In Blind Test, Nexus 6 Beats iPhone 6 Camera

Suika

iphone-6-plus-nexus-6.png

*click for source*

I don't know about you, but I have always assumed the iPhone had the best camera among all smartphones. It was kind of an educated assumption, but I was proven wrong recently by PhoneArena's blind photo test between the iPhone 6 Plus and Nexus 6.

The Nexus 6, however, managed to beat Apple's smartphone in our latest blind camera comparison. And by a huge margin, at that. Out of the 3662 readers who voted, over three quarters chose Google's Nexus 6 handset. The iPhone 6 Plus, on the other hand, managed to collect less than 23% of all votes.

These are average user votes rather than people who take photography more seriously than the average consumer, but I guess these kinds of cameras are for the average consumer. If you're trying to take professional photos from a phone... I don't know what to tell you.

462fd36172b54c05e9cd44e2b3354f9f.png

I can't say which one I prefer for certain, but I will admit that both phones did have their scenarios where I'd prefer that camera specifically. I'm not a photographer, though. Here are some of the shots, labeled of course, that were judged upon.

a8e9518cbfaa58fb4f0ec7f74950913b.png

9b029e60be2d86645d48625c292e937e.png

ab8eac977a1967ce712fefd39ec30271.png

262d68073c1d7c7b272bc871e4600386.png

So what do you think? Do you think the Nexus is better or the iPhone is better? Or are you just happy that an Android may have finally done better than an iPhone in camera quality?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

99% of the photos i've seen taken from the Nexus 6 look like GARBAGE. 

The Iphone wins. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

shits rigged ofc they are going to vote for the n6 when they used picture that you get like less that 10% of the time you use it, also the bigger half of the camera problems the n6 has is whit the bloody app, not the sensor itself

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I think this contradict linus's opinion on the camera comparison. 

Also, people on phone arena love to bash the iphone. 

This is not a candid review. 

The Iphone actually looks better in most of the pictures except for the one with the roof, not sure whats up with that.

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

iphone

need more shots just 4 is not enough to draw a good result

need low light 

dawn

bright af light

and are theese  auto or manual? settings etc

Oh no, not this. Of course, the Nexus6 may have a good sensor, but it's being held back by the frigging app. Linus said the camera app is garbage. And personally, the pictures by the nexus 6 look like garbage. you should have a poll on what your opinion is here on LTT.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Why would you ask blind people which photo is better?

Haha, they are not blind, blind in this case means they had to vote before knowing which phone took the different pictures

The nexus clearly looks better in almost all of these pics, but it's maybe by like 3% and a lot of it is color accuracy. Overall the iphone has a better camera. Also, they should do this test for what phones are really used for. Upload pictures to instagram and see which one looks better. I'd bet 100 dollars its the iphone. Software optimization is powerful. 

Oh no, not this. Of course, the Nexus6 may have a good sensor, but it's being held back by the frigging app. Linus said the camera app is garbage. And personally, the pictures by the nexus 6 look like garbage. you should have a poll on what your opinion is here on LTT.

I went ahead and opened a poll, but I feel like I know which direction it'll go in.

The nexus clearly looks better in almost all of these pics, but it's maybe by like 3% and a lot of it is color accuracy. Overall the iphone has a better camera. Also, they should do this test for what phones are really used for. Upload pictures to instagram and see which one looks better. I'd bet 100 dollars its the iphone. Software optimization is powerful. 

The original source has more photos, I wonder if it was just those particular shots and if PA decided to cherry pick them.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I would assume the blind are not very good at picking the best camera. 

On a serious note though, post processing actually does count for average users, so if you know what you're doing and photoshop em later on sure the Nexus 6 can probably win. If you point and shoot however, which is how 99.99999999999% of cellphone cameras are used however, I think the iphone 6 wins.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I don't believe it. Android sucks at image processing.  iPhone's camera might not have the highest resolution lens but the image processing is far far far superior on iOS compared to Android. That's why even with an inferior camera lens an iPhone takes better pictures.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't believe it. Android sucks at image processing.  iPhone's camera might not have the highest resolution lens but the image processing is far far far superior on iOS compared to Android. That's why even with an inferior camera lens an iPhone takes better pictures.

Hey hey now, don't be hating on all Android cameras. The OnePlus One takes great pictures.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

iphone

need more shots just 4 is not enough to draw a good result

need low light 

dawn

bright af light

and are theese  auto or manual? settings etc

Another big problem is it's also very dependant on the person taking the picture. I've same some god-awful pictures taken with an iPhone and I've seen some amazing ones -- knowing how to take a good picture is a really important part that a lot of times isn't even considered in these comparisons. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hey hey now, don't be hating on all Android cameras. The OnePlus One takes great pictures.

Not without some processing of your own. I saw the RAW samples and what you could do with them it's amazing.

My Note 3 also takes some great pictures in day light but completely craps the bad at low light.

There are good photo taking phones on the Android side but none can claim to have the point and shoot don't worry about the processing style that the iPhone has.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Testing like this is very stupid. There are actual technical and measurable ways of determining image quality. If you want a real test go to a site like http://www.dxomark.com/ Not to mention that unless both of these phones are outputting RAW images then they both are also doing in-camera post-processing to the JPEG images they output. Also, almost all of the sample pictures were taken in very similar lighting conditions and were fairly optimal lighting conditions at that.

I saw this comment on the source site and just about beat my head off my desk due to the ignorance.

It just made sense that a 13mp camera would beat a 8mp camera. That and the faster processor on the nexus 6 would help to sharpen images.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Testing like this is very stupid. There are actual technical and measurable ways of determining image quality. If you want a real test go to a site like http://www.dxomark.com/ Not to mention that unless both of these phones are outputting RAW images then they both are also doing in-camera post-processing to the JPEG images they output. Also, almost all of the sample pictures were taken in very similar lighting conditions and were fairly optimal lighting conditions at that.

I saw this comment on the source site and just about beat my head off my desk due to the ignorance.

Its just not about megapixel size, it's more than that, such as shutter speed, aperture, etc.

But you need more megapixels brah.

Before looking at the pictures I expected the iPhone to be better. However I think 3/4 of the pictures look better on the Nexus so that's what I voted for in the poll. Mainly think the iPhone's photos look a bit blurry. Probably resolution more than anything.

Those are stills.. the iphone has better image processing; sorry but the pics I've seen from friends point that the iphone is the winner.