This device disciplines teens with slow internet (VexBox)

ahhming

how bout go to your fucking kids room, take their computer and quit bein a lil fuck boi bitch ass parent, hiding behind your little goddamned internet-controlling box that you payed too much for,

ok now im done

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

all your parenting ideas are based on where you were born , is not necessarily credible rest of the world 

There is some truth to that, however, it really depends on how you view behavioral development.  Disciplinary techniques used in Australia and America vary only by culture to remote villages in east Asia.  In fact some research shows that the difference in disciplinary culture has more to do with access to technology/education which leads to tribal parents having better relationships with their children as a result.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkrepublishers.com%2F02-Journals%2FT%2520%26%2520T%2FT%2520%26%2520T-06-0-000-000-2008-Web%2FT%2520%26%2520T-06-1-000-000-2008-Abst-PDF%2FT%2520%26%2520T-06-1-059-08-089-Seema-K-N%2FT%26T-6-1-059-08-89-Seema-K-N-Tt.pdf&ei=p37NVLaiGIiR8QX0_ICQCg&usg=AFQjCNEA9UDbDVTjvbQkqj_wJkIT9LK9qQ&bvm=bv.85076809,d.dGc

Fact of the matter is that removing or throttling internet access is both legitimate and can healthy for developing children who are displaying signs of addiction or maladjustment to a varying social existence.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There is some truth to that, however, it really depends on how you view behavioral development.  Disciplinary techniques used in Australia and America vary only by culture to remote villages in east Asia.  In fact some research shows that the difference in disciplinary culture has more to do with access to technology/education which leads to tribal parents having better relationships with their children as a result.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkrepublishers.com%2F02-Journals%2FT%2520%26%2520T%2FT%2520%26%2520T-06-0-000-000-2008-Web%2FT%2520%26%2520T-06-1-000-000-2008-Abst-PDF%2FT%2520%26%2520T-06-1-059-08-089-Seema-K-N%2FT%26T-6-1-059-08-89-Seema-K-N-Tt.pdf&ei=p37NVLaiGIiR8QX0_ICQCg&usg=AFQjCNEA9UDbDVTjvbQkqj_wJkIT9LK9qQ&bvm=bv.85076809,d.dGc

Fact of the matter is that removing or throttling internet access is both legitimate and can healthy for developing children who are displaying signs of addiction or maladjustment to a varying social existence.

I grew up with dialup (used it as well until 2011), and I was able to use FB on it with no problems, and I'd just open multiple tabs in youtube and let them buffer overnight. Slowing  down internet speeds doesn't have the effect you think it would. In all honesty giving a middle ground isn't a proper punishment, you either have access to internet or you don't, slow speeds won't have that big an impact, if any.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The number of people in this thread saying words to the effect of "if you have to discipline your children you've failed as a parent." Wut? I think if you shy away from every disciplining your children then you've failed as a parent. You have to set limits and accepted behaviours and enforce penalties (and rewards) accordingly. And if a valid penalty is slowing their Internet right down for some length of time, that seems proportional and sensible to me.

More proportional than actively destroying their property or something. And the number of people ITT claiming that parents shouldn't discipline their children through fear of domestic abuse or murder is ridiculous.

I grew up with dialup (used it as well until 2011), and I was able to use FB on it with no problems, and I'd just open multiple tabs in youtube and let them buffer overnight. Slowing  down internet speeds doesn't have the effect you think it would. In all honesty giving a middle ground isn't a proper punishment, you either have access to internet or you don't, slow speeds won't have that big an impact, if any.

FB is a lot more graphical than it used to be, and YouTube doesn't have that feature any more. It has a set amount that it buffers and it will only start again once it's caught up. It's a pain in the arse when it comes to streaming LTT videos in 4K. Which in itself is maddening because I'm meant to be getting 75mbps download speeds.

i can understand where you are coming from , but it's a case by case basis , it will have an adverse affect in which the child grows , because growing up in USA or AUS is just not the same in other countries where they have different standards regarding what is acceptable and what is not 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Being able to use the net for somethings but not others would be factored into whether this device is used as a discipline tool or not.  The parent may just want to block games and video without preventing research and homework. 

i can understand where you are coming from , but it's a case by case basis , it will have an adverse affect in which the child grows , because growing up in USA or AUS is just not the same in other countries where they have different standards regarding what is acceptable and what is not 

If a child has adverse effects to having their net throttled or taken away, then that indicates a more serious problem for the child.  I.E and addiction or the child has been spoilt.  In such cases the best course of action is to actually continue the ban or throttling so the child can learn to overcome obstacles and develop a clearer understanding of actions and consequences. To not do so teaches the child they can have anything all they have to do is throw a tantrum and they'll win.  This is the foundation of personal development, rules and consequences to prepare the child for a reality in which they cannot always control and don't lose their shit when things go bad.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If a child has adverse effects to having their net throttled or taken away, then that indicates a more serious problem for the child.  I.E and addiction or the child has been spoilt.  In such cases the best course of action is to actually continue the ban or throttling so the child can learn to overcome obstacles and develop a clearer understanding of actions and consequences. To not do so teaches the child they can have anything all they have to do is throw a tantrum and they'll win.  This is the foundation of personal development, rules and consequences to prepare the child for a reality in which they cannot always control and don't lose their shit when things go bad.

You don't give an Drug addict drugs in low dosage by day to remove his addiction , you completely detox him of the drug , giving him low dosages only makes it worse , i know my terminology may be far off , if you want to make your children understand the consequence of their action ban the access , no use in throttling , where they will think they can get away with it , there's 3 ways this can go , a child does something bad 

• you ban the access 
  • give access but limited 
  • not do anything 

if you he don't do anything , they will likely continue to do the things that they weren't suppose to , if you ban access , they are more likely not to do it again , if you limit it thought  then the only conclusion they will come is , there's a balance of bad things that they can do and still get away with limited access , they will start to manipulate this exploit , you either ban or do nothing , there can not be in between when disciplining child  , if you want to discipline there are other things much effective than throttling an internet that can only adverse it , 

no one is born a killer , your terminology saying if this adverse it's a serious problem , well that's the whole point , if it is a serious problem , you can not take a middle ground approach when it comes to discipline , there's no half measures, you either ban or find some other way instead of making it worse  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

You don't give an Drug addict drugs in low dosage by day to remove his addiction , you completely detox him of the drug , giving him low dosages only makes it worse , i know my terminology may be far off , if you want to make your children understand the consequence of their action ban the access , no use in throttling , where they will think they can get away with it , there's 3 ways this can go , a child does something bad 

• you ban the access 
  • give access but limited 
  • not do anything 

if you he don't do anything , they will likely continue to do the things that they weren't suppose to , if you ban access , they are more likely not to do it again , if you limit it thought  then the only conclusion they will come is , there's a balance of bad things that they can do and still get away with limited access , they will start to manipulate this exploit , you either ban or do nothing , there can not be in between when disciplining child  , if you want to discipline there are other things much effective than throttling an internet that can only adverse it , 

no one is born a killer , your terminology saying if this adverse it's a serious problem , well that's the whole point , if it is a serious problem , you can not take a middle ground approach when it comes to discipline , there's no half measures, you either ban or find some other way instead of making it worse  

You're are right about the first and third option.  But the premise you rest the second on is not black and white. A consequence doesn't have to be all or nothing to be effective.  Learning grey areas is as much a part of development as anything else.  A throttled approach can be used effectively in any aspect of discipline,  for example banning comic books but not reference, banning cartoons in the morning but not documentaries in the evening, banning computer games but not banning educational programs for reading and math.   It all comes down to application and consistence.  Any form of discipline that is poorly applied will be ineffective just like any discipline that is inconsistent . 

This is ingeniously cruel. I kinda like it. :D

Such as waste of money this thing is flawed in so many ways. Seriously what is stopping someone from setting up a router to run alongside the vexbox, then whenever the internet is slowed down they could such switch wifi connections to the normal router. Anyone who is mildly tech savvy could get around this thing.

Such as waste of money this thing is flawed in so many ways. Seriously what is stopping someone from setting up a router to run alongside the vexbox, then whenever the internet is slowed down they could such switch wifi connections to the normal router. Anyone who is mildly tech savvy could get around this thing.

not even half likely. 

The number of people in this thread saying words to the effect of "if you have to discipline your children you've failed as a parent." Wut? I think if you shy away from every disciplining your children then you've failed as a parent. You have to set limits and accepted behaviours and enforce penalties (and rewards) accordingly. And if a valid penalty is slowing their Internet right down for some length of time, that seems proportional and sensible to me.

More proportional than actively destroying their property or something. And the number of people ITT claiming that parents shouldn't discipline their children through fear of domestic abuse or murder is ridiculous.

Hmm? Who said people who need to punish their kids aren't good parents? I don't know about anyone else, but my point wasn't about IF you have to punish your kid, it was IF you have to using this method.  A kid needs good discipline/punishment, and I don't find this form of "punishment" adequate at all.

I think you misunderstood them on the last bit as well. They weren't saying don't punish kids because it will cause them to get violent, they were just stating it would lead to (more) violence from teenagers. Which sadly might be true.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

My home internet is already 1 MB/s, no thank you.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Good thing that I: 

1. Didn't have completely dick hole parents
  2. Didn't have the internet anyways, I read books
  3. Am old enough now that I don't have to deal with bullshit like this

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

not even half likely. 

What do you mean by that? Do you not think a kid could get past this thing?

Worst invention ever whoever came up with this idea should be cursed with a dial up connection for the rest of his/her life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

What do you mean by that? Do you not think a kid could get past this thing?

I think some might,  but on the whole a lot more wouldn't know how to setup a router without their parents knowing.  Would you notice if someone plugged another cable into the back of your modem/router?

Not all parents are stupid and not all kids are that tech savvy. In fact I would argue that once you go past turning it on and using the software most kids wouldn't know how the rest of it worked.

in face :D

and in balls

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

meet vexbox a kickstarter which will be retail for $79 which can controls the internet speed of your router, slowing it down to 56k and dial-up.

With 99% of the routers you can set a bandwidth limit why would you waste $79?

With 99% of the routers you can set a bandwidth limit why would you waste $79?

For parents who are not tech savvy, also it is one push of a button as opposed to finding a pc and logging into the modem/router.

Actually that's exactly how addiction is treated, from helping people to quit smoking to prescribing methadone. Both use a system of decreasing doses over time. In cases where a physical dependency has developed just cutting off supply can be actively harmful. Not entirely sure what this has to do with grounding your children though.

Not entirely sure what this has to do with grounding your children though.

I think it was just an analogy, which is fine in a way as this type of psychology is hard to get the head around at the best of times. I have personally witnessed strong (almost heated) debate regarding appropriate juvenile discipline and development procedures amongst professionals. 

Hmm? Who said people who need to punish their kids aren't good parents? I don't know about anyone else, but my point wasn't about IF you have to punish your kid, it was IF you have to using this method.  A kid needs good discipline/punishment, and I don't find this form of "punishment" adequate at all.

I think you misunderstood them on the last bit as well. They weren't saying don't punish kids because it will cause them to get violent, they were just stating it would lead to (more) violence from teenagers. Which sadly might be true.

Why do people "have" to use this method? It's a tool that's there, and if this works, what's wrong with it? The fact that so many people here feel such terror at the thought of being back at dial up speeds implies to me that it might actually be a good consequence for bad behaviour.

"They weren't saying don't punish kids because it will cause them to get violent, they were just stating it would lead to (more) violence from teenagers. Which sadly might be true."

Read that sentence again. You're not saying don't punish your kids because it will cause them to get violent, but that punishing your kids will lead to more violence. If you are so terrified that your children's reaction to a sanction is to throw a tantrum so badly that you will be physically harmed as a result then you have serious issues here and you need to sort that out instead of just shying away from dealing with their behaviour altogether.

Why do people "have" to use this method? It's a tool that's there, and if this works, what's wrong with it? The fact that so many people here feel such terror at the thought of being back at dial up speeds implies to me that it might actually be a good consequence for bad behaviour.

"They weren't saying don't punish kids because it will cause them to get violent, they were just stating it would lead to (more) violence from teenagers. Which sadly might be true."

Read that sentence again. You're not saying don't punish your kids because it will cause them to get violent, but that punishing your kids will lead to more violence. If you are so terrified that your children's reaction to a sanction is to throw a tantrum so badly that you will be physically harmed as a result then you have serious issues here and you need to sort that out instead of just shying away from dealing with their behaviour altogether.

The context of my "have" was not intended to be construed like that. My was point was that if a parent uses this they are too afraid to find proper ways to punish their kid. Half punishments like this—which end up only being slight inconveniences—are not the right way. You teach them that if they screw up they can still do what they want. That their parents will not actually, so to say, "pull the trigger" when it comes to dealing with their behavior. And I think I saw three people say it was horrible, but I honestly doubt any of them would prefer no Internet to slow Internet as a grounding/punishment. That if they were "punished" this way they would be smug about it, knowing that even though they fucked up their parents still allow them to access the Internet, however limited that access was. They wouldn't learn a thing. "I can screw up as much as I want and still being able to Skype my friends, or complain on Facebook or watch Youtube!" A real punishment would be to take away their devices or Internet away all together. This method is no better than warning your child over and over again, "If you misbehave I'll do something about it" instead of actually doing something serious about it.

But I guess I just come from a time where punishments and dealing with your children actually meant dealing with them and teaching them a hard lesson when they screw up. I just don't see this appropriate at all.  -_-

I still think you are misunderstanding. I'm not afraid of anything like that, and I'm sure the others here aren't as well. I was simply stating something and what previous members had meant, which is that most likely this device will see an increase of children/teens murdering their parents (though I'm pretty sure most of us were just joking a bit with it). I for one will punish my children to the fullest of my capabilities when or if they screw up. Their potential murderous streak will not deter me (though I won't raise spoiled shits so they won't be like that). There was absolutely no indication in any of my posts, or other member's posts from what I have seen, that I/they would not punish my/their child due to a "fear of being murder" or that I/they, in general, "feared" a reaction from them.

Anyways, just know that it was not what I had meant by the comment.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |