AMD CEO Dr Lisa Su, interviewed (Strategy, Radeons, CPUs, consoles )

ahhming

Content creation and high end gaming.

You didn't answer my first question.

Also, gaming on Carrizo at 4K? That's a laugh. At a 128-bit bus even with color compression it's going to be piss poor and worse than an Mvidia 750TI.

Dual-graphics with a mobile 285/295 could make it an okay experience, but I have my doubts.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Here is a community blog from TekSyndicate and Zoltan (A mod and extreamly inteligent enthusiast) gives some really good incite into the topic (in the comments section).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

You didn't answer my first question.

Also, gaming on Carrizo at 4K? That's a laugh. At a 128-bit bus even with color compression it's going to be piss poor and worse than an Mvidia 750TI.

Dual-graphics with a mobile 285/295 could make it an okay experience, but I have my doubts.

If you looked around at CES 2015 you would see a lot of laptop manufactures have 4k models in the works. Also the machine will run dual graphics with the soon to be released R9 M295X.

If you looked around at CES 2015 you would see a lot of laptop manufactures have 4k models in the works. Also the machine will run dual graphics with the soon to be released R9 M295X.

With dual graphics it can be done, but I doubt frame rates will really be tolerable without very intricate driver and software optimizations for dual graphics.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

With dual graphics it can be done, but I doubt frame rates will really be tolerable without very intricate driver and software optimizations for dual graphics.

Not sure if the iGPU and dGPU will in fact run in dual graphics mode or what. I'm lead to believe the iGPU will idle for compute workloads while the dGPU will be the primary display driver. Tho again it's something that we wont know until it's debut. Dual graphics is definitely possible as both architectures are exactly the same (Carrizo is VI and not PI). It would be the first time seeing dual graphics working outside the scope of entry level cards.

Carrizo will bottleneck a m295x

Carrizo will bottleneck a m295x

Given the supposed 15% ipc increase of excavator over steamroller, maybe not.

What are you talking about? Intel ships by far the most iGPUs and Nvidia ships the most discrete GPUs.

As for performance, the GK110 was released at the beggining of 2013 and AMD still have nothing to beat the now fully enabled version of that chip.

im sorry to say that AMD annihilate Intel on the iGPU/on chip graphics. there is no way that Intel can beat AMD on that front. even @LinusTech has done a video on that where AMD beat them on that 

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

im sorry to say that AMD annihilate Intel on the iGPU/on chip graphics. there is no way that Intel can beat AMD on that front. even @LinusTech has done a video on that where AMD beat them on that 

That's with old tech though, and do not forget that AMD got a head start when the bought Ati. Intel has had to start from scratch and has made massive improvements over the years using all of their own research.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Intel recently has been making big strides in catching up with AMD on the integrated graphics front. Broadwell is appearing to of caught up with the year old Kaveri. Skylake will bring 72 execution units which will put Intel far ahead in integrated graphics performance. Which I personally love that Intel is finally playing this catch up game. As it's going to put a lot of expectations on AMD's shoulders to deliver something better. End result will be stiff competition between the two companies as the APU is one of AMD's biggest revenue points. Which means we may not be talking about APU's as a lower end gaming solution as soon as 2016 arrives. Skylake (if launched before Zen) will be the first to break the 1 TFLOP barrier with integrated consumer graphics. While being a whole year away I personally cannot wait to see what AMD cooks up as we all know they will retaliate to reclaim their market ground. I would love to have a Zen APU with 14-16 compute units and HBM because it's going to take that for AMD to fire shots back across the bow at Intel.

You haven't been keeping up. With the HD 5500 3DMark scores coming out it's looking for certain that Intel's Gen 8 graphics have greater performance density than Kaveri desktop. When HD 6000 lands in the hands of reviewers I think a lot of AMD APU fans are going to be heartbroken.

Intel beat IBM, the king of computing, into the floor on its own turf in just over a decade. To think the same feat isn't repeatable elsewhere is foolish. AMD must remain on their toes, and so must Nvidia since the Tegra X1 with 256 stream processors vs. HD 5500's 192 lost handily at CES in every 3DMark bench.

Intel recently has been making big strides in catching up with AMD on the integrated graphics front. Broadwell is appearing to of caught up with the year old Kaveri. Skylake will bring 72 execution units which will put Intel far ahead in integrated graphics performance. Which I personally love that Intel is finally playing this catch up game. As it's going to put a lot of expectations on AMD's shoulders to deliver something better. End result will be stiff competition between the two companies as the APU is one of AMD's biggest revenue points. Which means we may not be talking about APU's as a lower end gaming solution as soon as 2016 arrives. Skylake (if launched before Zen) will be the first to break the 1 TFLOP barrier with integrated consumer graphics. While being a whole year away I personally cannot wait to see what AMD cooks up as we all know they will retaliate to reclaim their market ground. I would love to have a Zen APU with 14-16 compute units and HBM because it's going to take that for AMD to fire shots back across the bow at Intel.

1)Am I dreaming?

2)actually the first chip with HD 6000 and Iris 6100 will have the honor of first Teraflop consumer chips. 8SIMD/EU * 48EU * 2float-ops/SIMD/cycle * 1.1 * 10^9 cycles per second = 844.8GFlops + ~100GFlops from the CPU, and the iGPU are very overclock able using Intel's XTU even on mobile platforms.

Getting to 1.2GHz on the graphics chip seals the deal even for dual core Intel chips.

1)Am I dreaming?

2)actually the first chip with HD 6000 and Iris 6100 will have the honor of first Teraflop consumer chips. 8SIMD/EU * 48EU * 2float-ops/SIMD/cycle * 1.1 * 10^9 cycles per second = 844.8GFlops + ~100GFlops from the CPU, and the iGPU are very overclock able using Intel's XTU even on mobile platforms.

Getting to 1.2GHz on the graphics chip seals the deal even for dual core Intel chips.

If you consider overclocking a factor then AMD broke the 1 TFLOP barrier with just their iGPU a long time ago.

If you consider overclocking a factor then AMD broke the 1 TFLOP barrier with just their iGPU a long time ago.

7% overclock vs. 50+% for AMD since stick clocks are so low...

7% overclock vs. 50+% for AMD since stick clocks are so low...

You wouldn't need to go that far a bump to 825 MHz will equal the Iris Pro 6200 @ 1100 MHz which is only a 14.6% clock increase.

With a clock increase of 36.1% (980 MHz) the 1 TFLOP mark is passed.

You wouldn't need to go that far a bump to 825 MHz will equal the Iris Pro 6200 @ 1100 MHz which is only a 14.6% clock increase.

With a clock increase of 36.1% (980 MHz) the 1 TFLOP mark is passed.

*doublechecks clock rates, sees 720 instead of 620, has V8 moment*

AMD annihilate Intel on the iGPU/on chip graphics

Is that what you call the iGPU of 7850K barely edging past Iris Pro 5200 in some tests while drawing twice the power and having worse CPU performance?

there's nothing new from interview unfortunetly, where i hope at least She would talk a little about their upcoming "Zen" CPU

there's nothing new from interview unfortunetly, where i hope at least She would talk a little about their upcoming "Zen" CPU

During her interview she pretty much came out and said "if it's not ready you wont hear about it" when referring to next lineup of GPU's. So under her lead AMD is really keeping tight doors.

During her interview she pretty much came out and said "if it's not ready you wont hear about it" when referring to next lineup of GPU's. So under her lead AMD is really keeping tight doors.

Even just saying "you can expect strong improvement" or "HBM is turning into an interesting technology which shows strong potential" wouldn't have revealed anything new but driven fans.