AMD CEO Dr Lisa Su, interviewed (Strategy, Radeons, CPUs, consoles )

ahhming

AMD is not leading in performance. End of story.

Check these tests (dutch)

290X beats the 780 TI in nearly every instance, even in 1080P.

Frame times might need some work, but these are old drivers.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

Check these tests (dutch)

290X beats the 780 TI in nearly every instance, even in 1080P.

Frame times might need some work, but these are old drivers.

290x vs. 780TI the 290x wins in large resolutions like 4K and 5760x1080. It still beats the 980 in some titles at these resolutions as well.

Not in all cases, but at 4k they are and their R9 295x2 is still the fastest graphics card you can get

Single card. 980 is better than the 290X overall.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Why would you go with a $65 Q6660 when you can get an X5450, which is essentially a higher binned Qx9775, from $40-60.

The prices down that far? But no my whole point on that was technology prices can drop off a cliff given enough time.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Doubting Intel has been the downfall of giants like IBM and Texas Instruments. For AMD to take the performance crown back they have an enormous perf/transistor deficit to make up. 2.41 billion transistors in Kaveri don't even match the Intel 2500k at 1.16 billion

This is true but the roles are now reversed.  Intel is where IBM and TI were before there downfall.  But I would like to say I don't believe intel will die.  But Intel has held a strong lead in Desktops CPUs, Laptop CPUs and Server CPUs.  Intel would like to control wearables, phones, house tech, car tech, tablets, drones, ect, ect. while holding on to what they have.  I just don't think its possible for them to take it all.

Intel not supporting an open internet ect ect can also cause a crack in their armor

you mean the 780ti? the 290x is very very close to it and beats it at 4k. i wouldn't call that nothing.

What about the titan? or the 980? (even though it's a new card.)

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

What about the titan? or the 980? (even though it's a new card.)

The 780 Ti is better than a Titan in Gaming. Granted it has more memory, but that only goes so far. The R9 290x is better than a Titan in most situations.

The 980 trades blows with the R9 290x at higher res, but wins outright in most cases at 1080p.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This is true but the roles are now reversed. Intel is where IBM and TI were before there downfall. But I would like to say I don't believe intel will die. But Intel has held a strong lead in Desktops CPUs, Laptop CPUs and Server CPUs. Intel would like to control wearables, phones, house tech, car tech, tablets, drones, ect, ect. while holding on to what they have. I just don't think its possible for them to take it all.

Intel not supporting an open internet ect ect can also cause a crack in their armor

If you're referring to Net Neutrality, there are good reasons for that buried between the lines involving privacy.

Nvidia tucked tail and ran when they saw Intel's Larabee chip, canceling a ton of licensing agreements. While it didn't have the performance Intel wanted, what they'd produced scared the graphics King at the time. Every company whichever has said Intel could not compete is either dead or relegated to niche products. IBM is now relegated to mainframes and IP holdings for the most part. Texas Instruments makes weather equipment and calculators. MOS is dead. AMD is now feeling iGPU pressure as well.

Also, IBM fell because it had relied on a fully integrated system model. Intel offered customizability and expandability in addition to better performance. If you think someone's going to come along and steal the performance crown for more than a year you're crazy.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The 780 Ti is better than a Titan in Gaming. Granted it has more memory, but that only goes so far. The R9 290x is better than a Titan in most situations.

The 980 trades blows with the R9 290x at higher res, but wins outright in most cases at 1080p.

Right. Thanks for clearing this up.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

AMD is the company I most want to be good.  Is it bad if I buy their products to help them better compete with Intel in the future?

-Jarro

AMD is the company I most want to be good. Is it bad if I buy their products to help them better compete with Intel in the future?

I mean a free market capitalist would tell you always buy the best product to support quality, but a more intelligent person would say "only if you knowingly accept you are getting a worse product and if you really believe you are helping promote competition."

AMD is sick of TSMC problems - they don't put that much resources anymore into silicone , just re-release same products with lower prices.

All of their resources go to graphene mastering and by 2020 their APU's that everyone is complaining about, dominate low power market . They use their new money to make artificial intelligence that invent them shitload of patents what brings their domination to a whole another level . 

AMD is sick of TSMC problems - they don't put that much resources anymore into silicone , just re-release same products with lower prices.

All of their resources go to graphene mastering and by 2020 their APU's that everyone is complaining about, dominate low power market . They use their new money to make artificial intelligence that invent them shitload of patents what brings their domination to a whole another level .

What are you smoking? TSMC is invested in getting down to 5nm just like everyone else. If they don't keep up they'll lose big business to Samsung. As per Graphene, if you want to see who owns most of that IP, it's IBM and Samsung.

The Q6600 is about $65 right now.

I didn't at all say node shrinks are everything. After all Intel develops ground-up new architectures on a node after it's been tested. If you think about it it's the same thing as the BD revisions on the 28nm process, but with only 1 revision per node.

Also, 4% higher on Intel is a large leap compared to 4% on AMD. Lastly, that's a bit disingenuous about IPC gains. It's 3-4% IPC increase on average. 40% faster float performance is nothing to scoff at for example as Broadwell gained over Haswell.

I am speaking from a debut pricing. The G3258 made its way to the market for no more than $70 while the Q6600 costed over $800 before price cuts and stabilization. In them respects even today at the given price the G3258 is all around faster for essentially the same price point brand new out of the box. The same will happen to high end Haswell in the next five year time frame. Staying on top of bleeding edge technology in this market is hard because of how fast it advances.

I don't recall mentioned nodes in my previous post other than a reply to another user.

Really a 4% jump is nothing major in any ball park as that's entirely from a die shrink. It's agreeable even tho Intel doesn't necessarily need to boost IPC they have been slacking in that department for the past few years. Making the AMD catch up even more viable with Zen. Both companies really shifted their focus on their product designs. AMD mastered their integrated graphics and Intel mastered serial computing. Now both companies have essentially taken the exact opposite motive. More specifications about Carrizo will be released next month.

? wut gtx 970 has 148w tdp which is the heat it produces. its power consumption will still be around 250ish w

Many of the 970s can't draw more than 225w (75 through the PCIe slot and 150 from the single 8-pin or dual 6-pin connectors). Only the versions with 8 and 6+2-pin or dual 8-pin connectors are capable of pulling more than that. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Why u so anti-feminist?

I should clarify; I have no problems with the original feminists, i.e, the feminists who fought back in the day for women's rights, e.g, the right to vote, etc. A good example is CH Sommers, who I quote often.

My problem lies with 3rd wave feminists who bleat and carry on and on about the "patriarchy", "oppression" and "misogyny" while doing nothing about real oppression towards women in the Islamic community, for example. They're only damaging men's rights and morale, while also damaging the standard family model; a tried and tested structure which has held for millions of years, keeping our species alive, healthy and dominant.

Where were the modern feminists when Muslims were raping 1400 young and preteen girls in Rotherham, UK over two decades? Nowhere and silent.

Where are the modern feminists when Muslims are committing actual oppression on women in the middle east? In their comfortable homes in the west, browsing Tumblr and abusing people who don't agree with them.

When they do things like this, I have no respect for them. This is the state of feminism today.

Sorry if you're not actually having a go at me, this is a topic that gets me riled up a lot.

Rant State: FIN

No stupid ideologies? Vishera was AMD's Netburst.

Netburst?

If that's some sort of tech, I'm talking about things like supporting 3rd wave feminazis (Feminist Frequency), which has nothing to do with their business.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

They are still on 32nm after 3 years, how are they going to hit those targets by the end of the decade?

With the help from global foundries I guess

With the help from global foundries I guess

No one except Intel will be on 7nm by the end of the decade, and I can't even say with confidence production will be ready or if that will just be experimentation. We have 14nm gen 2 and 10nm gen 1&2 to get through before 7 is in sight.

And Global Foundries will be hung up on 14/16nm for a while, as it's Samsung's tech, and Samsung can't get its yields above 35% right now for Apple's A9 chips, a problem TSMC is also having.

Very excited to see AMD advance as a company tbh. Everyone hates the name AMD because of their desktop CPU line but that's not all they have to offer.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

For anyone complaining about AMD being more APU focused, keep in mind Intel chips are essentially APUs with a crappy graphics core that no one will realistically use if they can help it. If AMD can deliver a more powerful CPU core and still have onboard graphics that's actually usable beyond light desktop work, it will be a nice thing. Will probably retire the 2500k in 2016 with something from AMD.

Mate you are tripping. A well oced 2500k its years away from anything amd can make.

I expect amd come close to stock sandy bridge performance by 2018. And thats being optimistic, considering  phenom > bulldozer on single thread performance. And FX > kaveri. Seems like they always take 2 generations to make it right

At 4K, in some titles, while consuming more power and not supporting the currently only available variable refresh rate technology.

There's a reason a 780ti sells for more than a 290x even though it has a smaller frame buffer.

And I don't mean to say that AMD's dead and I certainly don't want it to be, but there's no getting around the fact that they've fallen behind and are by no means 'leading on the GPU front'.

295x2. That's the highest end card out there that actually makes sense. For $200 more, you can get almost twice the performance especially when overclocked

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Very excited to see AMD advance as a company tbh. Everyone hates the name AMD because of their desktop CPU line but that's not all they have to offer.

It's about all they have to offer unless you're willing to tolerate HP's poor laptop/ultrabook design/build quality or if you build servers based on Opterons. Yes, graphics cards too, but really that's still all ATI's engineers.

It's about all they have to offer unless you're willing to tolerate HP's poor laptop/ultrabook design/build quality or if you build servers based on Opterons. Yes, graphics cards too, but really that's still all ATI's engineers.

facepalm

intel would be a wreck without amd.

they need amd just as much as amd needs intel.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

facepalm

intel would be a wreck without amd.

they need amd just as much as amd needs intel.

How so? The only thing AMD did which Intel now relies on a license for is the AM64 extension.

How so? The only thing AMD did which Intel now relies on a license for is the AM64 extension.

Monopolies. Intel would not exist without AMD

That extension is exactly what they need AMD for, as well.

Monopolies. Intel would not exist without AMD

That extension is exactly what they need AMD for, as well.

Monopolies are allowed to exist as long as they are achieved through competitive means, even in the US. This is why there are penalties for anti-competitive laws but some monopolies exist anyway.

As long as Intel does not buy AMD out, offer incentives to PC makers to not carry AMD parts, use predatory pricing to force AMD into bankruptcy while Intel can last long term, or use a host of anti-competitive practices defined by laws the world over, there is nothing stopping Intel from becoming a legitimate monopoly. As long as it continues to sell non-restrictive X86 licenses as well it is in no violation of laws concerning barrier of entry.

Also, as long as VIA exists Intel would still not be a monopoly even if AMD went under. As per AM64, Intel would work out a deal to keep access to that IP since it is central to the computing world.