AMD CEO Dr Lisa Su, interviewed (Strategy, Radeons, CPUs, consoles )

ahhming

AMD aiming for 16 ,14,10,7 nm

AMD is Dreaming LOL

intel has 22 nm CPUs and soon will hav 14 nm AMD has 28 nm

guess who is going to have 10, 7 nm CPUs firs :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

AMD is Dreaming LOL

The whole industry knows Intel will make it to 10nm,7,5, and 3 first, but AMD will be on 14/16 in 2016 assuming Samsung can work out its massive yield problems, problems which will spill over into Global Foundries which is using Samsung's foundry tech.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

For anyone complaining about AMD being more APU focused, keep in mind Intel chips are essentially APUs with a crappy graphics core that no one will realistically use if they can help it. If AMD can deliver a more powerful CPU core and still have onboard graphics that's actually usable beyond light desktop work, it will be a nice thing. Will probably retire the 2500k in 2016 with something from AMD.

For anyone complaining about AMD being more APU focused, keep in mind Intel chips are essentially APUs with a crappy graphics core that no one will realistically use if they can help it. If AMD can deliver a more powerful CPU core and still have onboard graphics that's actually usable beyond light desktop work, it will be a nice thing. Will probably retire the 2500k in 2016 with something from AMD.

You seem to have been away, so let me enlighten you: Intel's HD 5500 graphics just beat the Tegra X1 in every single 3DMark test and as a score such that the HD 6000 SKUs will outperform Kaveri (doubling the core count). There's a very long thread about it I started about a week or so ago (Tegra X1 news being new of course).

Intel's iGPUs aren't so crappy anymore.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Lisa Su seems to have enthusiasm, and that is a lot more than can be said for a lot of high level executives.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

Lisa Su seems to have enthusiasm, and that is a lot more than can be said for a lot of high level executives.

It's just too bad she decided to kill the Mullins prototype tablet. Everyone was raving. It just looks like more weakness from AMD at the moment combined with everything else they've seemed to have abandoned. I realize they're restructuring and preparing for a new war with Zen, but it does shake lesser minds.

What I know is that AMD throwing pretty sweet lies for the past few years.

What I know is that AMD throwing pretty sweet lies for the past few years.

Under Rory Read's leadership ind you.

I somewhat disagree with that strategy. If Excavator really does bring that much extra performance, then releasing a small number of products to refresh the enthusiast line which its own fan base believes it abandoned would bolster support, even if clock rates suffered a bit.

I've always been objective. You're just too prideful to realize it.

Heh, well the old man made a Q6600 last almost 8 years. Haswell/Broadwell easily could.

Bdver4 does in fact bring forth some radical architecture changes and improvements. Tho the overall performance gains I don't think is enough to justify mass production of new FX chips. Even if we are talking about at least a 20% increase in IPC over Bdver2 (factoring in Bdver3 was a 11% increase over Bdver2). Surely it would give consumers more reassurance in AMD tho it can also hurt the company financially. It's better for them to sell off excessive Bdver2 stock instead of investing millions more into manufacturing a slightly better chip. Keep in mind Carrizo is 30% more efficient over Kaveri and not necessarily 30% more IPC (performance/watt). It was a massive undercut in power consumption which is why it is targeted to replace their existing mobile A-Series.

If all you do is generic daily tasks certainly. Even an Athlon II x3 450 would be fine for another 5-10 years. Tho once you drop it into comparison to offerings available today it simply just doesn't stand a chance. Using the Q6600 as an example sure it will get "the job done" today. Tho the chip launched at nearly $1k USD and then stabilized in the market at $530 and then eventually to $266. Now compare that to a microprocessor available today. The G3258 comes in at just $70. Meanwhile the dual core at stock clocks completely slaughters the Q6600 in both single and multiple thread workloads. The point coming across is the industry advances at such a repetitive rate that over the course of 5 years it doesn't matter what you buy. It all will be dated in comparison to the latest technology available.

AMD is Dreaming LOL

You honestly think node improvements is the only thing that matters? Broadwell only seen a 4% increase in performance due the die shrink. The only major beneficial factor of the smaller fabrication process is power improvements. AMD has been proving you don't need to change nodes to make massive power consumption cuts. Carrizo is 30% more efficient than Kaveri while both are built on the same exact 28nm SHP node.

You honestly think node improvements is the only thing that matters? Broadwell only seen a 4% increase in performance due the die shrink. The only major beneficial factor of the smaller fabrication process is power improvements. AMD has been proving you don't need to change nodes to make massive power consumption cuts. Carrizo is 30% more efficient than Kaveri while both are built on the same exact 28nm SHP node.

nvidia proved that too GTX 660 ti needs 150 w and almost 2x faster GTX 970 needs 145 w both are 28 nms

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

This interview is at CES.  Linus how about you get an interview with Dr. Su.  Its not like anyone is breaking down her door to interview her.

***  Also please watch the interview.  She didn't bring up wearables, she was asked about it.  Her major point was the she wants stronger CPUs and GPUs.

That was a great interview.  The more I hear her talk the more I love her.  As an AMD fan, I trust her along with Jim Keller, Raja Koduri and Mark Papermaster.  This isn't going to be overnight and we know we won't see anything good until 2016.  So intel has time to respond but if intel keeps worrying about wearables, drones, and smart phones AMD will knock them down off their high horse in terms of the Desktop and Laptop Market.

Servers, Cell Phones, Tablets and wearables are a crowded market that can go down many paths.

Remember the CPU and GPU wars go back and forth.  Actually before watching the interview and just reading the comments first and off what other articles I've read, I thought Intel would rule all processors.  Intel may overextend themselves though.

Bdver4 does in fact bring forth some radical architecture changes and improvements. Tho the overall performance gains I don't think is enough to justify mass production of new FX chips. Even if we are talking about at least a 20% increase in IPC over Bdver2 (factoring in Bdver3 was a 11% increase over Bdver2). Surely it would give consumers more reassurance in AMD tho it can also hurt the company financially. It's better for them to sell off excessive Bdver2 stock instead of investing millions more into manufacturing a slightly better chip. Keep in mind Carrizo is 30% more efficient over Kaveri and not necessarily 30% more IPC (performance/watt). It was a massive undercut in power consumption which is why it is targeted to replace their existing mobile A-Series.

If all you do is generic daily tasks certainly. Even an Athlon II x3 450 would be fine for another 5-10 years. Tho once you drop it into comparison to offerings available today it simply just doesn't stand a chance. Using the Q6600 as an example sure it will get "the job done" today. Tho the chip launched at nearly $1k USD and then stabilized in the market at $530 and then eventually to $266. Now compare that to a microprocessor available today. The G3258 comes in at just $70. Meanwhile the dual core at stock clocks completely slaughters the Q6600 in both single and multiple thread workloads. The point coming across is the industry advances at such a repetitive rate that over the course of 5 years it doesn't matter what you buy. It all will be dated in comparison to the latest technology available.

The Q6600 is about $65 right now.

I didn't at all say node shrinks are everything. After all Intel develops ground-up new architectures on a node after it's been tested. If you think about it it's the same thing as the BD revisions on the 28nm process, but with only 1 revision per node.

Also, 4% higher on Intel is a large leap compared to 4% on AMD. Lastly, that's a bit disingenuous about IPC gains. It's 3-4% IPC increase on average. 40% faster float performance is nothing to scoff at for example as Broadwell gained over Haswell.

lol Nvidia needed 3 gens to finaly beat the good old tahiti. :D.

Those good old Tahiti cards still go strong now days.

7970GHz can still maxout 98% of todays games at 1080p.

Then you havent played dragon age inq my friend.

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

This interview is at CES. Linus how about you get an interview with Dr. Su. Its not like anyone is breaking down her door to interview her.

*** Also please watch the interview. She didn't bring up wearables, she was asked about it. Her major point was the she wants stronger CPUs and GPUs.

That was a great interview. The more I hear her talk the more I love her. As an AMD fan, I trust her along with Jim Keller, Raja Koduri and Mark Papermaster. This isn't going to be overnight and we know we won't see anything good until 2016. So intel has time to respond but if intel keeps worrying about wearables, drones, and smart phones AMD will knock them down off their high horse in terms of the Desktop and Laptop Market.

Servers, Cell Phones, Tablets and wearables are a crowded market that can go down many paths.

Remember the CPU and GPU wars go back and forth. Actually before watching the interview and just reading the comments first and off what other articles I've read, I thought Intel would rule all processors. Intel may overextend themselves though.

Doubting Intel has been the downfall of giants like IBM and Texas Instruments. For AMD to take the performance crown back they have an enormous perf/transistor deficit to make up. 2.41 billion transistors in Kaveri don't even match the Intel 2500k at 1.16 billion.

Has anyone posted the script of this? I'd rather read than watch this awkward interview...

nvidia proved that too GTX 660 ti needs 150 w and almost 2x faster GTX 970 needs 145 w both are 28 nms

? wut gtx 970 has 148w tdp which is the heat it produces. its power consumption will still be around 250ish w

http://hexus.net/tv/show/2015/01/AMD_CEO_Dr_Lisa_Su_provides_exclusive_insight_to_HEXUS

AMD CEO, Dr Lisa Su, provides exclusive insight to HEXUS.

Some important bits

AMD are still committed to RAW CPU performance.

AMD wants to be define as the one who leads the market innovation

Hints that amd devices will be in wearable, smartphone and cars

More power efficent / high performance apu

bridging x86 & ARM

AMD aiming for 16 ,14,10,7 nm

They are still on 32nm after 3 years, how are they going to hit those targets by the end of the decade?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

you mean the 780ti? the 290x is very very close to it and beats it at 4k. i wouldn't call that nothing.

AMD is not leading in performance. End of story.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

This sounds really good. I like AMD (although I don't own any AMD hardware), as a company they just seem so much better than Nvidia and Intel, more focused on their customers, but I suppose they will do that when they're the underdog. Nevertheless, I don't remember them bringing stupid ideologies into the industry (looking at you Intel), so I would really love them to take the lead in performance and efficiency so it makes sense to buy from them on the CPU side as well as the GPU side.

Bring it on Lisa!

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Not in all cases, but at 4k they are and their R9 295x2 is still the fastest graphics card you can get

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

with intel supporting feminists,amd is what gets my money atleast with the cpu's 

Why u so anti-feminist?

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

290x vs. 780TI the 290x wins in large resolutions like 4K and 5760x1080. It still beats the 980 in some titles at these resolutions as well.

image038.png

I'm showing old benchmarks for a reason, this hasn't been relevant for years now.

But you know what,. lets try a 980.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/10.html

Your scenario is possible, but that doesn't really mean it's a selling point.  Most people don't even come close to touching their existing bandwidth.  For high end workstations it makes sense to keep pushing the envelope but for the vast majority of consumers under that level it's not needed.

Damn,with an overclock on the Xeon my old computer should get some nice FPS then when compared to my newer rig (the mobo was right in the middle of the switch from PCIe 1.1 to PCIe 2).

PMSL

This sounds really good. I like AMD (although I don't own any AMD hardware), as a company they just seem so much better than Nvidia and Intel, more focused on their customers, but I suppose they will do that when they're the underdog. Nevertheless, I don't remember them bringing stupid ideologies into the industry (looking at you Intel), so I would really love them to take the lead in performance and efficiency so it makes sense to buy from them on the CPU side as well as the GPU side.

Bring it on Lisa!

No stupid ideologies? Vishera was AMD's Netburst.

The Q6600 is about $65 right now.

I didn't at all say node shrinks are everything. After all Intel develops ground-up new architectures on a node after it's been tested. If you think about it it's the same thing as the BD revisions on the 28nm process, but with only 1 revision per node.

Also, 4% higher on Intel is a large leap compared to 4% on AMD. Lastly, that's a bit disingenuous about IPC gains. It's 3-4% IPC increase on average. 40% faster float performance is nothing to scoff at for example as Broadwell gained over Haswell.

Why would you go with a $65 Q6660 when you can get an X5450, which is essentially a higher binned Qx9775, from $40-60.

PMSL