myself.

>You right now.

Stop being a fucking straw man. 

Stop dismissing people just because they don't agree with you. 

Stop being such a pathetic 12 year old infant and open your brain to other viewpoints instead of crying and taking your ball home because someone disagreed. 

My god, you  have more drama than a high schooler auditioning for the production of Peter Pan. 

There are 500 MB of VRAM that are noticeably slower.

That ram isn't slower, they are the exact same memory chips. The 512MB is only connected to a single 32 bit memory bus, not the full 256 bit.

Nvidia%20GM204%20Maxwell%20architecture_

MC stands for memory controller, count them up, we got 8 of them each being 32bit forming together the full 256 bit controller

I'd still buy a 970 if given the opportunity to. Bang for buck is great and its a solid card. The amount of emotion and outrage poured into this is sort of funny. If people were that passionate about their career or education, they would be incredibly successful.

Stop being a fucking straw man. 

Stop dismissing people just because they don't agree with you. 

Stop being such a pathetic 12 year old infant and open your brain to other viewpoints instead of crying and taking your ball home because someone disagreed. 

My god, you  have more drama than a high schooler auditioning for the production of Peter Pan. 

If it bothers you this much walk away from the thread.

Its a free forum anyone can post.

I have given valid points , SLI or tri SLI users of the 970 were fucked by this issue.

I saw reports from a few in this forum.

you have seen all the benchmarks , it's still 970 performs the same as it did on its release , you were all happy abt the performance for the price back then , you still can , just PR messed up saying it was more than the actual , nothing to talk here, moving along.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

That ram isn't slower, they are the exact same memory chips. The 512MB is only connected to a single 32 bit memory bus, not the full 256 bit.

Nvidia%20GM204%20Maxwell%20architecture_

MC stands for memory controller, count them up, we got 8 of them each being 32bit forming together the full 256 bit controller

How do you explain the poor performance after 3.5 GB?

It clearly has less SMs and less cahce than the 980.

It is also lower priority.

If it bothers you this much walk away from the thread.

Its a free forum anyone can post.

I have given valid points , SLI or tri SLI users of the 970 were fucked by this issue.

I saw reports from a few in this forum.

Why would anyone do a 970 three-way SLI

Why would anyone do a 970 three-way SLI

For the same reason they would think that sli 970 is acceptable for 4k.... 

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

For the same reason they would think that sli 970 is acceptable for 4k.... 

It isnt after 3.5 GB of VRAM.

For less demanding games on the VRAM side at 4k its acceptable.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/11/19/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_sli_4k_nv_surround_review/2/.

What 80 Fps for you in a brand new game isnt okay? It needs to be 120 fps 4k?

It gets basically the same FPS as dual 980 .

Some people get two 970 and then add another later for good measure.

Whats so weird about that?

In the one game where Three-way SLI actually scales. In 99% of games three-way SLI is utter trash. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

It gets basically the same FPS as dual 980 .

Some people get two 970 and then add another later for good measure.

Whats so weird about that?

In what games do three 970s get basically the same performance as two 980s. I would expect the scaling to be very poor in most games.

This does not bother me at all. It works and performance is great. Mistake was made but that is only human. But if this becomes a common thing then I would be upset.

| Case:  NZXT H440 White| Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark I| CPU: Intel core i7 4770k | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60  | Graphics Card: EVGA 780ti Classified| SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb and 500gb | HDD: WD Black 2tb| RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb| PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Monitor: LG 34UM95| Keyboard: Logitech G15 | Mouse: Razer Mamba| Audio: HyperX Cloud |