New service allows you to earn money with your free disk space ( Rent your Hard Disk Space)

ahhming

introducing Storj

Stroj is a  cloud storage service that can’t  be censored and monitored and which never is down.
it uses a peer to peer network and make their free hard disk space available to other users. Files are encrypted on the user’s computer before they are transferred to the network and stored on rented hard disk space.

To store data on Storj, users first have to install the software MetaDisk which splits files that should be uploaded in blocks of 8MB or 32MB. After splitting, each block is encrypted, then distributed through the network and then stored on DriveShares which is free space on HDDs offered by other Storj users. The service regularly checks the integrity and availability of the uploaded files.

Because each block has an unique hash, it should also be possible to add illegal content to a so called ‘grey list’. Users that provide HDD space can opt whether they want to store greylisted files or not. Storj is currently in beta and it’s not known when the service becomes available for the general public.

do note that the currency is in a form of Storjcoin X,(SJCX) a digital value which can be exchange for real money

source:
http://storj.io/

http://www.myce.com/news/service-allows-you-to-earn-money-with-your-free-disk-space-74262/

*whitepaper

http://storj.io/storj.pdf

Interesting

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

I think that's a good idea, since I have a lot of room. But just how safe is it? We can't see what's on the rented free space, can we?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Yeah no...that's just a terrible idea all around.

yeah I agree

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

You won't make alot of profit holding several big HDDs and offer them to this

@looney something for you :P?

I don't think this is the best of ideas tbh

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

TL;DR

How much do you earn for renting 1TB for example?

TL;DR

How much do you earn for renting 1TB for example?

anywhere between $10 for dropbox), $45 for amazon cloud and $80 for sugarsync  - per month according to their site  (not guaranteed) 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

And what if you power off your hard drive entirely? I don't like the idea to be honest.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

And what if you power off your hard drive entirely? I don't like the idea to be honest.

you don't get paid, the data is stored in a redundant fashion like raid 5, so if drives go offline its all ok. when a file is added to the network it splite up across most of it, so each drive only hold a very small portion of the data.

This will just slaughter people who have a data cap on their internet.

And if anyone considers this, don't rent out SSD space. Because you can't rent out write cycles, they are lost permanently.

I wouldn't trust all these fancy e-currencies anyway.

only uploading or downloading files is taxing, the proof of storage is not taxing on your drives or internet.

I think its a interesting idea, and it is pretty complex. check out the original white paper by Microsoft and UMD about it. I don't know how close this is too the original whit paper.

https://www.cs.umd.edu/~elaine/docs/permacoin.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIJim7JKW_M

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

@ahhming i see STORJ in video not STROJ. So fix your typos :)

Stroj = machine in some europe countries :P

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Wonder how laws will change with this service.  Because if you are caught with an illegal file on your pc then you own it don't you?  So if you happen to get your computer seized then you will get in trouble for any file from this service that happens to be illegal in your area.  It's a terrible idea IMO and just a way to keep something like what happened to PB from happening to someone.  Instead they have several people take the fall.

Christ that could go so badly so quickly

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

Yh... Don't think its a good idea.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Would be so troll to just delete everything on your hard drive, good idea though easy money for no work

Wonder how laws will change with this service.  Because if you are caught with an illegal file on your pc then you own it don't you?  So if you happen to get your computer seized then you will get in trouble for any file from this service that happens to be illegal in your area.  It's a terrible idea IMO and just a way to keep something like what happened to PB from happening to someone.  Instead they have several people take the fall.

you only have like 1 MB out of the 1 GB file the user uploaded to the network. your drive will just look like random data. think of it as you holding only 1% of each persons stuff out of 100 people. so your drive is full but its full of random incoherent things.

Would be so troll to just delete everything on your hard drive, good idea though easy money for no work

the network is designed with redundancy and if a drive goes offline o data is lost. kind of like raid 5

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Hard on the drives, hard on the network, security and legal implacations...

Not for me.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

For obvious reasons I would never rent out the drive space on the computers I actually use, but I would totally throw together a budget build with a ton of storage purely for this. I think I may have found my next project.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

this is a bad idea all around, maybe I'll through an old computer together and through in a 500GB HDD that's laying about and see what happens...

because i am genuinely curious

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

There's no way my community would be able to have something like this. I'm probably the only one in a couple mile radius to have a high end PC and I certainly do not want people using laptop drives on this.

Good luck.

Sounds shady AF

CPU: Intel i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig H5 Motherboard: ASrock Z97 Extreme4  RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series 8GB GPU: Powercolor R9 390 PCS+

Case Fans: 3X Phobya NB-Eloop 120mm in front + 1X Noiseblocker BlackSilentPRO 140mm, rear HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB  PSU: Corsair CX600M  Case: Corsair Air 540 ODD: LG Supermulti (Yeah whatever)  Monitors: LG25UM55-P, LG 22EN43