Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Aibohphobia

Aiboh hasn't recorded any hard data on this yet (via controlled methods), but he mentioned anecdotally on HF that it looked to be a 10C improvement when playing BF4, compared to the Noctua NH-C12.

Wow thats alot, regarding the HDD cage, I think that it is more practical to have room for 3,5'' harddrives, but maybe thats just me. Anyway i will be following this topic closely.

Let's think about this...

Having 5 expansion slots in 17lt case is what made this build so unique in the first place. There is no other case like it, if you're someone who wants 2 expansion slots you have a plethora of choices, if you want 4 your choices are just has good, but 5 come on how many do you have honestly. I understand that you want to please everyone but don't take away what made this project so unique in the first place. I was looking forward to building an x99 dual gpu system sigh:(

Holy crap this is baddass. The Grand-LAN-Master.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

Let's think about this...

Having 5 expansion slots in 17lt case is what made this build so unique in the first place. There is no other case like it, if you're someone who wants 2 expansion slots you have a plethora of choices, if you want 4 your choices are just has good, but 5 come on how many do you have honestly. I understand that you want to please everyone but don't take away what made this project so unique in the first place. I was looking forward to building an x99 dual gpu system sigh:(

Just to be clear, the case will still have 5 slots.

I'm just trying to gauge whether it's worth the time to develop an optional hard drive cage since using it would block off the bottom 3 slots.

Holy crap this is baddass. The Grand-LAN-Master.

Thanks! I took it to a small local LAN last week and it was by far the most powerful rig there but also a fraction the size of anyone else's  :D

@Aibohphobia good luck with the rest of the project. I'm just imagining this rig at Lan events next to full tower systems and kicking them in the buttholes. The Lan-Gods have have spoken.

Wow very nice! I have a custom test bench but it's nothing on this. I've had an idea for something, it might be worth having a look at the resources share here. Many thanks and very well done!

So pretty! I can tell you put a lot if work into this! It's awesome!

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Wow very nice! I have a custom test bench but it's nothing on this. I've had an idea for something, it might be worth having a look at the resources share here. Many thanks and very well done!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm not an engineer but I've learned a lot and I'd be happy to help.

So pretty! I can tell you put a lot if work into this! It's awesome!

Thanks! I wish I had kept track but there's definitely several hundred hours of work in this project.

Not sure yet, I'm aiming for $250-$300 but there's a lot of details that need to be sorted out before I can get a better idea of price.

I would buy. However, you need to do an even smaller mini-itx version. What are the max dimensions each direction?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

I would buy. However, you need to do an even smaller mini-itx version. What are the max dimensions each direction?

I've thought about an ITX version, pretty much just knock two slots off and shorten the depth.

Here's the overall dimensions of the prototype (including feet, handle, and PCI flange):

H x W x D: 350 x 170 x 343mm

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm not an engineer but I've learned a lot and I'd be happy to help.

Thanks very much i'll keep that in mind! I was actually toying with SLI in the NCASE project i'm working on (an active PCI-E riser with PLX chip for 2 slots) but it all got a bit tough in the end. That's ok NCASE will be 'modest' X99 can be silly :)

I was planning on making my own case and wanted to make a 3D model; where did you find reference for the pci slots on the back? I poked around for a while but I couldn't find any specifications...

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

I was planning on making my own case and wanted to make a 3D model; where did you find reference for the pci slots on the back? I poked around for a while but I couldn't find any specifications...

Sketchup Warehouse is good

Steve

Thanks very much i'll keep that in mind! I was actually toying with SLI in the NCASE project i'm working on (an active PCI-E riser with PLX chip for 2 slots) but it all got a bit tough in the end. That's ok NCASE will be 'modest' X99 can be silly :)

That's awesome! Do you have a build log or anything? I've looked into PCIe splitters but there's so little info about them.

I hear ya, you have to be a paid member of the PCIe committee to get access to the physical form factor spec sheets.

I used this SketchUp model: http://scc.jezmckean.com/item/509

And these technical papers: http://www.protocase.com/resources/

That's awesome! Do you have a build log or anything? I've looked into PCIe splitters but there's so little info about them.

I managed to dig up a really old thread on OCN and spoke with a guy who custom manufactured these cards for customs erver applications but confirmed that they work with GPU's as well. There was issue with the motherboard I had (Z97i-Plus) but had validated others. I'll have to try find the thread for you if you would like to know more. I never really discussed it in the build log as it was going to be a "secret weapon" NCASE build is still ongoing, looking at installed dual 240mm rads. Link in signature.

I managed to dig up a really old thread on OCN and spoke with a guy who custom manufactured these cards for customs erver applications but confirmed that they work with GPU's as well. There was issue with the motherboard I had (Z97i-Plus) but had validated others. I'll have to try find the thread for you if you would like to know more. I never really discussed it in the build log as it was going to be a "secret weapon" NCASE build is still ongoing, looking at installed dual 240mm rads. Link in signature.

If it's not too much trouble I'd be interested in that thread.

Nice build log, that test bench is pretty sweet.

As a note, I saw you mention the SX600-G chirping, it's annoying but I haven't found a suitable replacement fan yet because the PSU uses a 0-5V operating range.

As a note, I saw you mention the SX600-G chirping, it's annoying but I haven't found a suitable replacement fan yet because the PSU uses a 0-5V operating range.

Other people have posted the videos from my experience with my PSU its exactly the same, but so quiet I wouldn't even bother correcting it, it's no issue for me.

I'm a bit of a water cooling newb, I've installed many AIO units but have never done a custom loop.

Nova is designed primarily for air cooling or AIO units but I'm sure people will want to cram a custom loop in there so I need advice on what parts to get for test fitting.

Any suggestions for radiators, reservoirs, or pumps?

I can't buy everything but I'll purchase a few of the popular items to test fit.

I was also thinking of adding support for the FrozenQ custom M1 reservoir

v783.jpg

Great little case, good luck with your further development.

Sorry, accidental double post.  :(

Great little case, good luck with your further development.

Thanks!

nice rig,great form factor 

Thanks, I really like the proportions of the case too.

Here's a mockup I did to see how water cooling would work, this is the Alphacool ST30 240mm with 15mm fans.

2015-01-18-Nova-240mm-rad-mockup4.png

Thoughts? I'm a custom loop newb so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks, I really like the proportions of the case too.

Here's a mockup I did to see how water cooling would work, this is the Alphacool ST30 240mm with 15mm fans.

Thoughts? I'm a custom loop newb so any input would be appreciated.

You wouldn't be able to fit a custom loop as you'd also need a place to put the reservoir and pump.

Steve

You wouldn't be able to fit a custom loop as you'd also need a place to put the reservoir and pump.

It would work with the FrozenQ M1 reservoir mounted to the back (with added tubing holes of course) and something like the Apogee Drive II.

Or I suppose you could mount some kind of reservoir to the side bracket so everything's internal.

Pump will be tricky, there's really not room for a separate unit.

It would work with the FrozenQ M1 reservoir mounted to the back (with added tubing holes of course) and something like the Apogee Drive II.

Or I suppose you could mount some kind of reservoir to the side bracket so everything's internal.

Pump will be tricky, there's really not room for a separate unit.

You could mount a tubular reservoir w/ pump to the back which I've seen people done and It doesn't look too bad.

Steve

You could mount a tubular reservoir w/ pump to the back which I've seen people done and It doesn't look too bad.

That would work. I was also thinking if you had short cards (like the 970), a pump could sit on top the rad towards the front.