Could somebody enlighten me why Alienware is shunned upon?

GregButcher

Title says it all.

Don't worry guys im not planning to get one anyway, can build my own. Just wanted to know whats the big hate on it, I'm really out of the circle on this one.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

Technically, they are not "bad" computers, they just present horrible bang/buck and building a PC yourself would save a lot of money.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

They're not so great quality wise, cases usually have bad airflow, cheap motherboards and the PSU's are bad.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Because it's overpriced, and from what I heard, there has been a lot of quality concerns in the past. Save lots of money and build your own system :)

Cosmically overpriced for notoriously bad quality of both the product in general and the most awful, excruciating, bamboo-shoots-under-the-fingernails customer service experience that you will ever, ever have. Unless you're on Comcast, but I digress.

Cosmically overpriced for notoriously bad quality of both the product in general and the most awful, excruciating, bamboo-shoots-under-the-fingernails customer service experience that you will ever, ever have. Unless you're on Comcast, but I digress.

Dell support is general is awful.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

- Bad value for money

- Terrible cases

- Terrible PSU's

- Terrible customer support

Alienware is terrible by definition

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Just like apple, Crap inside nice case. (Most of the time case isn't even a good quality.

Apple component quality is pretty top notch actually, where as Dell use pretty poor motherboards and PSUs in the Alienwares

However I will defend Alienware laptops, which (while not the cheapest) are decent gaming laptops!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A friend of mine has an alienware laptop, owned it for a while now, when the GPU blew in it, a technician went on site and replaced it there, he had a good experience. Dunno if the service cost extra money or anything though.

Anyway thanks all for replying, i kinda suspected this, I just thought there's something more to it. :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

Apple component quality is pretty top notch actually, where as Dell use pretty poor motherboards and PSUs in the Alienwares

However I will defend Alienware laptops, which (while not the cheapest) are decent gaming laptops!

I agree Apple parts are top notch quality.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

i never knew alienware is like this..though I am already suspecting something bad since I am I not hearing anything about it..

my colleague has been jeering some of us "wow he'll be getting alienware now"..seems he's just in it for the bling factor

Title says it all.

Don't worry guys im not planning to get one anyway, can build my own. Just wanted to know whats the big hate on it, I'm really out of the circle on this one.

At one point Alienware made the best products and offered a value that wasn't available from anybody else, but then they changed. Becoming number 1 was terrible for Alienware, since their main focus changed from "lets make great gaming machines" to "lets make the most amount of profit". The quality then deteriorated and this hurts the overall value since the statement "or I could just build my own machine" became valid again. Speaking of value, just like how Apple has the "Apple tax", Alienware has the same thing, and why? Because "innovative designs" and added features like LED lighting that have no real benefits but add to the value. Anymore now, you are just paying for a hopped up Dell desktop(studio? Inspiron? Don't care about this stuff lol), but with a much higher price tag. Now, do they make garbage products? No, its just that there are higher quality alternatives and ones that offer a better overall value.(aaaannnnnd my brain turned off, so I'll stop here)

Because they're overpriced, really. Yeah, they perform well, but they have you pay an arm and a leg to have the best. 

Plus the looks are guady and appeal to 12 year olds IMO

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

It would be quicker to tell you their good points....

post-104353-0-25961600-1422007950.gif

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Dell used to make good gaming laptops back in the day, under their own high-end XPS branding instead of this Alienware crap, which gives 12-year-olds wet dreams and gives us uncontrollable spasms of cringe. The laptops are bulky, the build quality shoddy and the overall experience of using one being... hyped at best.

We, as in computer enthusiasts like us, have a sort of sixth sense for using computers, like when a computer is poorly built out of cheap materials, we can tell that it will end poorly just by feeling it or using it. That's how I know which computers are possibly good and which ones will probably die on me or break in my hands.

Just suffice to say that for the price of Alienware computers, you can buy much, much better machines elsewhere, like from Asus, Maingear, Digital Storm, or that ASRock M8 barebones PC, which I rather unabashedly used LinusTechTips' YouTube thumbnail caption of to describe it as "The Loli of Computers."

..., but then they changed.

Everything changed when the fire nation attacked?:D

Just like apple, Crap inside nice case. (Most of the time case isn't even a good quality.

Apple for the most part isn't aimed at hardcore programmers and workstation users (because even they know that a similarly-priced workstation PC will absolutely tear theirs inside out when it comes down to it). Apple makes computers for users who aren't that into computers, but want to own one that is easy-to-use, simple, and good-looking. And Apple computers are certainly very well-built, and pretty reliable if you take care of them. The hardware isn't top-of-the line, of course it isn't, the boards are made by Foxconn, but they're not bottom-of-the-barrel components, either. Of course, in terms of raw power, they're not good, like, at all, they make people like us cringe at how they would fare against a similarly-priced PC, but again, that's not what Apple computers are about. They do well at what they're used for, which is generally content consumption rather than content creation or alteration. or gaming, for that matter. While I wouldn't approach them for any reason other than to watch my dad nerd out, I do understand and appreciate Apple's value in the PC market in general (and yes, they are PCs, because PC stands for Personal Computer. basic terminology, here.) I also think they look really nice. Not in my personal tastes, you understand, but they are objectively very good-looking.

I really hope that you've at least used an apple computer before you dismissed them all as crap, because while from a PCMR, raw-power standpoint, I would wholeheartedly agree with you, as a person who likes good, informed, scientific discussions, and also as someone who grew up using both PCs and Apple computers... No. You need to back up your claims. Dude.

Dell support is general is awful.

not for buisness grade support though (servers u know)

but theyd get killed otherwhise anyways

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

Generally bad price to value ratio, using their brand as a selling point and misleading/overdone marketing.

Their products aren't bad, but their whole business practice is just kinda shit.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

They spend more money on adding LED and advertising than actually bringing performance.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU