Can't decide between 960 or 970 STRIX

Hi.

My current system is:

• Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz (OC'ed 4 GHz)
  • Asus P8P67 PRO (LGA1155)
  • 4 x 4 GB Kingston (Part Number 9905403-181.A00LF)
  • 120 GB OCZ-VERTEX3 (SSD)
  • 500 GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-08ERMA0 (SATA)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
  • Corsair HX650
  • 2 x Asus VE247H monitors. I do however only play games on one of them, the other is for browsing/running KODI at the same time as i'm gaming.

I want a new GFX now, because i'm a bit tired of not being able to play latest (sort of) games. And i want to be able to run GTA 5 smooth when it comes out.

I've noticed lagging problems with WOW WOD, Assassins Creed 4 and Dirt Showdown.

I don't want any AMD/ATI cards, because of my experience with stability and drivers.

I'm not sure that the 960 will be enough, or i need to go with the 970 to be sure.

The price difference is 1000 DKK (around 150$) in my country.

Oh, and i'm going for Asus STRIX because of the 0db at idle, and general low noise

I hate fan noise.

Thank you for your answers :)

r9 290 or 290x is what you want.

Considering you are using multiple monitors and need the VRAM if you want to game in both eventually.

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card  ($269.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $269.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-27 08:22 EST-0500

How can you not choose? One is great while the other won't max o games at 1080p and is overpriced crap.

-snip-

Probably a 970, because a 960 is barely enough for 1080p at the moment.

Later when games use more VRAM, you will not be happy :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The GTX 960 will play the games you like a high to max setting fine for now. But if you want some future proofing I would get the 970 

"I don't want any AMD/ATI cards, because of my experience with stability and drivers."

r9 290 or 290x is what you want.

Considering you are using multiple monitors and need the VRAM if you want to game in both eventually.

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card  ($269.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $269.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-27 08:22 EST-0500

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

@DennisReneHolm

GTX 970 is the better option out of those two but AMD drivers are anything but crap nowadays. I've used them since the HD3870 until my previous card the HD7870xt and never had a single issue. You just need to make sure to install drivers cleanly (As you always should)

R9 290X (Especially the MSI lightning) is a great card and probably better value (If the price drops also occurred where you live)

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

"I don't want any AMD/ATI cards, because of my experience with stability and drivers."

New AMD drivers are much better IMO.

The omega drivers are sweet.

His past experience doesn't translate into the the current state of things.

Just my two cents.

Hi.

My current system is:

• Corsair HX650
  • 2 x Asus VE247H monitors. I do however only play games on one of them, the other is for browsing/running KODI at the same time as i'm gaming.

I want a new GFX now, because i'm a bit tired of not being able to play latest (sort of) games. And i want to be able to run GTA 5 smooth when it comes out.

I've noticed lagging problems with WOW WOD, Assassins Creed 4 and Dirt Showdown.

I don't want any AMD/ATI cards, because of my experience with stability and drivers.

I'm not sure that the 960 will be enough, or i need to go with the 970 to be sure.

Oh, and i'm going for Asus STRIX because of the 0db at idle, and general low noise

I hate fan noise.

2gb of VRAM made perfect sense for 1080p 2.5 years ago when I bought my 660 ti. today it just doesn't make sense

id go with the 970 out of the 2 but personally id go with an r9 290x because of the cost and it not having an issue using all of its 4gb vram. Ive never run into any major issues with AMD drivers, just the odd bug, but then again can you really say that Nvidias cards are worth the extra bucks??

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Hi.

My current system is:

• Corsair HX650

I hate fan noise.

If you have the funds and the money to purchase a 970, then buy one, it'll do much better and last you longer.

But the 960 is a good bang-for-the-buck option and will perform in 1080p well enough 

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

New AMD drivers are much better IMO.

The omega drivers are sweet.

His past experience doesn't translate into the the current state of things.

Just my two cents.

Fair point. 

Haven't tried the Omega drivers, but when i used the 290x a couple of months after release, the drivers were terribad.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Why do some ppl recommend AMD cards, if he doesn't want to use them?
If he wants a nvidia card, then let him have one. 

B2T: I would also go with the GTX 970. That extra amount of VRAM can be very helpful for open world games like GTA V

Get the best you can afford, if you can afford the 970, I would get that, if you can't then the 960 will be fine.

grab a 780 if AMD is not your thing. I've seen some cheap ones here and there, and the performance is solid across the board. I would recommend it over the 970. the whole dx12 compatibility thing is a PR spin.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I would recommend buying the 970.

If you don't feel like you can afford it right now, then wait a month and go for it then.

I also suggest hunting some special deals. I know you can use komplett.dk (i've used them a lot myself, even if i had trouble they were eager to help me out)

Every weekend (almost) they have a couple of special deals, and sometimes the 970 pops up here :)

When in doubt: C4

If you won't go with AMD, you REALLY want the 970. The 960 won't handle console ports smoothly. And it's also not worth the price tag.

Speaking of 970s, don't get the Strix. "but I want the 0db feature!", well, yeah, MSI has this feature, runs cooler, makes less noise, has better performance and can OC higher. Also, it tends to cost just as much, if not less than the Strix.

Other than that, if you realize you shouldn't need 0db, the Gigabyte Windforce OC offers even better cooling and performance for a lower price, at the expense of a bit extra noise and being huge.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I work as an IT-Supporter, and i see AMD products fairly regular, and i has not changed my mind :)

Oh, i forgot to mention that i'm also planning to steam stream games from my to a incomming NUC (new 2015 i3 version).

Does this demand any more than i've already said?

I would go with the 970 strix. the cooler, backplate and design are all good things about this card. Also dont buy a 960 in denmark, ssssooo overpriced. 

https://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010800872/strix-gtx970-dc2oc-4gd5(better cooler/design)

http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/2340647/evga-geforce-gtx-970-(bettersupport) 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I would go with the 970 strix. the cooler, backplate and design are all good things about this card. Also dont buy a 960 in denmark, ssssooo overpriced. 

https://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010800872/strix-gtx970-dc2oc-4gd5(better cooler/design)

http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/2340647/evga-geforce-gtx-970-(bettersupport) 

What about OP waits until nvidia fixes the issue with the 970 or launches a revised edition before he buys a 970?

What about OP waits until nvidia fixes the issue with the 970 or launches a revised edition before he buys a 970?

Welll, how do you know that they will change anything? Also at 1080p this is not a issue.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Welll, how do you know that they will change anything? Also at 1080p this is not a issue.

Lets wait and see shall we?

Nvidia can launch a gtx 970 TI for all we know.

It would be wise to wait.

@zappian

What needs a fix about the 970?
And if it does, won't they recall the product and offer a functional one, if they are faulty?