Why is the 4 GFX cards the "limit" in SLI/Crossfire

Why is there a limit of a maximum of 4 graphics cards that you can put in SLI/Crossfire? In theory why not just get a mobo that has a 5th PCIe slot (none exist, but if they did), and slap another one in there.

Is there a reason four is the max? I did some youtubing but nothing came up?

Why not get a case the size of my floor to the roof, a 12 foot motherboard, and get 50way SLI? 

I know that example in silly, but why stop at 4? UNLESS

a triangle has 3 sides, 1 eye, 3+1 =4, 4way SLI, illuminati confirmed

Really though, who made this magical maximum of "4 gpus"

it's just cuz there are no mobos.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Why is there a limit of a maximum of 4 graphics cards that you can put in SLI/Crossfire? In theory why not just get a mobo that has a 5th PCIe slot (none exist, but if they did), and slap another one in there.

Why not get a case the size of my floor to the roof, a 12 foot motherboard, and get 50way SLI? 

The performance goes downhill after 3 and after 4 there really is such little gain that you'd be throwing money in the trash. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

not sure if this is why, but most games don't even use over 2 anyways

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

There isn't enough slots, and plus, you'd run into bandwidth issues.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Software limitations/PCIe bus limitations and such. I've seen a rig run 8 GPU's with four 7990's before, but it probably wasn't used for gaming. Only rendering and mining machines would benefit from over 4 GPU's. I think NVIDIA's current SLI limit is five GPU's, but I may be wrong.

Lack of PCIe slots, not enough bandwidth, not worth it, going from 3 cards in sli/cf to 4 cards in sli/cf has little benefit, so 4 to 5 would have even less.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

AFter 3 cards, the results dont go any higher.

So there's no need for it for consumers really.

(In gaming at least.. Maybe for PIXAR or something it would be helpful. I do believe some 6 way SLI PC's exist)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The performance goes downhill after 3 and after 4 there really is such little gain that you'd be throwing money in the trash. 

You say that to origin and their 20k rigs! If swifty can have 9 monitors in ifinity, we can have a mobo with an extra chromozone (I mean PCIe slot).

We know it goes lower from two, but there are still neckbeards/uber rich peoplethat buy the 3000 waterforce kits (windforce is the shit, waterforce is to steal rich people's money [+1]), origin computers that are 10k+, people will still buy shit for the 3 extra FPS or extra 3dmark points for the 3dmark hall of fame.

Personally if I had 30k to just spend like nothing happened, I'd buy a origin for 20k with the best in slot everything.

I just like your avatar

(In gaming at least.. Maybe for PIXAR or something it would be helpful. I do believe some 6 way SLI PC's exist)

The 3dmark top 10 would disagree; +1fps is worth 10,000$ to them, just to wave their epenor of pixels.

The human race has still not been able to create a board which can such handle the power of 5 GPU TECHNOLOGY> Illuminati Confirmed 

Theres not enough PCI-Express lanes for them to communicate over for more than 4.

4 x 8x PCi-E lanes is 32 PCI-E lanes.

You could make it 5, but then thats 40 which is the maximum on a Haswell-E CPU, and it would leave no spare PCI-E for anything else to communicate. 

PCI-Express is essentially the backbone of your motherboard, and it allows your processor to talk to everything else like your SATA, and other PCI-E cards.

Earlier boards like Z77 could get around the lower limits in the day by adding 8 more PCI-E lanes via a bridge called a PLX Bridge/Chip.

Even before Haswell-E, 4 GPU's wasnt worth it, as they would drop down to 4x, so you would get diminishing returns. Essentially you had very little FPS gain over 3-way.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Who should it be 

illuminati

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

You say that to origin and their 20k rigs! If swifty can have 9 monitors in ifinity, we can have a mobo with an extra chromozone (I mean PCIe slot).

We know it goes lower from two, but there are still neckbeards/uber rich peoplethat buy the 3000 waterforce kits (windforce is the shit, waterforce is to steal rich people's money [+1]), origin computers that are 10k+, people will still buy shit for the 3 extra FPS or extra 3dmark points for the 3dmark hall of fame.

Personally if I had 30k to just spend like nothing happened, I'd buy a origin for 20k with the best in slot everything.

I just like your avatar

If I had $30k to spend, I'd build my own. Or a few of my own.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

But you can't 4 way a Titan Z... why?

EDIT: the limit is in 4 GPU's not in 4 Graphics Cards, right? Because a Graphics card can have 2 GPU's... like the Titan Z and the 7970

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Incorrect. They do not run in SLI. They use them independantly in GPGPU configurations for crunching data, much like a bitcoin miner. This is common in Universities and Science/medical research institutes.

The results do go higher if you have a Haswell-E with 40 PCIe lanes, and modern games with 4-way SLI on X99 with the appropriate CPU can get just as much gain from 4-way as 3-way and 2-way.

You would get very little, to no performance increase on say a Z97 though as they only have ~28 lanes so you would be running x8/x8/x4/x4

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

not sure if this is why, but most games don't even use over 2 anyways

I disagree. They just don't use more than two to the fullest.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

But you can't 4 way a Titan Z... why?

because their dual cards, 1 titan Z = 2 GPUs, so 2 titan Zs = 4 GPUs, and 4 way SLI is the limit

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

current gen cpus an only support 4. the 5930k only has 40 pcie lane support. when you run 4 of them in sli, they take up 32. and good luck finding a motherboard that has support for 5 pci e 16x slots.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

The scaling would be awful anyways. Anything above two way starts to suffer from bad scaling.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There aren't enough slots in the motherboard.

Oh and it's 2015, enough of these "Illuminati confirmed" jokes

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

it's just cuz there are no mobos.

I doubt that. It is because there is no technology to support it yet.

IF it was just to extend the mobo, manufacturers would already have done that. Also there is MBs which have 5x PCIE 16x slots and they could put 5 watercooled GPUs under eachother but it is not supported.

There is also other issues to stop it like simply "It is not needed and cards is raising with smaller and smaller preformence.

2 way SLI: around 40-50% more preformence

3 way: 50-60% more preformence

4 way : 60-70% more...

This is just some simplified statistics, It also depends what cards and what test

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I disagree. They just don't use more than two to the fullest.

that's kinda what I was saying.... jeez

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Bandwidth is fine, depending on the motherboard and if the Gpu is liquid cooled and i/o is single slot; PCI-E slots are a problem either. The problem is scaling, after two GPUs scaling is horrible.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!