In Blind Test, Nexus 6 Beats iPhone 6 Camera

Suika

These "blind" tests are ridiculous. These types of tests only determine what type of photos the person likes, not a true measurement of the camera and the quality of its photos.

Rather use DxOmark, a website where their measurements are used by professionals whether or not they spend thousands of dollars on equipment.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I see tonnes of artifacts and blurryness on the iPhone's side. 

Me too.I thought it was just my eyes at first because I just woke up. But they all do look blurrier than the Nexus 6's..Also,could it be than because Nexus 6 has higher screen reso than the iPhone 6  the pics taken look much better in person? 

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I see tonnes of artifacts and blurryness on the iPhone's side. 

actually, after looking at it again I can see what you mean but it's feels off, I have friends with Iphone 6 and 6+ and I'm pretty sure the pictures looks much sharper than what we see here, especially on the last picture with the flowers, it looks like a picture painted using watercolour. It might just be a difference in amount of pixels though, I'm not the person anyone should go to for preferences on photos and art anyway :P

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

And yet @LinusTech said it was horrible. Uh, no. I've always thought that the N6 had a great camera, and this only proves it.

COMIC SANS

I don't know why everyone has such a love for the iPhone 6 camera. I think everything it produces looks artificial and surrealistic. A lot of the pictures have a greenish hue too imo.

Besides they both suck compared to the xperia z2 and z3 pictures. But the fact that I own a Z2 doesn't make me biased right? ;-)

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

I don't believe it. Android sucks at image processing.  iPhone's camera might not have the highest resolution lens but the image processing is far far far superior on iOS compared to Android. That's why even with an inferior camera lens an iPhone takes better pictures.

[Citation Needed]

I will trust DXO mark, iPhone wins for both photo and video

It really bothers me that they haven't tested the Note 4 yet. It's almost as if they are avoiding testing it.

Anyway when I looked at the pictures I thought the Nexus 6 looked better as well. I think it's a better test to take pictures of an ISO 12233 chart and other posters instead. You can control the lighting, it is designed to test all aspects of a photo, nothing will move between shots and so on.

of the pics that loaded for me on their site, all the pics seam to be done in pretty well lit areas...  this isn't where phone cameras struggle so much, they look fine for your average consumer.  where they really struggle are low light pics.  I'd be much more interested in which performs better there...

The other thing I like better about the iPhone camera is that it usually takes the pic faster (comparing my Nexus 5 (and pretty much every other Android phone I was able to play with) to my old iPhone 5S).  its annoying when I click the pic button and then 3 seconds later it takes the actual pic.  my old iPhone did that once in a while too, but the delay was typically shorter.  and the iPhone did it sometimes, where as the Nexus does it most times I go to take a pic.  But maybe they fixed it on the Nexus 6, haven't played with one yet.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Testing like this is very stupid. There are actual technical and measurable ways of determining image quality. If you want a real test go to a site like http://www.dxomark.com/ Not to mention that unless both of these phones are outputting RAW images then they both are also doing in-camera post-processing to the JPEG images they output. Also, almost all of the sample pictures were taken in very similar lighting conditions and were fairly optimal lighting conditions at that.

I saw this comment on the source site and just about beat my head off my desk due to the ignorance.

I do multiple facepalms when people tell me my D800e is so amazing because it has so many megapixels compared to my older 7D.

Well...kinda. D800e has a far better sensor and no filter to hamper the IQ, its also rocking better processing and the downside is hilariously large RAW files that I sometimes debate not putting on my drives at all, cause they are massive. 

This just feeds back into marketing. Marketers love marketing image quality nonsense, people love hearing about how great their cameras are. 99.999999999% of the population isn't smart enough to give a damn about these tests. I buy lenses ranging in the thousands of dollars, I don't have time for these goddamn MTF charts and everything else. 

Does the body/lens produce results I THINK are good for MY shooting? Yes? Buy it. No? Move on to some other combination. Its e-peen measuring at its finest. Even with DXO Mark. Its a nice place to start, but I couldn't be giving less of a damn about the T-Stop of my lenses. Honestly. 

Here are two shots. I'm not going to tell you which camera took which, I will tell you that they were processed using Lightroom 5 and PS CS6, and uploaded via a popular social site. Go ahead. Tell me which did which. Different subjects, but similar composition and similar settings when the shot was taken. 

1276925_10152115454301653_85079345155363

1900472_10152115455026653_56859118605919

It really bothers me that they haven't tested the Note 4 yet. It's almost as if they are avoiding testing it.

Anyway when I looked at the pictures I thought the Nexus 6 looked better as well. I think it's a better test to take pictures of an ISO 12233 chart and other posters instead. You can control the lighting, it is designed to test all aspects of a photo, nothing will move between shots and so on.

Yeah no idea why they havnt tested it, strange

the test photos are all a bit shit, makes both cameras look a bit poo, plus any higher MP camera when cropped in will look sharper than a lower one (well all other things being equal)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Here are two shots. I'm not going to tell you which camera took which, I will tell you that they were processed using Lightroom 5 and PS CS6, and uploaded via a popular social site. Go ahead. Tell me which did which. Different subjects, but similar composition and similar settings when the shot was taken. 

-image-

-image-

Ehh... I hope you realize you can't do comparisons if you are not even taking photos of the same thing.

That's like saying "which sounds best, FLAC or MP3" and then it's not even the same song. Having applied post processing to them, and also run them though facebook's really aggressive compression are two other things you shouldn't have done if you wanted a fair comparison.

99% of the photos i've seen taken from the Nexus 6 look like GARBAGE.

The Iphone wins.

You're fucking high babe

Quit lying

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Oh no, not this. Of course, the Nexus6 may have a good sensor, but it's being held back by the frigging app. Linus said the camera app is garbage. And personally, the pictures by the nexus 6 look like garbage. you should have a poll on what your opinion is here on LTT.

People shouldn't always just listen to what Linus says. Take other phone news source into account.

The app can use an upgrade but the pictures look great in the majority of shooting conditions.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

You're fucking high babe

Quit lying

I'm not. Looks like someone smeared vaseline on top of it

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I'm not. Looks like someone smeared vaseline on top of it

Well then someone had a defective camera.

Hail Sithis!