This device disciplines teens with slow internet (VexBox)

ahhming

Wow, internet speeds the same as wifi slowed down. Yeah I've got that after 2 weeks.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Slow ass internet is worse than no internet.

No it isn't.  :mellow: 

This isn't a punishment. It is the action of a noodle brain parent too afraid to teach their children about consequences of their actions and behavior.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

No it isn't.  :mellow:

This isn't a punishment. It is the action of a noodle brain parent too afraid to teach their children about consequences of their actions and behavior.

eh, a lot of kids basically only watch youtube.  56k can't watch youtube.

It would be better if it randomly dumped packets on 1-20 minute random intervals, so games disconnect randomly.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

eh, a lot of kids basically only watch youtube.  56k can't watch youtube.

It would be better if it randomly dumped packets on 1-20 minute random intervals, so games disconnect randomly.

How the hell is letting your misbehaving kid still play video games and watch Youtube a punishment, even at slow internet? What kind of message are you sending them? "Oh, if you mess up, I'll just spoil you a little less."? Wow. Great parenting there. I'm sure those little jerks will grow up to be fine individuals with the complete understanding of actions have serious consequences in society. I'm absolutely sure of it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

How the hell is letting your misbehaving kid still play video games and watch Youtube a punishment, even at slow internet? What kind of message are you sending them? "Oh, if you mess up, I'll just spoil you a little less."? Wow. Great parenting there. I'm sure those little jerks will grow up to be fine individuals with the complete understanding of actions have serious consequences in society. I'm absolutely sure of it.

We're seeming to have a miscommunication here.  56K has ping times upwards of 300ms, and a download rate of about 4.5kb/s.  There's not going to be any decent gaming or youtube.

If they've only messed up a little bit, maybe only a small action is warranted.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

We're seeming to have a miscommunication here.  56K has ping times upwards of 300ms, and a download rate of about 4.5kb/s.  There's not going to be any decent gaming or youtube.

If they've only messed up a little bit, maybe only a small action is warranted.

Okay, I know what you mean. But the ability to still play or go online has not been taken from them, regardless of how slow their internet is etc. That is the problem. It isn't a punishment.

What could they have done to get a half punishment/punishment like this? If it was serious enough to warrant a punishment, then it obviously deserves it. Otherwise, why "punish" them at all? :huh:

makes shitty parents shittier. 

And they couldn't find a more accurate "mom" for their promo picture.

Okay, I know what you mean. But the ability to still play or go online has not been taken from them, regardless of how slow their internet is etc. That is the problem. It isn't a punishment.

What could they have done to get a half punishment/punishment like this? If it was serious enough to warrant a punishment, then it obviously deserves it. Otherwise, why "punish" them at all? :huh:

I think it could work for encouraging homework time instead of game time.  wikipedia should work fine on slow tubes, while bandwidth intensive media won't.

If my future kid wants to watch a youtube video so bad he'll watch it 10 seconds at a time and let it buffer for 5 minutes in between 10 second segments, that'll be his prerogative.  It'll be a terrible experience and we'll both know it.

they underestimate internet addicts.

"Let's slightly annoy kids, that'll get them into college!"

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

I think it could work for encouraging homework time instead of game time.  wikipedia should work fine on slow tubes, while bandwidth intensive media won't.

If my future kid wants to watch a youtube video so bad he'll watch it 10 seconds at a time and let it buffer for 5 minutes in between 10 second segments, that'll be his prerogative.  It'll be a terrible experience and we'll both know it.

What does it teach him? That even when he screws up he can still do what he wants only at a slight inconvenience? What exactly will you accomplish with this? You don't seriously see how this is not only ineffective but problematic to the society you unleash this pampered brat upon? :huh:

The world needs more parents like that guy who shot his daughter's laptop.

What does it teach him? That even when he screws up he can still do what he wants only at a slight inconvenience? What exactly will you accomplish with this? You don't seriously see how this is not only ineffective but problematic to the society you unleash this pampered brat upon? :huh:

The world needs more parents like that guy who shot his daughter's laptop.

It doesn't have to be because of a screw up.  I'd rather give the kid the responsibility of policing his own internet time as a teenager than being draconian and just enforcing internet windows via MAC addresses.  Sure, if he can't handle it, it can be readdressed.  Give kids responsibilities and let them hang themselves if they want imo.

EDIT:  remember, disciple doesn't have to be a punishment or because they've done something wrong or that needs to be corrected.  Self-disciple or self-control is a thing too.

It doesn't have to be because of a screw up.  I'd rather give the kid the responsibility of policing his own internet time as a teenager than being draconian and just enforcing internet windows via MAC addresses.  Sure, if he can't handle it, it can be readdressed.  Give kids responsibilities and let them hang themselves if they want imo.

EDIT:  remember, disciple doesn't have to be a punishment or because they've done something wrong or that needs to be corrected.  Self-disciple or self-control is a thing too.

You really think this will be self induced and not used as a form of "punishment" by the parental unit? The problem with today is that most children and teenagers aren't responsible. So I highly doubt any kid will monitor their online connectivity and activity, let alone purchase and use a device such as this to teach themselves responsibility or discipline.

No. This device was created for parents to use to  "punish" their children for their behavior or actions.

I think it's an awfully big assumption to claim to know the only uses for something.

Well the ISP/Telco Telstra won't have a use for it, 15GB gone then your on dialup speeds for 2-3 weeks.

PMSL

I think it's an awfully big assumption to claim to know the only uses for something.

Well, I think it is very naive to think that children/teenagers will begin self inducing responsibility and discipline learning sessions by buying a 80$ device to limit their speed on the internet. Especially since that device was created to punish them for, as the kickstarter says, "not doing their chores". You would have to have a saint for a kid, but the reality is most kids are the complete opposite and they won't teach themselves responsibility.

But sure. Could someone use this for another purpose? Definitely. Will they in the manner that you suggest? Highly improbably. Will parents attempt to "punish" their children in methods such as this? Most definitely. Today's parents are incapable of controlling and teaching their children and obviously, there are parents willing to do just that with this device.

Tbh I find more issues with today's 40 something parents with teenagers than tomorrow's 30 something parents with today's preteens.

Well the ISP/Telco Telstra won't have a use for it, 15GB gone then your on dialup speeds for 2-3 weeks.

HAHAHAHAHA good one that happens to my brother all the time

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

HAHAHAHAHA good one that happens to my brother all the time

It happens in areas that Telstra refuses to serve more than 2-3 DSL connections due to 'pair gain', and also in areas where the greedy (insert word of choice) refuse to upgrade their network (note the word refuse, my parents live in a black spot and got told point blank several times that Telstra is never going to do any upgrades in their area) and force people to spend up to $150 a month for 25GB (the price per GB increases after 15GB by a large amount, whilst it decreases up to 15GB, WTF?).

PMSL

Seriously, this world..

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The teenage murderers rate will quadruple overnight.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

today's parents are incapable of controlling and teaching their children and obviously, there are parents willing to do just that with this device.

O tempora o mores.

It was so much nicer back in the day when so many more places on Earth had corporal punishment as a widely accepted thing. Shitty things used to happen even more often, problem is that media can't sell statistics all that well. Or issues didn't exist and had no statistics of because they were swept under the rug. You know, back in the day when mental illnesses didn't exist.

But yeah parents that actually need to use this to control their kids' internet use pretty much has carbage can tier understanding of modern age electronics and might even, idk, block out communication etc. with friends and such because they think that the screen is being stared too much at. Then they start to wonder why the kids aren't spending any time home anymore but are with their friends or whatever.

The teenage murderers rate will quadruple overnight.

And most of those murders will be the parents...

Parents that do this to their children need a smack. I'd just change the WiFi password, with me it would be either you have access or you don't.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Parents that do this to their children need a smack. I'd just change the WiFi password, with me it would be either you have access or you don't.

How would you deal with the other methods of connecting to the internet though, like wire?  I would just take their devices away, lock 'em up or smash 'em up