"Google is too dominant to simply leave"

XTankSlayerX

spanish-newspaper-el-pais-pierre-philipp

^SOURCE^

Spain's old-school media clearly has a more complicated relationship with the internet than it first thought. Mere hours after Google shut down its News service in the country to avoid a law that will make it pay for article results, the Spanish Newspaper Publishers' Association (AEDE) is asking for the government to make Google come back. They claim that Google is too "dominant" in the market to simply leave, and that its absence will "undoubtedly have a negative impact" on both businesses and the public. AEDE insists that it's willing to negotiate to keep News around, but it believes that Google refuses to take a "neutral stance."

The request might be optimistic. Effectively, the publishers hope to have their cake and eat it too -- they want Google News to return and bring them visitors, but they also want Google to stay under terms it doesn't like. As it stands, AEDE acknowledges that Google is "free" to close shop without intervention. Unless newspapers get the support they're looking for, they may have to either walk away from the legislation they like or accept the new status quo.

I've never thought of this impacting a entire industry like Google has done with them leaving Spain due to new Laws which require them to pay for article results. 

#prayforthespaniards

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

That was much faster that i though, the germans holded at least 2 weeks, they don't even lasted a day

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Spain:

dont-go.gif

#prayforthespaniards

#nobodyexpectsthespanishinquisition 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

That's what happens when a government perceives that a corporation is controlling the flow of news information in their country. That's what this is really about when you dig to the bottom of it. Google does not make revenue off of Google News, nor do they steal the audiences from the Spanish News outlets, but in fact redirect viewers to the various news outlets bolstering interest in current events. It just boils down to who is controlling what news gets displayed on Google News and from what source, and Google has basically put their foot down and said "If we are not controlling what news gets the headline on Google News, then no one will." 

Good job spain. you can censor your news more easily now.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

That's what happens when a government perceives that a corporation is controlling the flow of news information in their country. That's what this is really about when you dig to the bottom of it. Google does not make revenue off of Google News, nor do they steal the audiences from the Spanish News outlets, but in fact redirect viewers to the various news outlets bolstering interest in current events. It just boils down to who is controlling what news gets displayed on Google News and from what source, and Google has basically put their foot down and said "If we are not controlling what news gets the headline on Google News, then no one will." 

Good job spain. you can censor your news more easily now.

well the law that was about to forward this was brought up by a lobbyist, don't remember from where but it was from somewhere important in the news industry

Btw these are the SAME PEOPLE, who lobbied for Google to have to pay the fines and for them to be non-negotiable.

And they expected Google to stay, and nw they are leaving , they are requesting them to stay.

annoyed-facepalm-picard-l.png

@AlexGoesHigh

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

My only comment here is this:

This is probably the most flagrant demonstration of old media being replaced by new media. And I find it funny, because all these publications go under assumptions of Google as if it was an old media style organization. It's not, and one of the things about new media in this day and age is that you have every choice as to where you get your news from, so much so that most old media publications are now threatened because of this. And funny thing is, they really can't stop it.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

What's Google News?

As long as google search works then I'm happy.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Did anyone expect this to turn out any differently. They bit the hand that feed them and are now crying that there's no food.

I say good for Google, this is pretty awesome.

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

I really don't like the idea that one company has so much control that a whole industry is beholden to them.  It's just as bad as a dictatorship or corrupt government. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Next time how about you don't copypasta the whole source article eh?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I really don't like the idea that one company has so much control that a whole industry is beholden to them. It's just as bad as a dictatorship or corrupt government.

That's not the case.

What Google News does is collate local news services into one easy place for free. It does not censor/discriminate. Spain wants Google to have to pay tge owners of the articles they link too.

As such, Google are stepping out. Now, the spanish media are noticing a huge decrease in traffic as Google isn't directing people to them.

As such, they want Google to come back to get more traffic, amd get money from Google.

Cake and eat it.

Countries like the UK that have media outlets payed for with taxes (The BBC) don't have this problem. It's only in countries with entirely private media.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

"The soviet union is too dominant to simply leave"

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.