[EDITED]Should builders cheap out on the case?

WinnerYG

When i was looking everywhere, i saw at all the forums that people usually cheap out of the case. I personally don't think you should cheap out on a case because it holds all your component together. But i wanna know what you guys think?

That poll is bad, no offense, there needs to be an in-between.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

K-POP!

And really, it depends. 

If it's a budget build, we'll have no choice but to cheap out on the case. 

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

The cases offers virtually nothing to the build. Just make sure it's has decent airflow, you like the aesthetics,  and you'll be fine with anything.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

If I am going to build something, I am not going to buy a cheap case, unless it is the bitfenix shadow, then I will buy it. 

Depends, There are some really nice (imo) budget cases out there that i think would be great for any kind of build be it budget or high end however personally, i tend to lean towards $150ish range when im picking a case with my most recent being the corsair 760T white edition :D Love this thing to freaking death its just soooooooo sexy

Any 20-30 dollar case can hold most of the hardware that a more expensive case can hold as long as you air cool, it's just harder to work in.

Expensive cases are luxury.

Edit: it's not entireley true on second thought. The case should support a few more fan mounts than the standard 1 front intake 1 rear exhaust and it should secureley hold the HDDs.

who cares...

I think it's fine... I've seen a bunch of well-designed and well-made cases in the 5-15USD price range...

I think its up to the builder but if your going to build a top gaming spec pc you should get a case to throw enough cool air over the system

why have a case with say 1x 120mm fan when you can get a case with 4+ 120mm fans

Imo unless you reall care about aesthetics, a cheap case is fine. As long as you can put in all your components it will do the job. Obviously cable management is an issue, but in all honesty it's not a huge deal

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

There is an option missing.

THE CASE SHOULD MATCH THE PRICE POINT!

If you are buying $500 worth of components buy a 50-60 dollar case. If you spending 4k on a pc buy a more expensive case.

Imo unless you reall care about aesthetics, a cheap case is fine. As long as you can put in all your components it will do the job. Obviously cable management is an issue, but in all honesty it's not a huge deal

your forgot air flow, watercooling options, build quality, expand ability and all the other things that you should look at when buying a case...

your forgot air flow, watercooling options, build quality, expand ability and all the other things that you should look at when buying a case...

Like I said, not really a huge deal. As long as you have good quality components and don't overclock a bunch most cases will do just fine. And about build quality, like I said as long as you can put your components in it and it doesn't break you're fine. Almost any case will do

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Like I said, not really a huge deal. As long as you have good quality components and don't overclock a bunch most cases will do just fine. And about build quality, like I said as long as you can put your components in it and it doesn't break you're fine. Almost any case will do

This statement couldn't be more wrong....

There are many things that are a MUST when it comes to a pc case. Some of this things aren't included in some cases.

Not "any case will do". Not at all...

I spend more on the case than the CPU in some of my "I have time so let's d*ck around on PCPartPicker" builds. I like silent cases and those are pricey. I do think you can go cheap in some scenarios though. Cooler Master makes amazing cheap cases (N-series) and those are functional in the extreme, just a little bland looking to most.

I still recommend selecting the case as the first component of the build for most people though because each person likes different aesthetics and some people don't care about silence or airflow and whatnot.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

This statement couldn't be more wrong....

There are many things that are a MUST when it comes to a pc case. Some of this things aren't included in some cases.

Not "any case will do". Not at all...

Well, we can agree to disagree.

600$ build for me excluding case.

200$ case.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well, we can agree to disagree.

Im just saying that if you buy a case with say... bad airflow it will affect the temperatures of the core components and thus over all performance. 

Im just saying that if you buy a case with say... bad airflow it will affect the temperatures of the core components and thus over all performance. 

That is true, but I'm just saying unless you have a realllyyy amazing build most cases will suffice.

if it's a budget build, sure. If it holds the components then it does it's job.

if it's a decent sized build (700+ USD), then no. Linus had a video on futureproofing a while ago, and he said the one thing that can actually be future proofed is the case -- so invest in a good one. 

if I can find the video, I'll link it.

This one?

If I go the watercooling route i will be in the $2.5k mark

I spent $70 on the case but the s340 is in exception IMO plus the fantastic airbrushing I got done on it just makes it even nicer

@syrazpc - for all my rambles about PC's -- My Gallifreyan Build In Progress

The case is important to me, I am even buying a new one because I am sick of my current one. Better cases mean more cooling options, more space to work with etc. And how else are you meant to show the console lesser race friends of yours how superior you are?

I would say absolutely not. Building in a bad case can be enough to put you off building all together. And then when all is said and done the fruits of your labour is an awful looking PC.

Would you put a Ferrari engine in this?
lada.jpg

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

If you have a very tight budget then yes, but with a quick update.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1