The Elder Scrolls Online may go free to play this year

It has long been rumored that The Elder Scrolls Online will go free to play eventually but that day may come sooner rather than later as Zenimax Online has removed one of the subscription options available for the MMO.
Those looking to subscribe can now only choose between 30 day and 90 day options, whereas you used to be able to subscribe for 180 days. This could just be a simple case of the 6 month option not selling very well but many are starting to believe that this may be a prelude to a change in the game’s business strategy

Other MMOs have removed subscription options before hopping on the Free to Play bandwagon in the past. A move to the Free to Play business model may also open the game up to a wider audience, including many of those that refuse to pay subscription fees but may very well buy a micro-transaction or two.
Star Wars: The Old Republic did this a few years back, which has arguably boosted the game’s popularity. It is a little early to tell for now but this may be a sign of things to come. The change over to free to play could also coincide with the game’s delayed launch on the Xbox One and PS4.

My Thoughts - i never understood why you had to pay 60$ to buy the game and buy a monthly subscription to play it ? non sense 

teso-e1420124773542.jpg

Source : http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/the-elder-scrolls-online-may-go-free-to-play-this-year/

Edit : Most free to play games 

KUGOask.gif

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I would play it if it were free.

I thought the BETA was not fun enough to pay 60 euros + subscription fee for it.

However, this has been rumored before, so yeah..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

really if this is true i would def play always wated to but cant afford that kida money to play it 

The beta wasnt that great imho. But, if it does go free, I will pick it up.

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Really crossing my fingers for ftp, I really love the elder scrolls series....

Diamond 5 in League :)

Actually this is a game I would try if it goes free to play AND is not unreasonable (i.e. mostly cosmetic items for purchase no pay to win crap)

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wont mind if they make it a one-time fee.

just get rid of subscription fee. thats stupid imo.

$30 + unlimited play, not pay2win = very fun game

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Finally, if its free to play i'd play the hell out of it, as long as its a good game.  

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

If it goes FTP then I will probably stop playing it since I have yet to see a single game survive for me when they go free.
I can understand that not everyone can/want to pay a monthly sup, but I cannot understand why there is so much hate about it. I guess people just expect the best for nothing and will then still be ranting and raving over <inset game/app here>.

Anyway, I hope this is false and that they continue with the current sub model.

If it goes FTP then I will probably stop playing it since I have yet to see a single game survive for me when they go free.

I can understand that not everyone can/want to pay a monthly sup, but I cannot understand why there is so much hate about it. I guess people just expect the best for nothing and will then still be ranting and raving over <inset game/app here>.

Basically this^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Basically this^

the only reason i am not playing it because of the superscription model  , why would i pay every month even after i buy the game for 60$ ? if i buy a game for a price , then i should expect for it work so that i can play , if i wanted a subscription model , then atleast make the game free meaning , i don't want to pay 60$ for it 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

the only reason i am not playing it because of the superscription model  , why would i pay every month even after i buy the game for 60$ ? if i buy a game for a price , then i should expect for it work so that i can play , if i wanted a subscription model , then atleast make the game free meaning , i don't want to pay 60$ for it 

Well, look at it like this: If you buy a game you pay maybe 60$ and have fun for a week (if you are lucky). Here you pay for the game and for the sub price /mo you can play and hove fun for the whole month (if the game is good).

The subscription model also means they know how much money they have and can commit to release schedules instead of you having to wait for expansions for new content.

I hope this helps. Edit: as in, I hope this helps you understand my point of view and how sub models normally work that is :)

EDIT (sorry I missed that part): I can understand the point of make the game free so you just pay to subscribe, but it is still like any other game, you do get 30 days of game time with most (all?) subscriptions MMOs with the initial price of the game

Well, look at it like this: If you buy a game you pay maybe 60$ and have fun for a week (if you are lucky). Here you pay for the game and for the sub price /mo you can play and hove fun for the whole month (if the game is good).

The subscription model also means they know how much money they have and can commit to release schedules instead of you having to wait for expansions for new content.

I hope this helps. Edit: as in, I hope this helps you understand my point of view and how sub models normally work that is :)

i am not against Sub model , i understand it , paying for the game as well as a Sub model is just stupid , if i wanted to get in a sub model i rather not pay for the game and a sub model as well , doesn't make any sense 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

as person that has been in the beta i have to say that his is nice, altough i hope that its a bit better optimized now then back then.

altough this rumour/idea has been around already form the start of the game and even before so it shouldnt be too surprising if it happens.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Have people not learned yet?

The only game currently running worth having a subscription for is World of Warcraft. Solely for the refined system, well established servers and millions of people. (In terms of MMORPG)

Yes there are MMORPS with better PvP or PvE. But World of Warcraft is like Jack of all Trades. Not necessarily bad in all areas but not great either.

Even that Star Wars MMORPG had an amazing story, but I felt the gameplay was lackluster. They also went F2P.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Not a surprise really.

The best MMOs are subscription, free to play is more often than not pay-to-win garbage. Problem is TESO is garbage, and subscription, and upfront cost.

Too many models all at once.

as person that has been in the beta i have to say that his is nice, altough i hope that its a bit better optimized now then back then.

altough this rumour/idea has been around already form the start of the game and even before so it shouldnt be too surprising if it happens.

I was in Beta and have been playing on/off since release and it has seen some serious improvements. The game, how it was in the beta, was frankly quite bad but they have done a cracking job getting it up on its feet.

I would wait with subbing though until then next content patch since it should introduce the champion system.

Just thought I would give a small update :)

I remember years ago (probably more years than the average age of 75% of the people here) when bethesda said they will not release an mmo until it can introduce a revolutionary concept to the industry. 15 years later Bethesda and some no name company create TESO. My hearts been bleeding for this game for 15 years. 15 YEARS! It was the largest upset in gaming history as far as im concerned. Im not going to sugar coat it, the game is terrible and im so glad i didn't spend money on it. It just saddens me because this was clearly a move for a cash grab. Shame on bethesda. 

I was in Beta and have been playing on/off since release and it has seen some serious improvements. The game, how it was in the beta, was frankly quite bad but they have done a cracking job getting it up on its feet.

I would wait with subbing though until then next content patch since it should introduce the champion system.

Just thought I would give a small update :)

thanks for the small update, altough i will wait anyway since i was running it quite poorlly on my system with everything on low, the FPS was just to low for a certain amount of realism since the response was pretty slow.

i will keep an eye on it for sure now.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

F2P means stay far away. Most of the core players will leave the game. Happens in most games, that go F2P. I myself leave every game that takes this route and refuse to play any F2P model

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

EDIT (sorry I missed that part): I can understand the point of make the game free so you just pay to subscribe, but it is still like any other game, you do get 30 days of game time with most (all?) subscriptions MMOs with the initial price of the game

That's subjective: I bought Skyrim as a single player game, have never attempted any co-ops mods (which do exist) and still log 1200 hours currently. Games like Guilds of Wars and now FTP have debunked the myth that you must charge to keep good servers online that is just simply not true and it's just pure fucking profit: You design your game like an entertaining but MASSIVE time sink and get players addicted to it and paying, the rest is taken care of by that same addiction behavior of people rationalizing their stupid fucking expense monthly on a videogame.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I bought ESO and played for just over a month, going through all the storyline and lore and then I quit, realizing the game itself should never have been an MMO. Put bluntly, Dragon Age Inquisition would have made a better MMO than ESO (it was originally intended to be multiplayer only), but I'm glad EA/Bioware stuck to their guns and didn't get sucked into the almost dead genre that is MMORPG.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I will continue my policy of refusing to acknowledge the existence of this game. A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Never forget. Never forgive.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-