AMD going aggressive with marketing

Well, I don't know about the 4k thing (easy to run games sure, definitely not AAA titles) but the rest I agree with (about the 280 being better than the 960).

RIP in pepperonis m8s

R9 280 for 4K gaming? 

alright then...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Ummm .... I really don't think the 280 is a good card for 4k. It is nice though to see AMD take the initiative though, they are still good cards and AMD has AMAZING prices at the moment. I'm contemplating picking up 2 290x but am waiting for the 300 series to see what they offer and for the price drops that normally come with the launch of a new card.

It's doable with the 280x in 3-way 4k, and the 280 is just a tad smaller than a 280x.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2285222/microsoft-shows-off-triple-4k-resolution-gaming-setup-with-amd-radeon-hd-7970

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

R9 280 for 4K gaming? 

alright then...

4K can be quite playable in many popular games, and for more demanding games you can play them very well on med-high settings.  

Something like a 280 or 280x can handle 4K for mainstream gaming easily, and play stuff like Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 on medium-high settings.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Well i have 2 older 7970s and they work fine for 4k, I have tested with just the one (debugging other issues) and i was still getting quite playable frame rates.

That said i was not paying anything crazy.

GPU: Gigabyte HD7970 | Mobo: ASUS Z97i PLUS | CPU: 4790K

HDD: Samsung 1tb SSD | Disp: 3x Asus 23.6" 1080p

RAM: 16gb Kingston Hyper X | Case: None

Yes, isn't it nice to see another massive corporation be proud of itself?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yes, isn't it nice to see another massive corporation be proud of itself?

amd has been sitting passively while nvidia is pushing out the marketing and thats why 970s have been flying off the shelves even though now  with the price drops r9 290x is the better buy. you can't fault a company for doing some marketing because clearly without marketing they can make a better product and still not get recognized 

you can't fault a company for doing some marketing

Unless it's Apple, of course.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Unless it's Apple, of course.

? it depends on the claims they make

so this is news now?  Maybe everybody should start making a thread every time they get spam in their email...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Meaning 4k on MMO games or league or Dotaaa... not triple 'A' titles boys

Hell... It's about time. 

the r9 280 is just a re-branded 7950 i believe, but u sure won't be able to push much out at 4k with it even on amd titles. 

"If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."   -Martin Luther King, Jr

Slay AMD! Slaaaayyyy!

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

the r9 280 is just a re-branded 7950 i believe, but u sure won't be able to push much out at 4k with it even on amd titles. 

You'd be surprised. Take a CPU-heavy game like an MMO and it'll play it in 4k. I mean sure, high-res pack Crysis3 or whatever isn't going to be an option at that resolution (but then I don't think that a configuration exists that will keep that type of game above 60fps at 4k resolution), but there are other games on the market that will run acceptably well at 4k with an HD7950/70.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I'm really liking this new marketing and how they're making a stab at Nvidia's 3.5GB douchebagery :P

Mid range cards are fine for 4K. You run most games on the highest settings and turn them down to medium/high for AAA titles.

Nice to see the smear campaigning made it into the GPU market. -_-

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Nice to see the smear campaigning made it into the GPU market. -_-

it was only a matter of time.  I don't know about anyone else, but when a company mentions their competitors the first thing I do is turn off, It reeks of used car salesman.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

it was only a matter of time.  I don't know about anyone else, but when a company mentions their competitors the first thing I do is turn off, It reeks of used car salesman.

Same for me. Tell me it is better, but don't smear them. I don't deal with desperation and scumbag tactics. And large power consumption and heat.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |