Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

We've got enough egos and insanity here to go for a lifetime, we don't need someone else who takes it so seriously and can't even admit how biased and unprofessional he is being. 

Everyone here loves a conspiracy. I should know. I've been accused of many :)

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Oh man, I only have 223GB available on my 240GB drive, should I start a post too?

your system read it in base 10 system , your HDD is advertised in Base 2 system 

Megabyte to be 1000 Kilobytes, 1 Gigabyte to be 1000 Megabytes, 1 Terabyte to be 1000 Gigabytes and so on. This is correct considering that kilo means 1000 and mega means 1000000 (106). However, computers calculate on base 2 and to them, 1 MB is actually 1024 kilobytes, 1GB is 1024MB and 1 TB is 1024GB. This difference in the method of computation is responsible for this "missing space."

ZYg0Fik.png

Source : http://www.tweakandtrick.com/2013/07/lost-storage-space.html

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Holy Shit, someone call the guy's at CERN, I think we have just discovered the densest matter on the planet!!!  Last time I looked something that dense usually only exists for a few hundredths of a second, but this one has existed on for almost 40 pages. 

Think I might start a sensationalized tech news post about how Seagate didn't actually give me 1tb of storage on my mechanical drive.

Oh man, I only have 223GB available on my 240GB drive, should I start a post too?

@Victorious Secret and the mods won't take these out; just my ones only, right?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

its not though, if you want 4k your looking @980s simple as the 970 just isnt strong enough with or with out the ram issue

people are just looking for an excuse

You're wrong.

It can't do 4k/60fps but according to benchmarks it's more than enough for 4k/30fps which is what people expect at that resoultion.

And benchmarks didn't mention any stutter so people expected a card that could run 4k/30fps or high res textures which is not the actual case.

There's no excuse for what Nvidia did and many people wouldn't have bought the card if they would have known about this problem.

RTX2070OC 

Megabyte to be 1000 Kilobytes, 1 Gigabyte to be 1000 Megabytes, 1 Terabyte to be 1000 Gigabytes and so on. This is correct considering that kilo means 1000 and mega means 1000000 (106). However, computers calculate on base 2 and to them, 1 MB is actually 1024 kilobytes, 1GB is 1024MB and 1 TB is 1024GB. This difference in the method of computation is responsible for this "missing space."

Space Promised Displayed on a computer Difference 100GB 93.13GB 6.87GB 250GB 232.83GB 17.17GB 500GB 465.66GB 34.34GB 1TB 931.32GB 92.68GB 2TB 1862.64GB 185.36GB

Source : http://www.tweakandtrick.com/2013/07/lost-storage-space.html

We were being pedantic, no one is serious about this. 

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked. 

http://youtu.be/G_rKWdH-ox8?t=3s

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

MY post is borderline against COC,  the other two are valid points you just don't like them, and yours were just memes with no actual commentary about the topic which is directly against COC.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

We were being pedantic, no one is serious about this. 

i know , just in case someone is actually reading this, that doesn't know anything about this #theMoreYouKnow 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

MY post is borderline against COC,  the other two are valid points you just don't like them, and yours were just memes with no actual commentary about the topic which is directly against COC.

Being on topic about off topic posting - posting nothing but memes as a post is against COC and just basic decency on this forum, its not humorous and belongs on reddit. 

We are however allowed to be snarky with how we chose to make examples, and our examples were valid and presented with hardcore snark. Some people don't like snark like that. Its an acquired taste, I guess. 

Fact is the GTX 970 has 4GB of VRAM. Always has, always will. All 4 can be used. Nvidias likely solution will be to enforce what GPUs already do - keeping system processes that use VRAM on that "slower" section of VRAM while allowing games full access (unhindered access) to the 3.5GB portion. 

I hope all the justice warriors on this thread understand that when games are benchmarked for VRAM usage, they include the total VRAM use of the card. The card is handling system VRAM as well, not just the games. So your "4GB" cards of before weren't actually getting 4GB to the game anyways. Just clever tweaks to get system processes off to the side. Nvidia will have to come up with a way to do that for this card but in this case forcing as many system processes as possible onto that 512mb section so that the system doesn't do so much swapping on page files. 

But hey, lets not be rational and think of how to move on from this "disaster". Lets just rage against the machine? Or something. Idk. This horse is dead, buried, lit with napalm and then exhumed to be beaten again.

You're wrong.

It can't do 4k/60fps but according to benchmarks it's more than enough for 4k/30fps which is what people expect at that resoultion.

And benchmarks didn't mention any stutter so people expected a card that could run 4k/30fps or high res textures which is not the actual case.

There's no excuse for what Nvidia did and many people wouldn't have bought the card if they would have known about this problem.

30 fps is pretty bad. 

And this is why minimums (and an actual FPS/time graph) needs to be included with benchmarks. This was also an issue with the g3258, where it can maintain a very respectable average, but has very frequent frame drops. 

But also, let's not pretend that the "updated" specs would've meant anything to 99.99% of users who bought this card. I'd really like to know how knowing that the 970 only has 56 ROPs and 1.66mb cache would be enough to know that stuttering would occur -- and the smaller amount of fast VRAM isn't even an issue since the slower VRAM can be used for more common tasks where speed doesn't matter, and where VRAM would be utilized anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So that was the actual intention of all these shitposting? I haven't read the entire CoC but you guys show that thread crapping is not forbidden.

Doesn't stop people who are taking action.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

this thread is gonna get locked soon if you guyz go off the rails if you start throwing shit at each other 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

-snip-

But thats exactly the point. The drivers for the GTX970 can allocate the slow sectors of memory to be used by ordinary tasks -- i.e. the desktop. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

But thats exactly the point. The drivers for the GTX970 can allocate the slow sectors of memory to be used by ordinary tasks -- i.e. the desktop. 

Proof?

So that means no full 4GB of VRAM for game usage?

Proof?

Are you daft? 

How come the 970 uses the first 3.5gb before the slower .5gb? If drivers couldn't control memory allocation then the segments of memory that get used should be completely random -- meaning that even at 720p there could be stuttering, which isn't the case as the slower .5gb of VRAM only gets utilize when the game/application calls for more than 3.5gb. I.e. drivers can control memory allocation. 

So that means no full 4GB of VRAM for game usage?

No gpu can put 100% of the VRAM usage towards a game as there are still other things on your computer that utilize VRAM. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Are you daft? 

How does your cpu know to use cache instead of RAM or RAM instead of mass storage? Or how about this, how come the 970 uses the first 3.5gb before the slower .5gb? If you drivers couldn't control memory allocation then the segments of memory that get used should be completely random -- meaning that even at 720p there could be stuttering. 

Where is proof that you can you the slower 0.5 for desktop?

Show me a link.

Come on.

Your assumptions mean shit to me.

Where is proof that you can you the slower 0.5 for desktop?

Show me a link.

Come on.

Your assumptions mean shit to me.

Show me a 970 stuttering at 720p. 

If drivers couldn't control memory allocation then that slow .5gb of VRAM would be used 1/8th of the time regardless of the total amount of VRAM being used. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

there was a time 3 GB was high amount of RAM ,and only high end cards had them , now it has 4 GB and people still find a way to complain it's just 3.5, unless you have a 4k monitor don't even comment here about it 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Show me a 970 stuttering at 720p. 

SHow me that you can use a piece of  VRAM to specific tasks like you said.

No gpu can put 100% of the VRAM usage towards a game as there are still other things on your computer that utilize VRAM. 

Not when you are playing a game using an APU or Intel CPU with integrated graphics enabled (monitor cable plugged into mobo output). Then you can fully utilize the discrete GPU exclusively for the game while other GPU related tasks use the iGPU as default.

Edited by Shahnewaz

The 970 will use its continuous block of VRAM until 3.5 GB when it gets to 3.5 GB it stutters.

Thats why it doesnt stutter at 720p.

The 970 will use its continuous block of VRAM until 3.5 GB when it gets to 3.5 GB it stutters.

So then the drivers must be controlling which blocks of memory are being used then. 

Not when you are only playing a game using an APU or Intel CPU with integrated graphics enabled. Then you can fully utilize the GPU exclusively for the game while other GPU related tasks use the iGPU as default.

umm... no? The iGPU is only going to be rendering your desktop/everything else if that monitor is connected to onboard graphics -- which means it's not connected to the gpu. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Pretty much. Games with high VRAM requirements will stutter when it overcomes the restrictions implemented by the 970, and use the full 4GB of frame buffer.